Shooting rest for tripod

I have a Manfrotto panhead and was hoping there was a way I could slap a bog-pod style rest on with a quick mount plate.

I almost bought a bog pod but don't want to carry both shooting sticks and a tripod for my 80mm spotter, and bog's ball and panheads don't look too great.

I saw this - https://www.amazon.com/Hammers-attachment-Camera-monopod-shooting/dp/B005F0S29G - but it looks kind of small and doesn't rotate, and I've seen all the A-R style ones that start at $150 and that's more than I'm looking to spend.

Any other options out there? Also, bad idea to shoot off of your panhead?

Vandy321

WKR
A more permanent option...

I had a 2.5" RRS arca swiss plate mounted to the bottom of my stock, just in front of the BDL. Tripod will support the rifle so you can fiddle with rangefinder or kestrel or whatever else if you need to and rifle can still be on target and ready to rock.

Cost me about $50 installed from my smith.

OP
G
A more permanent option...

I had a 2.5" RRS arca swiss plate mounted to the bottom of my stock, just in front of the BDL. Tripod will support the rifle so you can fiddle with rangefinder or kestrel or whatever else if you need to and rifle can still be on target and ready to rock.

Cost me about $50 installed from my smith.

Cool idea! It would be nice if it would screw into where the swivel stud goes.

I got one like that and it’s ok, but I really don’t like shooting off the tripod. Shootings sticks are way easier and faster to adjust for me. Also steadier. But for $10 it’s a cheap experiment and maybe it will work for you

Baron85

WKR
I actually posted the same question yesterday and ordered the same v rest you posted from amazon. For the $10 I figured it’s worth a shot. I’m going to mount an arca plate to the V and use that to attach to my fluid head or ball head. Huge weight savings over my bipod and more versatile since you can use it from prone, sifting, kneeling, or standing. Probably won’t be as stable as the Bipod but should be plenty for out to 400-500 yards.

I also looked at the clamp type mounts like the pig saddle but they are significantly heavier, slower to put the rifle in if your going to clamp it, and slower to get the rifle out if clamped. I thought of coyote hunting, and the ability to pull the rifle and swing to a different direction quickly sealed the deal for the V style over the clamp style.

OP
G
I got one like that and it’s ok, but I really don’t like shooting off the tripod. Shootings sticks are way easier and faster to adjust for me. Also steadier. But for $10 it’s a cheap experiment and maybe it will work for you

That's what I thought, if I don't like it I'll just buy a bog pod and pack both. It's just for my antelope hunt this year. I've never carried them before but used my buddies shooting sticks to make a tough shot a few years ago and was impressed.

That's what I thought, if I don't like it I'll just buy a bog pod and pack both. It's just for my antelope hunt this year. I've never carried them before but used my buddies shooting sticks to make a tough shot a few years ago and was impressed.

If I have enough time, getting prone on a pack is best. If not, shooting sticks are quick and steady enough for 350 (to me). The tripod setup was slow and not steady enough. I used the stony point sticks for years, just got the wiser precision trekking pole kit and will be using them from now on.

Chevynbow

FNG
RRS tripod w/an Anvil 30 along with an Arca type rail on the forend is as solid as it gets.

You can only use a Grey Ops plate to shoot off of...