Shooting Rifle and wearing hearing aids

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
Good afternoon everyone. So this October I will be going on a rifle elk hunt in NM. As you may have guessed by the post title I do wear hearing aids. Typically when I hunt back home, Alabama, I don't worry with wearing them because I can still hear just not as good and mostly I am hunting alone in a blind or shooting house during gun season. However, when I go on my guided hunt I will need to wear them so I can hear my guide as we converse back and forth. I have read where you can take product such as walker game ear muffs and put them on over your ears while still wearing the hearing aids and it will still protect your hearing. Now obviously it would prob be better to remove hearing aids all together prior to shooting but may not have time for that. Does anyone here have the same issue I have and how do you get around it? Thanks

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
I do and it’s a PITA. The muffs would work but it gets pretty tiring wearing them, although you would want to use them without the aids. For shooting clays I use an in the ear type of electronic plug. Works pretty well and serves as a hearing aid too. I think mine is a Peltor.

OP
T

taz_gerstman

Lil-Rokslider
I do have a pair of the walker game ears that are like hearing aids that I need to try out more to see if they really work and fit well and don't hurt my ears after wearing for long periods of time.

Hogyotedeer

Banned
I use Walker’s game ears, one in both ears. They are very comfortable. The most important thing is they block the muzzle blast, like an ear plug. I know some of you young folks will say I am only going to shoot once, well let me tell you that is all it takes to permanently damage your hearing, to have a permanent ringing in your ears.

The differences I have seen between the Walkers and the Woodland Whispers, the woodland product does not have dampening, the package even states to remove before firing a firearm. I would not recommend them. Walker’s products have dampening and are designed to help protect your hearing. I think my hearing, and the hearing of my children are worth the price of the game ears. How much is your hearing worth to you?