Shooting Schools with a Hunting focus?

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Who has taken one? What did you like about it? Would you do the same one again? Seems like a fun way to spend a weekend.
If you haven't take one, what one are looking at?

Thinking more along the basics vs. the advanced ones. Not looking for advanced war fighter training, just a fundamental based school. Something that helped ensure the rifle/scope combo was set up properly, critiqued shooting skills and added to them.

Something like this one:
General Scoped Rifle | Leupold

Would be sweet if Rokslide had one every year. Be great way for the supporting vendors to highlight some gear... ;)
Maybe even add a fundraising aspect to support the Public Land battles..

EDIT:
Going to add links that come up through this thread.
http://www.magpuldynamics.com/backcountry-hunter.html

Last edited:
OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Jimi! I am going to the Sportsman Show in Puyallup, WA tonight. I believe MOA has a booth. I'll swing by and check it out!

Steve O

WKR
Classified Approved
Len Backus has one in conjunction with Non Typical Outfitters in Wyoming I thought might be a good one.

338edge

Lil-Rokslider
Defensive Edge. Great class. Gun builder and teacher all in one. Pm for details.

Corey

Having never been to one of these classes, can guys who have been to one tell me a few things about them? What is it that you gain in these classes beyond learning ballistics, dope, rifle/scope data, form...etc? I'm solid on all of my ballistics and have shot out to 750 yards sufficiently in the field, just tinkering around. Am I going to learn the perfect shooting form and ways to be like a repetitious machine to perform consistent shots out hunting at say 1000 yards? Laying on the side of a mountain is a tough position to be in, and I'm wondering if just getting out and doing trigger time with a Sig Kilo 2400 and wind meter along with my hunt partner as a spotter will be more productive? For me, I'm looking at basically spending $800 to take a 2 day shooting course, or do I just go out and do a bunch of local long range shooting out in the field under various wind and weather conditions perfecting my form?

I don't really need a "network" of long range shooters who I can tap into for information, I just want to be able to go hunt and kill things at farther distances if necessary, although I prefer to stalk in close.

Having never been to one of these classes, can guys who have been to one tell me a few things about them? What is it that you gain in these classes beyond learning ballistics, dope, rifle/scope data, form...etc? I'm solid on all of my ballistics and have shot out to 750 yards sufficiently in the field, just tinkering around. Am I going to learn the perfect shooting form and ways to be like a repetitious machine to perform consistent shots out hunting at say 1000 yards? Laying on the side of a mountain is a tough position to be in, and I'm wondering if just getting out and doing trigger time with a Sig Kilo 2400 and wind meter along with my hunt partner as a spotter will be more productive? For me, I'm looking at basically spending $800 to take a 2 day shooting course, or do I just go out and do a bunch of local long range shooting out in the field under various wind and weather conditions perfecting my form?

I don't really need a "network" of long range shooters who I can tap into for information, I just want to be able to go hunt and kill things at farther distances if necessary, although I prefer to stalk in close.

Really?You mean you apparently need a network of long range shooters you can tap into to ask this question. Right? Lol! I haven’t been to a specific class and I feel like I’m always learning but I’ve been fortunate to know a bunch of very talented LR shooters that have effectively given me classes. If I could afford one and I didn’t have the resources I have to draw on, I’d darn sure be signing up for one or two, at least. I’d STILL take just about any class if I could spare the funds. You would certainly learn more than how to run a ballistic app. Form is a huge part of every class I’ve ever heard of and there’s all sorts of tricks and techniques you can learn whether you’re hunting men or sheep. No doubt that enough range time, YouTube video and online ‘networks of long range shooters you can tap into’ (couldn’t help myself) and you can figure out most of it. But how many hours/days/months/years and $$ on ammo to get there? Depends on your outlook. If you’ve got the time, money and patience to figure it out all on your own. But it’s a steep learning curve. I wouldn’t trade the instruction I’ve gotten for anything. For me, it’d be money well spent that will make my range time even that much more productive. But it’s an individual perspective that varies from person to person, based on their needs and situation. Nobody but you can desire if it’s “worth it” or not for you. Sure would/is for me.

Even the world’s great snipers are constantly learning, training, attending schools and seeking out coaches (from their network of long range shooters they tend to draw on) to improve their abilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks Brushy, I appreciate the input and thoughts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Scottyboy

WKR
If I were to do one, I would make sure they let you bring your own setup. While I understand that adds a bunch of unknowns to the instructors with “unproven” gear..I don’t think it’s doing anyone any favors by going and shooting vendor X’s $10k rifle setup out to 1000 yards or whatever it is and then having that confidence to go home and make the same shot with your “unproven” gear

Yes fundamentals are fundamentals and is applied the same between a $10k rifle and a $2k rifle, but personally I would want to learn those skills on my own gear, that I use everyday

OP
Matt W.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree, would want to learn on my gear. Biggest advantage IMO would be having an expert oversee my technique and verify my setup.

Akicita

WKR
Makhaira Group in Northern Colorado - All of their instructors are real world professionally experienced as well as long range big game hunters too. They offer basic scoped rifle courses all the way through a two and half day long range precision rifle class with an emphasis on hunting. They cover the basics and progress all students patiently to 1000 yards. Definitely a bargain at $675 because it includes all materials, dope book, class T-Shirt and 3 meals a day. 3 to 1 student to instructor ratios provides a lot of 1 on 1 coaching.

slowelk

WKR
406 Precision in Twin Bridges, MT. They have a couple of different offerings depending on how serious you want to get. Owners are down to earth and knowledgeable.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think these types of skill will provide you with confidence more than anything. I don't think you learn a great deal unless you are just new to hunting / long range shooting. You will get a chance to test your equipment and see the results, which will build your confidence in your system.

Gunwerks also runs a top notch shooting school.

Brado16

WKR
Bumping this back up. Any other recommendations for a LR Course centered around hunting?

I am looking to take a course this summer with my Father and Brother whom have hunted their entire lives however I would consider them complete newbies to LR Shooting. I have been LR shooting and reloading for about 8 years now and consider myself well knowledged in LR shooting, ballistics, reloading etc. but still would like to take the class with them and get more education and hands on instruction shooting in the mountains with wind as those "hunting" scenarios are hard to duplicate here in the midwest.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Bowhuntone

Lil-Rokslider
I have looked at the Magpul backcountry hunters course. It has couple days of range instruction the a two day backpack course in the north cascades with mountain shooting scenarios. And the north cascades are rugged and beautiful.

Check out either
Homepage or
guideriteadventures.com/backcountry-hunters-course/ this is the guy Magpul works with

- - - Updated - - -

YouTube

Brado16

WKR
I have looked at the Magpul backcountry hunters course. It has couple days of range instruction the a two day backpack course in the north cascades with mountain shooting scenarios. And the north cascades are rugged and beautiful.

Check out either
Homepage or
guideriteadventures.com/backcountry-hunters-course/ this is the guy Magpul works with

- - - Updated - - -

YouTube
I had looked at this course about a year ago but don't see it on Magpuls website. Do you know if they still offer it?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk