Shooting solution for 1200 and in?

So im sure there is a myriad of techniques.
And they answered a couple of questions on the Avery adventures podcast for me.
But for some reason I just can't wrap my head around how to get a solution to make a cold bore hit at 1200 and in on a hunting situation.
Let me tell you what I have done so far and hopefully you can share your experiences and fill the gap in for me.
So let's say I already have an accurate rifle/load and a reliable scope.
So I have an Rpr with a 1/4" moa load, zeroed the rifle and chronographed it.
Used the vortex app to make a holdover chart.
It took 6 rounds to walk it in on a rock at about 650.
Went back into the app and changed the muzzle velocity until the chart matched what I actually had dialed.
The new chart got me hits at 760 and 925 ish.
Fast forward to a different day with the 2nd chart in the same area but not the same rock. I was close but had to ad a click .25 moa for the elevation to be correct. 2nd rd hit at 625ish.
My older 1200 Lieca range finder does not have angle comp.
I do not have any weather meter.
I could use a more live app like shooter or applied, but dont I need a kestrel to input the data? Or at least service so it can pull weather online?
Would it be accurate enough if I updated the app 1st thing in the morning then dropped down about 500ft in the canyon where I no longer have service?
I'd still have to put an angle meter on the rifle?

What options to i have here, what are you guys using?
Feel like i should just get a kestrel elite and a 2800.com
But i also want to learn rather then just push the easy button.
Thanks in advance for the help.

IMO if you really want to become proficient at long range you need to invest in all the proper equipment. You need to upgrade your rangefinder definitely. Applied ballistics is a great app also.
Your solutions can only be as accurate as the info you are providing so yes get a weather meter or rangefinder that is able to take those readings for you.
Learn how to use them and how to read the wind and thermals and then practice practice practice.

Shooter will Input the angle for you and azimuth if you hold your phone on the barrel with the rifle on target. I use the weather flow meter which is or was $70 when I bought it a few years ago. Has all the same environmental data as kestrel. I think your rangefinder is fine unless you have trouble ranging things you think you should be reading. Shooter does not need service to function just to pull weather if that’s what you wanted to do but I’m pretty positive the weather at your location will be much different. There is also a barometer app that’s free and will give you barometric pressure then if you estimate temp and set humidity to 50% you will be close but probably need to be more exact at 800 plus.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
First things first, I'd switch to using Density Altitude to input your conditions. Way easier. I use either my weather flow meter to get a DA or use an app Called Density Altitude +. Either way it's a lot easier than putting in temp, pressure, humidity and all that.

Now when you true'd your dope by adjusting the muzzle velocity at 650ish, did you input your current conditions and then adjust them the next time you went out to shoot? Again using DA makes this step quick and easy.

Onto truing your muzzle velocity/BC. Most guys go to 400 yards and adjust muzzle velocity until it lines up perfect then go to 1100-1200 and adjust BC until it lines up perfect. That will get you damn close for the ranges we're talking but you should still check it at as many spots in between to confirm it's perfect.

My range has steel targets every 100 yards out to 1400. When I'm dialing in a new load I typically use 20-25 rounds to get hits at center of plate all the way out to 1400 and record the dope at each distance. I then go into my solver and fine tune the muzzle velocity and BC until it lines up perfect with the dope I wrote down.

After that I just need to input the current DA in my solver the next time I shoot and the dope is typically right on the money.

Last edited:
OP
BRTreedogs
Awesome thanks.
I'm definitely not opposed to buying what's needed. But I knew there were different ways to do it.

I'll start buy ordering a weather flow.

No I did not verify the weather inputs the 2nd trip, I figured I had a verified range card.
And the Vortex app was sooooo far off the 1st go round I knew it wasn't the way to go.

The load I have for my "training rifle" is really slow so I'm sure it amplifies the problem. But thats good for leaning I suppose.

OP
BRTreedogs
So the weather flow for shooting is out of stock.
But I'm seeing a good deal on the lieca range finders. They display range,angle,temp and station pressure.
Is this enough information with a good app and rifle data.?

If you really want to improve your long range shooting invest in a Kestrel. The Applied Ballistics app is good but a Kestrel takes readings from where you are at when you are there.

It is still going to take a lot of practice to get consistent first round hits past around 7-800 yards but the right equipment helps a lot.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Keep in mind no matter what piece of equipment you get, you still have to check your dope.

All of that equipment you're looking at just use a math formula where you input your variables, even Applied Ballistics with their custom drag curves. The variables that you are inputing are the BC on the bullet and the velocity. Every barrel effects a bullets BC slightly different and the muzzle velocity also effects the BC.

Also keep in mind the effect temperature has on muzzle velocity especially if you're using a double base powder which is effected more significantly than single base.

I just shot a match in Florida. I doped my rifle here in Montana at a DA of 3600 and a temp around 32. Got to Florida where the DA was 1500 with 70 degree temps. Theoretically I should have needed more elevation at each distance because the DA was lower however my muzzle velocity jumped 30 fps partly because of the temp but I believe going from 0% humidity to 100% also played a role.

Anyways the point I'm making is I had to adjust my dope once I got to Florida otherwise I would have been shooting over the top of all the targets all weekend. Don't let anyone convince you that a certain piece of equipment is going to negate you from doing your homework.

tdhanses

WKR
First things first, I'd switch to using Density Altitude to input your conditions. Way easier. I use either my weather flow meter to get a DA or use an app Called Density Altitude +. Either way it's a lot easier than putting in temp, pressure, humidity and all that.

Now when you true'd your dope by adjusting the muzzle velocity at 650ish, did you input your current conditions and then adjust them the next time you went out to shoot? Again using DA makes this step quick and easy.

Onto truing your muzzle velocity/BC. Most guys go to 400 yards and adjust muzzle velocity until it lines up perfect then go to 1100-1200 and adjust BC until it lines up perfect. That will get you damn close for the ranges we're talking but you should still check it at as many spots in between to confirm it's perfect.

My range has steel targets every 100 yards out to 1400. When I'm dialing in a new load I typically use 20-25 rounds to get hits at center of plate all the way out to 1400 and record the dope at each distance. I then go into my solver and fine tune the muzzle velocity and BC until it lines up perfect with the dope I wrote down.

After that I just need to input the current DA in my solver the next time I shoot and the dope is typically right on the money.

Thank you! My old weather meter just had basic info, just ordered the one for shooting. Never had even heard of density altitude and this is awesome!

FYI... the ballistic ARC free app gives DA if you use the station info. Found it weird that my current DA is -576 even though I’m right at 1,000ft in elevation.

Another FYI for IOS users of the Shooter App, can’t change to DA from within the app, have to go to settings and then the app to enable this.