Shooting stick v-post

Jimss

WKR
I've considered buying a set of shooting sticks for longer range shooting in tall grass and brush. I just about choked when I saw the price of some of the new ones! When I started thinking about it I thought "why carry both a tripod for spotting scope plus shooting sticks.? I sometimes shoot off the top of my spotting scope on a solid tripod; however, I'm not quite stable enough for long shots. I have a quick release for my spotting scope that detaches in a matter of seconds. I've considered getting a V-Yoke that I can thread on a quick release adaptor to my tripod head. It would be possible to switch back and forth between scope and V-yoke. I was wondering if anyone has tried this? It would save a chunk of $ plus possibly provide a super steady rest!

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
The V rest isn’t going to be any more stable than just using the spotter, or vary little so.

A much better way is an Arca-Swiss rail system.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
Like Form said your best bet is to mount either a small section of Arca-Swiss (1.5" dovetail) or a short picatinny (however you spell that) rail just in from of your magazine well.

In match shooting where weight is a benefit rather than a penalty guys mount full length rails across the whole length of the forearm but for a hunting rifle I'd just do a 2" section just in from of your mag well.

The key to shooting from an elevated position like this whether it be a tripod, bipod or shooting sticks is to use rear support as well. For hunters you're just going to want to sit indian style and cradle your pack between your arms so that it supports the butt of the rifle. You'll be rock solid that way.

BAKPAKR

WKR
I used a v-yoke mounted on an Oben QR-10 quick release plate on my tripod this fall. I liked it, and for me, it was much better than resting off my spotter (tried that). I do think it is a good replacement for shooting sticks.

I don’t question that solidly joining the tripod to the rifle would be steadier than the v-yoke and I did carry my bipod when I thought I could have a longer shot. I am sure the attached tripod would work better than the bipod when shooting from a steep hillside or if there is taller vegetation around that would preclude shooting from the prone position.

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
Thanks for the suggestions. There's a lot more to it than I realized! It's been interesting figuring out a system that works!

Here's an interesting article on this subject.
Tripods - Take Your Rifle Shooting To Another Level - GunsAmerica Digest

It sounds like a saddle system on a tripod may work. This looks like a pretty good one that is mentioned in the article above:
Web Store - PRECISION RIFLE SOLUTIONS, LLC

I've seen small, portable rail systems that Primos and others offer that fit on their tripod setups. Do any of you have experience with these and how do they work under field conditions? I'm sure a small rail would fit well on a quality tripod. I spent a small fortune on my carbon tripod and it would be good to put it to good use with a saddle or rail system.

Does anyone have any links to places that sell portable rails or saddles that are light enough to be used in the field?

BAKPAKR

WKR
The responses to this thread got me more interested in directly mounting my rifle to a tripod. It looks like Really Right Stuff offers a variety of plates for attachment by picatinny rail, keymod, m-lok, or clamp.

Picatinny:

NATO-DVTL

Keymod:

KeyMod Adapter Plate

M-LOK:

M-LOK Adapter Plate

Clamp:

VYCE(R) Equipment Support Mount

I haven’t tried any of these but I am going to order the Keymod plate for an AR-15.

Journeyman

Lil-Rokslider
It doesn't have to be that expensive. I run the vyce clamp from RRS but it's not necessary.

Here's what I would do. Get this picatinny rail from Badger Ordinance and mount it just in from of your mag well.

Bipod Accessory Rail (BAR)

Then just mount this lever release clamp from RRS to the top of whatever tripod head you happen to be running. It gives you the option to clamp either 1.5" dovetail (arca-swiss) or picatinny to the top of your tripod.

SC-LR

OP
J

Jimss

WKR
The picatinny rail and SC-LR are a lot better for a guy on a tight budget! This may be a dumb question but how do you mount the rail on your rifle? Do you have to drill holes through the rifle forearm?

I already have an expensive Gitzo ball head and am wondering if all I need is somehow to attach a matching plate to my rifle stock? That way I don't have to start over with a new clamp plus rail.

This is all super simple. You need two things; a short Arca Swiss rail section (MDT sells one) and an Arca Swiss compatible tripod head. Your Gitzo head may or may not be; if it's just a dovetail style plate that's the one.
Once you have the parts, grind the M-Lok stops off the bottom of the Arca Swiss plate if it has them. You just need a smooth surface. Line it up on the rifle where you want it. Nearest the balance point is best, mine always end up just in front of the front action screw. Mark the holes and drill for the two screws. You can either just screw it in place, or use the M-Lok nuts on the back side. I always just screw it in place and use some epoxy for insurance.
With this system you can go from a spotter/binos to a rifle on the tripod in under 10 seconds.