Shooting sticks or bipod worth taking?

gwerner

FNG
Can’t speak for most people but I haven’t used my shooting sticks since I put a good bipod on my gun. Still keep them in my pack for whatever reason but I haven’t used them in years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
Last year I bought the Bog Pod tri-pod - the 48" or whatever it is version. It slips easily into my rifle scabbard in my backpack, as I shoulder my rifle until after a kill. When I spot an animal and get to withn 400 yds (all I'm comforable with) I reach over my shoulder and slide the tripod out. As I stalk and get within shot distance I'm prepared to set up to take a steadier shot. They've really helped.
For the bull in my pic here, I had the tri-pod out, but didn't need to use it. I approached the herd from behind a rock outcropping slightly above the herd. I was able to rest my barrel on my stocking cap on top of a boulder to take a super steady shot. No wasted meat.

Phat Cowboy

Lil-Rokslider
Can’t speak for most people but I haven’t used my shooting sticks since I put a good bipod on my gun. Still keep them in my pack for whatever reason but I haven’t used them in years.

Most guys I know run bipods but I'm with "gwerner" it needs to be a quality one. With that said I got screwed the first time I tried a bipod. I borrowed from a friend and was hunting goats and deer out in sage brush prairie (missed opportunities cuz I couldn't see over sage brush). I always used a monopod shooting stick but never felt super comfortable with it but after using the bipod I knew I had to practice with the stick more for the next time I hit the prairie. I actually was amazed with how proficient I got with that monopod stick. I like that Javelin bipod however, it looks legit I'm thinking about pulling the trigger on one myself.

shane102

FNG
Bipod is more steady for sure. shooting sticks are good to have and can double for using as a walking stick if you get in real steep rough terrain or crossing swift stream. I use either/or depending on terrain and obstacles.

TTurboEE

FNG
Bipod is easier to carry into the field IMO either attached to the rifle or carried in a pack if that's better suited for the situation. I usually have trekking poles with me as well and can be used as a makeshift bipod if needed. But situation really dictates what would be best suited, terrain, your style of hunting, if you wanna pack the extra weight ect...

No bipod but I rarely have shot much past 300. Only a few at four and only two at 500+- 15 yards. I do use my trekking poles as shooting sticks. The two at 500 were prone with a sling.

Fatcamp

WKR
We have a tall swivel Harris we use when we hunt. Whoever is the shooter that day carries it on their rifle. It has served us well.

4ester

WKR
I’d say it really depends on what kind of elk country your hunting. Open country or high country basins, or areas that would offer long shot opportunities I’d definitely have a bipod. Still hunting through timber not so much.....

I used a Harris bipod on my duty rifle for about 20 years. I also carried shooting sticks in my pack. I was authorized for range time once a week so I had lots of time on both. I don’t think I ever deployed with out a bipod on a duty rifle. I’ve just never liked sticking a bipod on my elk rifle.

iowawhitetailnut

Lil-Rokslider
I was debating the same question. Fall 2020 will be my first ever elk hunt, using rifle. I am by far more confident in my shooting abilities with a bipod as opposed to shooting sticks. My fear is that the sitting height bipod wont be tall enough when i need it. I am doing a pack in hunt so need to limit the weight in my pack.

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
For guys worried about bipod length being too short I’d recommend the spartan javelin with the long legs. They snap in super quick and I always keep them attached to my pack in an easy to access spot. I can have my pack off, pull the bipod off my pack and attach it to the rifle in less than 5 seconds. Practice doing it home or on hikes. I keep both the short and long bipods on me in the field. The short can fit in my bino harness and weighs nothing. The long goes on the outside of my pack under a compression strap.

Phaseolus

WKR
I use shooting sticks, they can stay on the side of the pack where I can reach them and do’t mess with the rifles balance.

BuzzH

WKR
I have both, very rarely use either. Learn to shoot off your pack...I'm never without a pack or the ground to throw it on.

Jardo

WKR
I don’t leave camp without primos trigger sticks. These are Essential where I hunt. I use the bipod but my buddy has the tripod one and the 3 legs are heavier but they are very steady.

I can deploy these quickly and can easily take 200 yard shots ad deer, elk, sheep, pigs, and goats.

Once you use them, you’ll never take a offhand shot.

Where I hunt a gun mounted bipod won’t clear the tall grass.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk