Shooting sticks or bipod worth taking?

I was having issues with grass also. Working on getting comfortable with small carbon tripod with a yoke on top.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mt Al

WKR
For what it's worth, I'm a Harris bipod user and bought the "tallest" one so it can work in most high-grass situations. Snipe pod is cool, but for where I go it's unlikely that I'd need anything taller than the extended legs on the Harris.

I have friends with more stable, much more expensive bi-pods with short legs that work for prone or shooting benches. Those are fine also, just seem a bit limiting to me given the realities of terrain and shot opportunities.

JJBuck

FNG
It's most definitely situational, but I prefer shooting sticks (typically use my trekking poles)!

I just use my trekking poles, or pack, or improvise. I don't use dedicated sticks or bipod. Trekking poles make a surprisingly good rest with practice.

mcseal2

WKR
I use my backpack, trekking poles, or whatever is handy when I have to shoot fast.

I have the Outdoorsmans rifle rest for my tripod also. If I have time I'll use it if I can't go prone. It's steady enough I have taken whitetail sitting behind it to 380 yards. I shot my moose kneeling behind it at 300 yards. If I have my optics out glassing already it's pretty speedy to set up also. Using it saves carrying one more thing.

I've shot a lot of predators and some big game with the Primos Rapid Pivot bipod system. It snaps on and off the gun really quick and easy. It's easier for me to move on a coyote and realign the scope than a separate set of sticks, and it's just as fast to get rid of if I need to take a fast shot in another direction. I hold the gun right where it attaches and can pop it off instantly. It also has enough flex it's forgiving to use quick or on uneven ground.

This last year I toted the Primos Trigger stick all over the place, the three-legged version of it because I use it with an adapter for glassing with my bino's. It's heavy, but never thought about leaving it back. It worked just as good as a trekking pole as well. The durn thing extends to something like 8' and helped quite a bit in a couple areas crossing a creek walking across a fallen tree where I was able to reach down with the stick and brace myself and the quick vertical adjustments were great while hiking along steep slopes.

wyodog

FNG
I use anything and everything I can. Rifle mounted bi-pods, spotter tri-pod, trekking poles, etc. Bi-pods on a prone shot are the best but not always feesable so I carry something in addition to the bi-pod always.

bwhntMT

Lil-Rokslider
I've done tall bipod, snipepod, shooting sticks, pack, etc. For the past few years I have been using a 9-13" with grooved legs so it is easily adjustable, and it is a swivel. It has worked really well for me. Anytime I can't get prone, I shoot off my pack or off some other object. I don't see myself changing.

I tried packing t a trigger stick on a whitetail hunt back in Montana this fall and that got old pretty quick. It didn't make it past the first trip back to the truck.

Jimss

WKR
I actually don't use either. If at all possible I shoot from the prone position with rifle on top of my backpack. I usually cover lots and lots of miles hiking so the less weight I have to lug around the better! I usually stalk animals with my shot in mind....so there is a rock, knob, exposed hill, or tall bush I can set my backpack on with a clear shot. If I need to shoot over tall grass or brush I often place my rifle on top of my spotting scope on a tripod.

With that said, I can understand where a bipod or shooting sticks can come in handy when hunting tall grass and brush. If you hike much you may consider just using your backpack or spotting scope/tripod?