Shooting sticks

My outfitter recommended buying shooting sticks for my upcoming Elk hunt in October. What have you found works best? Tri-pod type, bipod, or mono? Something that adjusts for kneeling or standing, and I will be using a rifle, and want to get it early so I can practice. Thanks for any suggestions.

Hmmm. Just my $0.02 but I have a set of primos trigger sticks. They are great but heavy. 3#. I wouldn’t pack them in very far. I have also shot off a camera/optics tripod as well as trekking poles tied together.

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
I second Primos trigger sticks TRIPOD because:
1) fast deployment ; very important to me
2) tripod is way more stable than a hand-carried / separate bipod; no rocking back and forth
3) lots of height adjustability; important if you're in sage brush flats

They are a bit heavy though on a long trek, but ... stability!

Zappaman

WKR
I use the Primos Trigger Sticks in the TALL, bipod model. I can split them WAY wide and shoot from a sitting position, or drop them down (almost) fully for a standing shot (most likely use for me at 6 ft tall). The tripod is too heavy for me and I can't deploy them near as fast as the bi-pod model. Excellent in the blind when in the chair!

Here is a tip: do NOT use them in water. They will fail if the bottoms get really wet. IF they just used a BRASS mechanism these things could do water. But they will rust if you get them too wet and you have to take them apart and SUPER clean them. Oil doesn't work in this case either... you have to clean them bone dry and re-assemble. I've "cleaned" several pair I have (a few times) and they can be cleaned up and brought back to full service. But since I stopped dropping them into streams and heavy mud they stopped getting stuck. Otherwise a great hunting tool I rarely go without. FYI

D_Dubya

Lil-Rokslider
I have found trekking poles work just fine as shooting sticks in most situations. A year or two ago I bought a little contraption someone was selling on fb that lets you join your poles together in a “v” real quick- “trekking balls” or something. They work well.

rclouse79

WKR
I probably have too much redundancy. I have a short Harris bipod that i prefer to use if the terrain and vegetation allows. I have a tripod with a triclawps gun mount. I figure I am carrying the tripod anyway to glass from with my 15s and the gun mount isn’t that much extra weight. I also sometimes bring a primos trigger bipod. It can’t be beat for quick opportunities under 200 yards. I can also use it to support the butt end of my rifle while it is in the triclawps, which makes it rock solid. The primos trigger stick is also awesome to rest my chest binos on when sitting and glassing.
This rambling reminds me why I like archery hunting. My archery pack is at least 20 lbs lighter than my rifle pack!

Zappaman

WKR
Oh ya, forgot to mention how easy it is to go from Binos to a rifle on the Primos trigger sticks. I hunt a lot of Kansas fields (some 800 yards across) and when there is nothing to rest on, I can hit the ground, sitting, and stead down for a 300+ yard shot pretty fast with these things. I own several pair and clean them between use ASAP but as I said-- get them wet (submerged) on the bottoms and might as well not even try using them the next day- they will fail you. But keep them high and dry and they are a must have for rifle or shotgun slug hunting (deer at 100 yards with the sticks is very doable with slugs- and "done" many times!).

Wrench

WKR
I'm a more successful elk hunter than average and 80% of my rifle elk have been killed either off my pack or off my trekking poles. I've never been satisfied with anything I couldn't auger in the ground.

Stuff two poles in the dirt, cross a wrist loop to form the support for the "X" lean back to lower......shoot. takes about 1.5 seconds to complete.

I picked up a set of lightweight sticks from cabelas last year. They fold up and have a gripper where the rifle would sit. Cost me about $20, basically a set if shockcorded tent poles. I need to shoot off them more.

Mosby

WKR
I have 3 legged Bog Pod's, a Primos trigger stick bi pod(short version) modified with a Bog Pod top and a set of ultra light shooting sticks made by Easton that aren't available anymore. They all work. I use the Primos for turkey and deer hunting a lot. Easy to strap to the pack and comes in handy when I am moving around.

I prefer the Bod Pod tops vs Primos. They have a 5 inch top that I like a lot for longer range shooting. I also prefer tri pods over the bi pods when elk hunting at longer ranges. More stable. When weight is an issue, I take the ultra light sticks or the Primos depending. A rifle rest can really make a difference.

idcuda

WKR
I picked up a set of lightweight sticks from cabelas last year. They fold up and have a gripper where the rifle would sit. Cost me about $20, basically a set if shockcorded tent poles. I need to shoot off them more.
I use the same. Super light, take no space, and work well. My young kids can use them, too, since you adjust the height by spreading the legs more or less.

These $20 sticks now seem to cost $35+ now.

Rich M

WKR
I like the trigger sticks and have one. They don't like water and will fail if you get em wet - BTDT x2. Tired of not knowing if it will work right or not.

I been eyeballing these - will buy shortly. Just need to decide on one of the other. maybe both cause they're priced right.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-monopod-shooting-rest
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-bipod-shooting-rest

They are light and heavy duty. I'm >250 pounds and think they'd make a decent walking stick.

I also have one of these and it is wiggly - got it on steep discount and use it for range cleaning and holding gun in shade in front of fan to cool it off.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bog-fieldpod-shooting-rest-tripod

OP
L
I like the trigger sticks and have one. They don't like water and will fail if you get em wet - BTDT x2. Tired of not knowing if it will work right or not.

I been eyeballing these - will buy shortly. Just need to decide on one of the other. maybe both cause they're priced right.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-monopod-shooting-rest
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/cabelas-bipod-shooting-rest

They are light and heavy duty. I'm >250 pounds and think they'd make a decent walking stick.

I also have one of these and it is wiggly - got it on steep discount and use it for range cleaning and holding gun in shade in front of fan to cool it off.
https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/bog-fieldpod-shooting-rest-tripod

I have read reviews on the Primos, and many said they do fail when they get wet. Do the Cabelas do any better in the rain or after they get wet? Seems like a different system that holds the legs in, but they are not as easily adjusted.

Carrot Farmer

WKR
Classified Approved
I have found trekking poles work just fine as shooting sticks in most situations. A year or two ago I bought a little contraption someone was selling on fb that lets you join your poles together in a “v” real quick- “trekking balls” or something. They work well.

Was wanting something for stabilization aid, but light when backpack hunting..... these fit the bill!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Primos trigger stick tall bipod is the most adjustable of the options Ive found. I dont like its weight and I dont like its cheap camo paint, but damned if it isnt the best thing going for quick setups in any terrain. Ive seen enough opportunities missed due to lack of quick rifle setup and stabilization in the final seconds... Shooters are scaring game or letting them walk off by throwing their pack all around, breaking branches to see while prone, moving 10 yards this way and back again. These little fiddle farting adjustments really do cost hunters a significant number of opportunites. These trigger sticks are kind of clunky but you can get on on game, stable, from sitting, kneeling to standing in seconds, on a slope, in heavy brush etc....I added some felt camo tape to the lower 16 inches so its nice and quiet now. Until they make one in carbon fiber, Ill probably keep using it.

TheGDog

WKR
^^^THIS.... the Kwik Stix! They're great for up to kneeling shots. Use em all the time for poppin' GroundSquirrels and Rabbits at like 80-100yds.

For S&G I put the rifle on them last year to practice aiming at this spike that was 200yd out. A tiny bit shaky, maybe 300yd might be pushing it on a small bodied spike like that. But for Elk I'd have to imagine you could have them further out and still be fine.

That sound about right to you @justinpicher?

When I go light, I do 1 trekking pole, and the Kwik Stix.

Wrench

WKR
One of the things that I teach my kids is to ALWAYS be looking for a shot setup. Every step brings new opportunities and challenges. Sometimes natural features give great opportunities, sometimes a section of paracord can be tossed around a tree to build an instant platform.

I want them to know that rock solid in 3 seconds beats standing and wavering in 1 every time. If we are busting animals that quickly the shooting platform wasn't the problem, the skill in the hunt was.