Shooting sticks

Rich M

WKR
I have read reviews on the Primos, and many said they do fail when they get wet. Do the Cabelas do any better in the rain or after they get wet? Seems like a different system that holds the legs in, but they are not as easily adjusted.

Of the 3 trigger sticks I've owned, 1 still kinda works, the other 2 are in landfill. I'll toss #3 when I get the Cabelas version. The concept of the trigger stick is excellent - moisture/rain/dew killed all of mine.

The flip tabs aren't as slow as would seem and if the stick is carried extended to a length where it is ready for use, it is fine.

We primarily hunt whitetails in thick cover - pretty much a deer can pop outta the thick and into the trail out to say 200 yards and you get 2-5 seconds to shoot if you want to. Also use em out of stands - zip tie it to the shooting rail and it is solid. If I don't have a shooting stick, will look for a tree or sapling to use as a rest.

My limited western hunting experience - used bipod for antelope at 350 yards and shooting stick for mule deer at 220 yds (from seated position w elbows on knees). Hoping to head out again this year and will have both bipod and shooting stick.

Zappaman

WKR
My very first memory of my dad's truck (in about 1969) included the rifle rack on the back window which always had two rifles in it. Dad was a very good rifleman from West Texas where he grew up shooting (mostly coyotes) off several sheep ranches we sold off in the 90s. We'd proudly hung the dead coyotes at the ranch gate so neighbors could see we got another "sheep killer".

While taking me out hunting the first time, he said "quick... make a nest!" We didn't have shooting sticks (or trees) so we dropped to our butts or belly's and killed yotes out to 300 yards- on the run (or longer if they weren't moving- rare back then, they started running when they saw the truck).

But truthfully... every truck we had up till 1995 or so had paint missing on the hood. The #1 "rest" for a West Texas/New Mexico rancher like me WAS the truck hood. And at the age of 10, I witnessed Pappy Yose (my father's mentor who reloaded for him) kill a buck at 1200 yards off the truck with his NEW 7mm Weatherby. Pappy WAS that guy who taught a lot of young men how to reload and shoot back then (1950s) and I suspect he showed my dad a few things he then later showed me.

I also had a rifle rack in my truck in high school in the early 80s right before it all got weird.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
First time going out west. Never even considered having a walking stick. Some of you are using monostick for this?

I don't think I will be doing lots of walking, but lighter I am more walking I will do I imagine. The primos gets as many people who like it, as don't when it gets wet.

Maybe bring a couple, back up, and change out the next day if I don't like?

UpTop

Lil-Rokslider
First time going out west. Never even considered having a walking stick. Some of you are using monostick for this?

I don't think I will be doing lots of walking, but lighter I am more walking I will do I imagine. The primos gets as many people who like it, as don't when it gets wet.

Maybe bring a couple, back up, and change out the next day if I don't like?
I use the trigger stick mono as a combo walking/shooting stick. LOVE it for a bino rest. So slick to just drop it to whatever level you’re on and glass off of. With 10x42’s it’s money. For shooting, if at any real distance you need something to kind of prop against for an aid being just a mono pod. I’ve often thought about some type of quick stix type set up to add to the single pole for distance shooting but haven’t yet. The trigger stix tri and bipods are awesome but push what I really want to carry around or walk with. I’ve also got a bog pod adrenaline that’s light and more than adequate, but it takes a little time to deploy so I stopped carrying it. Use it for shooting from close the truck all the time.

Zerk

Lil-Rokslider
I know I am going to end up like a cabelas commercial, spending $$, and using 1/4 of it. Maybe get mono stick, and trigger stick. I also got a cheap bipod. I was thinking maybe real light weight bipod. We will be driving sxs in the morning, and then back to camp. So time to try different stuff. Of course when you really need it, you wish you had_____.