shooting sticks

mtnsterno

FNG
I like to shoot from a steady for sure. Not always possible in the field or if you get surprised while hiking. Does anyone use shooting stick as a trekking pole? Would you recommend a bi or tri pod? Was thinking about bog pod or primos triggerstick? Any thoughts

Rob5589

WKR
My buddy has the Primos trigger stick and it isn't beefy enough to use as a trekking pole. You could get the shooting sticks adapter from Wiser precision, connects trekking poles so you can shoot off them.

Jimss

WKR
I try everything in my power to get a prone shot off my backpack. If that is impossible and I'm under 300 yards I'll take a shot off my spotting scope on tripod. I always have my spotting scope with me while hunting.

I actually bought shooting sticks once and it was more work than it was worth hauling them around and setting up. If I hunted where there was a lot of tall grass and brush I'd probably buy a long bipod attached to my rifle. This obviously adds a chunk of weight.

With that said, I seldom can't shoot prone off my backpack and my spotter works great all other times. The less I have to haul around the better!

Zappaman

WKR
My buddy has the Primos trigger stick and it isn't beefy enough to use as a trekking pole. You could get the shooting sticks adapter from Wiser precision, connects trekking poles so you can shoot off them.
I own TWO Primos trigger sticks- both the same tall (72" or so) two leg versions. I use them for (dry ground) trekking (in my left hand) fine. I also love that I can throw up my binos on them (standing straight- I'm 6' tall). They can also go low (wide) enough to make a sitting shot too.

What I love: They are FAST, weigh nothing, and they stay where I put them. I hunt with them (1/2 down) on my left hand slightly widened (where they stay fine), rifle slung over right shoulder (or over right shoulder top (hand on pistol grip) when some "action" is happening). I can drop the sticks (widen them a bit more with my left hand fingers on the way down), pull the rifle over and have a steady standing shot in just over a second. I can also use them in a ground blind or in the field (set wide) for an great rest- they are very capable of quickly moving left or right a few inches just tilting the head (to miss that stick in front of your barrel) and setting up a fast shot in this case. The head is "grippy" and the guns stays put even when you tilt the head 30 degrees or so either way.

What I don't like about them: They can NOT get used in water (as in trek poling THROUGH streams or mud). They'll work for that one hunt for a while. But after they get "gunk" in the bottom feet, they will take that gunk up to the release mechanism next time you pull them up to the shortest length (don't do it!!!). Its a PITA to clean them after that (and you can't use oil- have to disassemble them and clean them to a shine and re-assemble). They are fine in rain- clean water isn't much of an issue.

So WHY do I own TWO sets? - because if I "water foul" my first set (it happens on wet Kansas hunts), I just grab set #2 to finish the hunt. At $69 a piece on sale they are affordable.

If they JUST would have used a BRASS release mechanism these would do WAY better in dirty water. The "sticking" problem is due to the "steel release" rusting up VERY fast-- enough to stop them from working smoothly even if you wash the mud out of them. I did reach down and PULL one leg out on my first (5" downpour pig hunt) with them (and I was dropping them in 6" thick mud then- took an hour but they started to "gunk" up and so... I adapted. Made the shot, but took a few seconds to manually extent the "sticking" leg.

You can spend more for sure... but if hunting dry country they work like a charm for me. And if I get a set muddy, I can grab the spare set and hunt on. They are like guns (to me); might have to break them down and clean them some-- but my original set has been under my last 6 or so kills and I've never had to go to the back-up set... yet. But I'm careful to not drop them in water/mud after my first lesson ;)

I'm sure the higher dollar stuff is more durable, but I've learned how to maintain these as just another hunting tool and once cleaned up- they work like new (I've only cleaned my original pair twice- both times due to mud). I just clean them after use with VERY LIGHT oil on a cloth and they are ready for the next hunt.

Yes, I like them!

Last edited:

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
Wiser precision clip attaches walking sticks to gun as highly adjustable bipod. Photo is wife holding over bull she dropped this year at 293 yards with her 7-08, he made it around 10 feet. System works great

Attachments

• 071219E0-4E31-41BE-A700-E70B164D225F.jpeg
    071219E0-4E31-41BE-A700-E70B164D225F.jpeg
    593 KB · Views: 98

ToolMann

WKR
I'd use my trekking poles for shooting sticks before using my shooting sticks as trekking poles. And I've done it both ways in the past. That said, I prefer a bipod. Shoot off my pack prone, or sitting with the bipod. I have two of the tall BOG shooting tripods that never leave the house anymore. Would sell you one if you're interested.

I try everything in my power to get a prone shot off my backpack. If that is impossible and I'm under 300 yards I'll take a shot off my spotting scope on tripod. I always have my spotting scope with me while hunting.

I actually bought shooting sticks once and it was more work than it was worth hauling them around and setting up. If I hunted where there was a lot of tall grass and brush I'd probably buy a long bipod attached to my rifle. This obviously adds a chunk of weight.

With that said, I seldom can't shoot prone off my backpack and my spotter works great all other times. The less I have to haul around the better!
This is a really interesting idea that would have never occurred to me - do you leave your spotter attached to your tripod the whole time you're out? I'm assuming you're just positioning your spotter sideways and using it as a rest? No issues??!

re: shooting sticks -

My Quick-StiX arrived the other day and just got them installed on my BD FLZ poles - the lock is smooth & stable and so far I really like it. Last year I carried around the Primos shooting sticks bipod, which weighs 16oz, is solid and easy to adjust. That being said, it was clunky to carry both a set of trekking poles AND the shooting sticks and I just felt like it was too much stuff. Excited to shave a full pound off my kit + lose the second set of awkward poles lashed to my pack.

I'm pretty intrigued about the concept of the third-leg and ditching the dedicated tripod entirely... anybody doing this with good effect? I have a maven CS1 spotter, which is ~40oz - do you think would be any stability issues with a full wiser precision tripod setup?

Pocoloco

Lil-Rokslider
This is a really interesting idea that would have never occurred to me - do you leave your spotter attached to your tripod the whole time you're out? I'm assuming you're just positioning your spotter sideways and using it as a rest? No issues??!

re: shooting sticks -

My Quick-StiX arrived the other day and just got them installed on my BD FLZ poles - the lock is smooth & stable and so far I really like it. Last year I carried around the Primos shooting sticks bipod, which weighs 16oz, is solid and easy to adjust. That being said, it was clunky to carry both a set of trekking poles AND the shooting sticks and I just felt like it was too much stuff. Excited to shave a full pound off my kit + lose the second set of awkward poles lashed to my pack.

I'm pretty intrigued about the concept of the third-leg and ditching the dedicated tripod entirely... anybody doing this with good effect? I have a maven CS1 spotter, which is ~40oz - do you think would be any stability issues with a full wiser precision tripod setup?
Love the quick sticks, definitely add the piece to attach to rifle, that way you can use left hand rear of stock to aim rifle and recoil will not cause stix to fall to ground.

We added the third leg, but have not used it much. Learning curve to adjust is not as easy as our carbon tripods and we hunt as a family so stix are reserved for shooter when on animals with tripods for others. If hunting solo, I would probably learn to use the third leg and leave tripod in jeep.

IH8Cali

Lil-Rokslider
I think it all depends on your hunting style. After many iterations, i'm going back to a monopod. Where and how I hunt leads to VERY quick shot sequences; i've found bipods/tripods etc. are just too combersome when hiking and trying to setup for a shot. I'm going to try a tall monopod for hiking/shooting this year.

I have some sticks, cheap cabela versions. I have shot sparingly off of them, always in a controlled environment. I can shoot well off of them, but they take me too long to get comfortable for a realistic shot. I have a monopod I use for my binos, I think shooting off of it would be doable.

Mosby

WKR
I carry some short Primos trigger sticks when I am day hunting, have no idea where I am going and flying by the seat of my pants. Something is better than nothing. I carry a Bog pod tripod when I know exactly where I am going and I am going to have a shot of a couple hundred yds or more when I get there. Normally, I will be setting up within a few miles of the truck.. If I am going in several miles in for a few days, I might carry some light weight sticks but the older I get the less I take and I just use my pack.