Shooting stiks / Trekking poles

AggKat

FNG
View attachment 288832I use these on my Trekking poles. They are called TrekBalls and are light weight and easy to use quickly. They attach to your trekking poles with zip ties and lock into place on the poles. They attach below the handles so they are not in the way while hiking. Good luck
I was about to order those for upcoming trip but didn't know how well they worked. I can't tell by pics how the lock together without separating. Looks like just a tab and slot with no way to lock. Do they lock?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

meta_gabbro

Lil-Rokslider
any comments as to how your strategies differ from simply slipping the handle of each trekking pole through the wrist strap of the opposite pole?
Well for starters, my poles don't have wrist straps any more. I prefer being able to drop my stick entirely if it gets jammed up in talus/riverbed instead of snagging my hand and potentially causing a hard fall on sharp talus or getting soaked. Since they're also my shooting platform and my shelter supports, I absolutely want to avoid breaking them, which can happen. Fiddling with the wrist straps to make a bipod also seems like it would take two hands, whereas the Voile strap can be done up with one hand so I can keep my rifle in the other. The Voile strap also has the benefit of creating a pretty rigid connection so you can really load up on it like you would a normal bipod, and if you need to move you can just pick the whole thing up and scoot without having to worry about it folding in on itself if you don't grab it in the right spot.

Bonus use is that if you use a taller pyramid tent like the SO Cimarron or the BD MegaLight, the Voile strap can also be used to lash two trekking poles together to form the central pole so you don't need to bring one along (though I'd step up to the next size from the 9" so you can get two wraps for this). Plus, I'm a massive weight weenie and a single Voile strap is lighter than a pair of wrist straps lmao

Last edited: