Shooting Tripod Setups

Mr2143

FNG
Hello all,

Looking to get into predator hunting and would like to purchase a tripod setup. Browsing some threads, I know RRS seems to be the gold standard, but I would like to be around the $500 price range for now with the tripod, ball head, and rifle mount. Is that a feasible budget to buy something user friendly and sturdy? The BOG Death Grip seems to have good reviews for the price. I assume that will leave a lot to be desired in terms of panning and such. Thanks guys. I appreciate you all being willing to share your knowledge.

It all depends on how heavy your rifle setup is. I shoot with my little howa mini action 6.5 Grendel on a lightweight carbon tripod with a sentinel adapter. Works great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
M

Mr2143

FNG
It all depends on how heavy your rifle setup is. I shoot with my little howa mini action 6.5 Grendel on a lightweight carbon tripod with a sentinel adapter. Works great.

Thanks for the reply. It would be an AR/carbine to start but may end progressing to using on larger, more heavy bolt action rifles.

SpookySpectre308

Lil-Rokslider
I use a Pig Saddle to hang onto my AR with a thermal on top. It's a carbon tripod not really meant to shoot from and the ballhead could be a bit stiffer, but I haven't had any issues with it. Handles the 7mm -08 just fine.

You can get their entire setup (not the aluminum clamp) for under 500

Or.hunter

WKR
The bog death grip works well when mounted on a light weight pan head. Buddy made a 600 yard shot on a antelope off this setup this year. I was impressed for not a high priced item. My 2 cents.

Or.hunter

WKR
7bd5b4779e6465b980c34d7b7284be04.jpg

I killed a lot of coyotes with a bog pod last year. The head has a little bit of play to it. And if you don’t set it up perfect then your rifle starts to cant while panning.

This year I’m using an Innorel RT90C with an Anvil. It is like night and day.

The Innorel RT90C with a Desmond Dlow 55 would be in your budget and probably the most stable platform.7D3B4E21-EDAC-4804-934F-D9B08C524376.jpeg

mcseal2

WKR
I like the Outdoorsmans rifle rest and pan head on a Slik 624 or 634 depending on height requirement. If I was to pick it would definitely be the 634 for versatility.

Its expensive, but just works great for glassing or shooting. I’ve taken deer to 400 yards sitting with it, moose kneeling at 300 and a caribou standing at 300 yards. Those were with a Rifles Inc LW70, not a heavy rifle. like that it does not clamp my rifle so it’s really quick to use or get free of for a closer shot.

I do not use it as much calling predators. Shots are usually not long enough to require it. I use a Primos rapid pivot bipod on my AR or bolt rifle. When distances stretch though in open country it does work well.

SpookySpectre308

Lil-Rokslider
Meopta carbon fiber tripod with their own ball head. Pig saddle clamping the gun. She's a little heavy with thermal and I have to apply some torque. With my non 'sporting rifles' it does well. The pig saddle was cheaper than the hog model and I wasn't concerned with weight. After scoring the tripod here on the classifieds I have about 300 invested. Shoots just fine if your shoulders into it in this heavy setup. Pans okay.
531ecaf8de0d4c91f0d3d643cc295794.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

I would suggest looking at the Leofoto LS-364C or LS-324C depending on if weight or max stability is of more importance. Both can come bundled with a 40mm ballhead on Amazon for under your $500 budget.

I have done a sirui with pig saddle but just started running an area 419 arca plate on bottom of the handguard so I can drop the saddle.