Shop necessities? Would like your ideas.

hunterjmj

WKR
We just finished building a shop and will have the garage doors in this week. It's 1200sqft and 300 will be a separate room for reloading, gear, freezer, extra fridge, etc. The garage side will be 900 soft which will be for my wife's pickup, side side, storage and working on stuff.
Would like to see or hear your layout or things you've done for tools that have helped organize all your stuff or things you wished you would have done.
349680BA-8126-4A73-A9B4-EE226F87237F.jpeg

Titan

WKR
Are you insulated? I went with closed cell foam and then interior metal up to 8'. On certain walls, I framed then inside the purlins and put plywood up. That way I could mount anything I wanted through the metal. Put a couple workbenches along with wall control panels to hang tools.

I use the heavy duty racks from costco to store totes. Keep everything off the ground so it's easier to blow out with a leafblower.

I also put in a gas heater last winter, looking at putting in a 3 unit mr. cool A/C system as well for spot cooling when I need it. Would also supplement heat if I need it.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
I'll be insulating the gear room and putting a mini-split in next year. I may insulate the main part someday. Definitely putting up peg board.

TheHammer

WKR
I think tool storage is very important. Organization is difficult to up keep and requires alot of time. But clean work surfaces are a must! I have all my fab stuff separate from my shop tools, machining equipment in another corner and parts on shelves. Utilize the peaks for loft space storage to keep the limited space open for important here and now requirements. Nice setup! Let us know how you lay it out.

Attachments

• 3CC53D03-CACB-4F77-AD42-BBDC749BB436.jpeg
    3CC53D03-CACB-4F77-AD42-BBDC749BB436.jpeg
    333.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 095CBE4A-CF23-4EAC-B66A-BAA8DD3A6A39.jpeg
    095CBE4A-CF23-4EAC-B66A-BAA8DD3A6A39.jpeg
    276.2 KB · Views: 139

CorbLand

WKR
If it is plumbed for water, it is nice to have a washer machine out there. I worked for a guy that had a washer in his garage. When he got home from the farm he could strip in the garage, throw his clothes in there and keep his dirty, dusty clothes out of his wifes machine.

Probably wouldnt work as much for a shop but its a thought.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
I think tool storage is very important. Organization is difficult to up keep and requires alot of time. But clean work surfaces are a must! I have all my fab stuff separate from my shop tools, machining equipment in another corner and parts on shelves. Utilize the peaks for loft space storage to keep the limited space open for important here and now requirements. Nice setup! Let us know how you lay it out.
Nice! The cord reel you have is something I'd like.

OP
hunterjmj

hunterjmj

WKR
If it is plumbed for water, it is nice to have a washer machine out there. I worked for a guy that had a washer in his garage. When he got home from the farm he could strip in the garage, throw his clothes in there and keep his dirty, dusty clothes out of his wifes machine.

Probably wouldnt work as much for a shop but its a thought.
Originally I was going to put a bathroom in and it was also going to be bigger. When it came down to it I didn't have the money. I wanted to do this without borrowing money so I went without a few things.

grfox92

WKR
Originally I was going to put a bathroom in and it was also going to be bigger. When it came down to it I didn't have the money. I wanted to do this without borrowing money so I went without a few things.
You can always add a bathroom down the road. Keep it close to an exterior wall and you would have to do minimal Excavation of concrete. Once water is in you could run it anywhere in the building on interior walls.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

wnelson14

WKR
Classified Approved
You can always add a bathroom down the road. Keep it close to an exterior wall and you would have to do minimal Excavation of concrete. Once water is in you could run it anywhere in the building on interior walls.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk
Plumb for a utility sink and washer/Dryer as well,
Get a small Outside storage container for Paint/chemicals/ sprays etc. can also do shelving in it for nuts bolts small parts and then that doesn’t take up space and dirty interior of shop.

My shop is still a work in progress, so don't mind the mess!

Cordless tool hanger is a nice addition!

4BcNP4U.jpg

UPQWyYi.jpg

TheHammer

WKR
I'd love to have a snap-on tool box but it'll just be a day dream.
List prices and interest is insane. I want to puke every time I think about it. Plus what’s all inside… it’s not fun. I was gonna add wall cabinets as well all my pullers are in wall cabinets, grinding/welding/plasma supplies in another cabinet, tooling and edges in another cabinet. Then if you have a specific need for something as I do abrasives, those are all individual. The cord reel I believe came from Eastwood n my hose reels are flexilla. All my engine tools are in the matco box. And assorted every day supplies in the pull out tray container organizers.

Attachments

• 409300B1-0D3F-462F-8328-3C47FD40FF7F.jpeg
    409300B1-0D3F-462F-8328-3C47FD40FF7F.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 90

CorbLand

WKR
I fully understand that. You can always add bathrooms and that kind of stuff in the future. Aint nothing wrong with a funnel through the wall.

Home Depot usually has some great buys on roll around tool benches with wood tops especially on Black Friday.
That's what I picked up for mine. I'm not a pro mechanic, but about $400 on sale still locks, has good soft close drawers, etc.

I'm still setting my shop up, but heavy duty shelves and bins of similar size that are either see through or labeled is what I'm working on now. Organization has always been a struggle for me, but with good, tall shelves, I can keep the entire working area of the floor clear.

The first two additions I made after LED lights were a fire extinguisher and a first aid kit.

If the floor is not cone shaped recessed into the ground with a expanded metal over it for walking on you already missed you chance...my next shop will have this that way when I drop a bolt/nut/screw/primer/bullet/ AR springs, ect I know exactly where it will end up and will be easy to retrieve...lol

To honestly answer your question...220 for welder and a 2 post lift.