Shopping for a new ultralight rifle.

Ram94

WKR
California is a long ways from Alberta. On that note though, there are local shops doing this as well. I know Corlanes in Dawson will and I’m sure others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are a few examples. The primary purpose of these rifles is hunting. They are not "range toys" but they do get to "play" periodically out to extended ranges.

1) Savage Lightweight Hunter in 308 Win with Razor LH 3-15x42. It has a 20" barrel and weighs 6 pounds 14 ounces unloaded. The short barrel limits this to about 500 yards for hunting. For range sessions there are no issues going further.
2) Tikka T3X Lite SS in 6.5 CM with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44. It has a 24" barrel and weighs 7 pounds 9.65 ounces unloaded. The 13.25 MOA limit due to zero stop limits this to about 650 yards. This is equally true for hunting and range session. This scope will be replaced to remove the cap for range sessions.
3) Tikka T3X Lite SS in 300 Win Mag with Leopold VX6HD 3-18x50. It has a 24" barrel and weighs 8 pounds 0 ounces unloaded. Limited to about 800 yards for hunting and no issues going to 1000 yards for range sessions; can go further but I've not yet had an opportunity to do so.

I just got a Savage Ultralite in 6.5 PRC. It has a 24" barrel and the bare weight (no scope) is 6 pounds 4.8 ounces. At the moment I cannot speak to its accuracy.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
You’re right. So many more options in the US. But I do love it up north!
California is a long ways from Alberta. On that note though, there are local shops doing this as well. I know Corlanes in Dawson will and I’m sure others.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Here are a few examples. The primary purpose of these rifles is hunting. They are not "range toys" but they do get to "play" periodically out to extended ranges.

1) Savage Lightweight Hunter in 308 Win with Razor LH 3-15x42. It has a 20" barrel and weighs 6 pounds 14 ounces unloaded. The short barrel limits this to about 500 yards for hunting. For range sessions there are no issues going further.
2) Tikka T3X Lite SS in 6.5 CM with Swarovski Z5 3.5-18x44. It has a 24" barrel and weighs 7 pounds 9.65 ounces unloaded. The 13.25 MOA limit due to zero stop limits this to about 650 yards. This is equally true for hunting and range session. This scope will be replaced to remove the cap for range sessions.
3) Tikka T3X Lite SS in 300 Win Mag with Leopold VX6HD 3-18x50. It has a 24" barrel and weighs 8 pounds 0 ounces unloaded. Limited to about 800 yards for hunting and no issues going to 1000 yards for range sessions; can go further but I've not yet had an opportunity to do so.

I just got a Savage Ultralite in 6.5 PRC. It has a 24" barrel and the bare weight (no scope) is 6 pounds 4.8 ounces. At the moment I cannot speak to its accuracy.

you’re right. I currently have the option to pick up a used .260 rem model 7 20” barrel and all skeletonized, definitely in the ultralight category but the extra performance of the prc is temping. Even thought it’s purpose is Still Hunting whitetail and I haven’t taken a shot on game over 200yrds in years 4 years.

please let us know how that Savage UL shoots!

Savage lightweight hunter 6.5 creed stainless action and barrel. Just over 6 pounds scoped. Under moa pushing 143 gr eldx 2800 with rl17. A dream to carry.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
If you are looking for a Barrett fieldcraft in Canada I know where there is a brand new one in 270 win I will give you the store name and phone number
Nothing against the 270 Win, just not interested in one.

Ram94

WKR
Wolverine Supplies has a Fieldcraft in 6.5 Creedmoor. I believe they’re in Manitoba.

What is the process here? A complete rebarrel? I think in Canada a complete rebarrel is going to run around a $1000.

Is it possible to rebarrel a .260 rem into a 6.5 creedmore? I know the parent cases are .308win and .30TC respectively.

I'd give him a call. I can't weigh in on shipping across country lines but state to state it's pretty easy. You should be able to rebarrel into a 6.5

Tahoe1305

WKR
My vote would be tikka superlite. I think they changed their models this year and they gained a tad bit of weight but the old ones are still around. Last years models are right at 6lbs. Can be had for $750.

People complain about the stocks, but with a limbsaver and some paint I think they aren’t too shabby. Can also exchange grip for more vertical for about $15 and an ounce penalty. If you want to go Uberlight you can replace the stock for $500-600 and shed .75lbs with manners, McMillan, etc.

The throat on the 6.5C models are a bit long. This means factory loads are a bit slow but if you handload you can really get them moving. Mine and my buddies both shoot at half MOA (3 shot).

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
What is the process here? A complete rebarrel? I think in Canada a complete rebarrel is going to run around a $1000.

Is it possible to rebarrel a .260 rem into a 6.5 creedmore? I know the parent cases are .308win and .30TC respectively.

6.5CM or 260 to 6.5PRC= rechamber and open bolt face.

I am considering the Ultralite, just because I can get it in 6.5 PRC. If Tikka made their Superlite in the PRC I would have pulled the trigger already. I don't really need a carbon barrel, as it would be a deer rifle and other than some load dev and practice it will only shoot a few shots a season.

How are Accu Triggers? say compared to other decent factory triggers.
the accu trigger is fine, not my favorite but it's certainly not a downfall. I will probably drop a timney in when I get one, but that's just my preference. the accu triggers are pretty good for stock

Savage lightweight hunter 6.5 creed stainless action and barrel. Just over 6 pounds scoped. Under moa pushing 143 gr eldx 2800 with rl17. A dream to carry.
I got my wife the lightweight storm last year, and it's a pleasure to shoot, and shoots crazy good for what it is. she killed her first buck and bull with it last fall. I expected it to be more snappy than it is, but it's a soft shooting rifle, which is awesome for her.

spending time with that rifle is what inspired me to want the ultralite… I was pretty much set on the mountain ascent before the ultralite came out.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Thanks for all the replies. It's not hard choice and also not easy. I think part of the problem is that I already have a Tikka M695 in 25.06 that is a shooter and falls right in the middle of so called deer cartridges. I used to live in the prairies of Saskatchewan. Back then weight didn't matter, as long as you could shoot flat and get a good amount of light in your scope you were good. So I topped the Tikka off with a Leupold V II 3-9*50. It's not a light set up, but I it always gets the job done. I have lived in the Rocky Mountains for quite a while now and have been hauling that setup up and down hills and I just want/need something lighter for when I am still hunting. Also it would likely be in my wife's hands if we were hunting together, so I don't want to go to heavy a recoil.

The Barrett FC 6.5cm w/21" might just be the ticket $2500 CAD. Kimber's are nice, and I started out not wanting one but there has been a good amount of positive feedback. If I got a Mountain Ascent $3200 CAD I would probably get it in .280ai and I know my wife wouldn't be too happy about that recoil. A Tikka Superlite is a good option and I really like Tikka, in Canada they are just under $1250 CAD, by the time I lighten it up with a new stock it will quickly rise in cost. The Savage Ultralite is temping because of the 6.5 PRC offering, it comes to around $1850 CAD.

I'm in a position where I can buy any of these guns and top it off with a Leupold VX 3i, probably 2-8*33, but I am not in a position to do this regularly or that it's not a significant amount of cash, so I really appreciate all of the feedback.

*all prices are in Canadian and very approximate.