Shopping for a new ultralight rifle.

If money is no object when considering these choices, and they are all available to you, I think you should get the one that most appeals to YOU. In so far as recoil goes, don't forget that the MA comes standard with a radial brake and thread protector. That brake does a pretty good job at reducing muzzle flip and felt recoil, so the recoil may not be nearly as bad as you're thinking.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I definitely didn’t mean to suggest it was no object. More like it’s significant and I want to make the right choice, because I’m going to have this rifle a very long time and because of that I appreciate all the advice. But you’re right, I need to choose the one that appeals the most to my needs and wants if I’m going to keep it forever.
If money is no object when considering these choices, and they are all available to you, I think you should get the one that most appeals to YOU. In so far as recoil goes, don't forget that the MA comes standard with a radial brake and thread protector. That brake does a pretty good job at reducing muzzle flip and felt recoil, so the recoil may not be nearly as bad as you're thinking.

khuber84

WKR
I feel like I missed the boat on the Fieldcrafts but did grab one of the Tikka SS 6.5 for $499, so my plan is carbon barrel/stock. I’d like to think I could get around a 7 lb. scoped with a lightweight Leupold.
Getting a Tikka Uber light isnt that easy. Their factory stock is 28oz. Plus they use a plastic dbm and mag to save weight. The bottom plastic, mag trigger and action/bolt is around 33oz. Proof carbons aren't lighter than #2 contour steel. If you wanted to make an ultralight Tikka, get a stock from Wildcat composites(20oz) and run a short #1 or #2 steel pipe, that'll get your weight down. I built this hoping for 6#, and well it's 6.7#, and 8# scoped. It's a carbon stock and 23" barrel. I've built 3 carbon tikkas and all have been 6.6-7# granted most my barrels end up 24-26# and use an aluminum magazine(heavier than factory plastic. My custom. Tikka stocks have been on the 28-30oz end as well, they only way to truly save noticeable weight on the stock is to go to wildcat.

Attachments

• IMG_20200417_194149_006.jpg
    IMG_20200417_194149_006.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_20200423_071557.jpg
    IMG_20200423_071557.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 72
OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Getting a Tikka Uber light isnt that easy. Their factory stock is 28oz. Plus they use a plastic dbm and mag to save weight. The bottom plastic, mag trigger and action/bolt is around 33oz. Proof carbons aren't lighter than #2 contour steel. If you wanted to make an ultralight Tikka, get a stock from Wildcat composites(20oz) and run a short #1 or #2 steel pipe, that'll get your weight down. I built this hoping for 6#, and well it's 6.7#, and 8# scoped. It's a carbon stock and 23" barrel. I've built 3 carbon tikkas and all have been 6.6-7# granted most my barrels end up 24-26# and use an aluminum magazine(heavier than factory plastic. My custom. Tikka stocks have been on the 28-30oz end as well, they only way to truly save noticeable weight on the stock is to go to wildcat.

Those are some really fine looking rifles. Wildcat Composites is in Alberta, so finally something firearm related is easier up here.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
Slightly different topic, but if you ackley improve a cartridge do you have to rebarrel or is that just called rechambering?

khuber84

WKR
Slightly different topic, but if you ackley improve a cartridge do you have to rebarrel or is that just called rechambering?
I recommend setting the chamber back a thread or two. If the round count on barrel is over 700-800 get a new tube.

FYI on CGN (Canadagunnutz) there is a 280ai Mountain Ascent on there for $2300 Canadian.
That’s a fair price for what it is.

Kimbers don’t last long for sale on there. Montana’s are your best bang for your buck. Though when you factor in the cost of a brake $150, aluminum trigger guard $100 if you have to buy one and a Ti bolt handle ($120) it’s not a bad deal

Kimbers don’t last long for sale on there. Montana’s are your best bang for your buck. Though when you factor in the cost of a brake $150, aluminum trigger guard $100 if you have to buy one and a Ti bolt handle ($120) it’s not a bad deal
Is that Canadian $$?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
FYI on CGN (Canadagunnutz) there is a 280ai Mountain Ascent on there for $2300 Canadian.
That’s a fair price for what it is.

I can’t find it.

Jardo

WKR
My lightweight rig is a Cooper 92 Backcountry chambered in 280ai. I had a Swarovski z5 and was happy with the weight but the scope had issues returning to zero. This rig was light and handy.

I swapped the scope out for a Zeiss V6 and I am no longer ultralight but I can shoot out to 800 yards all day long and the weight is still around 6.5 lbs.

I considered a kimber ascent but when I handled it and the cooper at my LGS, there was no doubt the cooper was higher quality. It’s expensive but I’m happy with it.

My CCW is a kimber and I’m very happy with it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I didn't see it mentioned but is it hard to move guns from the US to Canada?

There was a Bergara on here in .308 going for $1000 i think that looked like an amazing 2nd hand deal. Still available a week or so ago. I'd buy it if I didn't live in Australia

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I didn't see it mentioned but is it hard to move guns from the US to Canada?

There was a Bergara on here in .308 going for $1000 i think that looked like an amazing 2nd hand deal. Still available a week or so ago. I'd buy it if I didn't live in Australia

It's possible but generally a pain in the ass from what I understand.

OP
P

Prairiekid

Lil-Rokslider
I was reading the review like the one I copied and pasted below on Hunttalk. Experiences like this are definitely alarming, it seems this one was particularly terrible. Are there a certain vintage of Kimber MA that should be avoided?

Hello Fellow Rifle Hunters,

I'm sharing my experience with Kimber to help you decide whether you should invest in one of their rifles or look elsewhere. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

-I purchased the Kimber Mountain Ascent (7mag) with the Optifade Open Country synthetic stock (special edition camo)

-I purchased the special edition Zeiss scope in the Optifade Open Country camo pattern to match the stock

Upon arrival I reviewed each product and noticed the following:

-The Kimber Mountain Ascent with the special edition Optifade Open Country camo pattern comes with black scope base/rings (have to buy matching mounts separately)

-The special edition Zeiss scope in Optifade Open Country is not hydro-dipped, but rather wrapped in what feels/looks like a heavy duty waterproof construction paper that is wrapped around and affixed to the scope.

-Zeiss (or Kimber) has an employee use a bladed instrument to cut around the twist power ring, Zeiss brand plates and so on in order that the wrap does not hide the brand or impede operation of the scope

-Brand plate was half missing as it had been chipped by the employee, wrap was unevenly applied to scope, scope had been poorly stripped of the camo wrap in places, and in other places it had not been properly removed. Overall, the quality of the application was unprofessional looking and upon notifying Kimber and providing pictures they immediately agreed to replace the scope (I opted for return, not replace). Kimber honored my request for a refund. Bought a vortex scope and sent it to an operation in Wisconsin to have it hydro-dipped to match rifle (looks much better).

-Kimber rifle action could not extract spent shells from chamber after firing. A range master provided a small rubber mallet that I used to tap the bolt in order to remove spent shells (did not have strength to pull out on my own). This happened approximately every few shots. I was directed to try different ammo. I purchased a number of other high end ammos as directed and encountered the same issue.

-Contact at Kimber requested ammo details. I provided lot number, brand, grain, and all other requested information. Kimber arranged return via my local firearms dealer. After several weeks the firearm was returned and I was told the gunsmiths on staff could not recreate the issue. Surprised I asked if they had used the ammo I had used (several different brands, etc...). I was told they hadn't. The gunsmiths simply used some ammo they had on hand and only fired the gun a few times.

-This is where Kimber did not live up to my expectations. Given their reputation and price point I'd have expected not to have to argue with the representative assigned to my case for them to take the gun back again so their gunsmith could recreate the issue using one of the number of ammo types I had fired (all info provided to them). After much resistance, Kimber gave in and took the gun back. Upon doing so and shooting the ammo types/brands I had they quickly replicated the issue I reported.

-The action of my rifle was swapped out, tested and returned. After this the rifle fired fine. Unfortunately, I missed the first hunt I had scheduled (reason I bought the rifle) as this process required a couple months for Kimber to resolve and many hours of my time.

-Upon receiving the firearm I went on another planned hunt. The hunt lasted 4 days and took place in a burn unit with limited brush. After 4 days of still hunting in mostly open country the Optifade Open County camo pattern on the stock wore off in each of the spots I held the gun in my hands. These are not scratches and are not owner caused. The camo application process is flawed, or the synthetic stock used by Kimber does not take to the application of camo.

-Again, I called Kimber. Again, they asked for pictures. Again, my rep indicated the camo should not be rubbing away like it was (after viewing the photos I provided) and offered to replace the stock. He also mentioned that he believes I'm the least lucky Kimber customer he's dealt with.

-I opted not to bother The issue is the materials used or the application process itself.

In closing, Kimber has some serious Quality Assurance issues and did not properly vet their rollout of the camo options. This says nothing of the issue I had with the action or the fact I had to be somewhat aggressive to get kimber to replicate the issue I was having with the action (a potentially unsafe condition).

Additionally, each time the firearm was sent back I had to remove the scope, then set it up again upon receipt (includes going to the range, etc...) . This and correspondence cost me many days of personal time and months of lost hunting.

I have provided this feedback in detail to Kimber. And, Kimber sent me a soft gun case and a rifle sling for my troubles. I appreciate that, but I cannot recommend this firearm to any hunter. Nor can I recommend the rifles in general given all of the issues I encountered--scope, action, stock, etc..

Thanks.

I was reading the review like the one I copied and pasted below on Hunttalk. Experiences like this are definitely alarming, it seems this one was particularly terrible. Are there a certain vintage of Kimber MA that should be avoided?

Hello Fellow Rifle Hunters,

I'm sharing my experience with Kimber to help you decide whether you should invest in one of their rifles or look elsewhere. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them.

-I purchased the Kimber Mountain Ascent (7mag) with the Optifade Open Country synthetic stock (special edition camo)

-I purchased the special edition Zeiss scope in the Optifade Open Country camo pattern to match the stock

Upon arrival I reviewed each product and noticed the following:

-The Kimber Mountain Ascent with the special edition Optifade Open Country camo pattern comes with black scope base/rings (have to buy matching mounts separately)

-The special edition Zeiss scope in Optifade Open Country is not hydro-dipped, but rather wrapped in what feels/looks like a heavy duty waterproof construction paper that is wrapped around and affixed to the scope.

-Zeiss (or Kimber) has an employee use a bladed instrument to cut around the twist power ring, Zeiss brand plates and so on in order that the wrap does not hide the brand or impede operation of the scope

-Brand plate was half missing as it had been chipped by the employee, wrap was unevenly applied to scope, scope had been poorly stripped of the camo wrap in places, and in other places it had not been properly removed. Overall, the quality of the application was unprofessional looking and upon notifying Kimber and providing pictures they immediately agreed to replace the scope (I opted for return, not replace). Kimber honored my request for a refund. Bought a vortex scope and sent it to an operation in Wisconsin to have it hydro-dipped to match rifle (looks much better).

-Kimber rifle action could not extract spent shells from chamber after firing. A range master provided a small rubber mallet that I used to tap the bolt in order to remove spent shells (did not have strength to pull out on my own). This happened approximately every few shots. I was directed to try different ammo. I purchased a number of other high end ammos as directed and encountered the same issue.

-Contact at Kimber requested ammo details. I provided lot number, brand, grain, and all other requested information. Kimber arranged return via my local firearms dealer. After several weeks the firearm was returned and I was told the gunsmiths on staff could not recreate the issue. Surprised I asked if they had used the ammo I had used (several different brands, etc...). I was told they hadn't. The gunsmiths simply used some ammo they had on hand and only fired the gun a few times.

-This is where Kimber did not live up to my expectations. Given their reputation and price point I'd have expected not to have to argue with the representative assigned to my case for them to take the gun back again so their gunsmith could recreate the issue using one of the number of ammo types I had fired (all info provided to them). After much resistance, Kimber gave in and took the gun back. Upon doing so and shooting the ammo types/brands I had they quickly replicated the issue I reported.

-The action of my rifle was swapped out, tested and returned. After this the rifle fired fine. Unfortunately, I missed the first hunt I had scheduled (reason I bought the rifle) as this process required a couple months for Kimber to resolve and many hours of my time.

-Upon receiving the firearm I went on another planned hunt. The hunt lasted 4 days and took place in a burn unit with limited brush. After 4 days of still hunting in mostly open country the Optifade Open County camo pattern on the stock wore off in each of the spots I held the gun in my hands. These are not scratches and are not owner caused. The camo application process is flawed, or the synthetic stock used by Kimber does not take to the application of camo.

-Again, I called Kimber. Again, they asked for pictures. Again, my rep indicated the camo should not be rubbing away like it was (after viewing the photos I provided) and offered to replace the stock. He also mentioned that he believes I'm the least lucky Kimber customer he's dealt with.

-I opted not to bother The issue is the materials used or the application process itself.

In closing, Kimber has some serious Quality Assurance issues and did not properly vet their rollout of the camo options. This says nothing of the issue I had with the action or the fact I had to be somewhat aggressive to get kimber to replicate the issue I was having with the action (a potentially unsafe condition).

Additionally, each time the firearm was sent back I had to remove the scope, then set it up again upon receipt (includes going to the range, etc...) . This and correspondence cost me many days of personal time and months of lost hunting.

I have provided this feedback in detail to Kimber. And, Kimber sent me a soft gun case and a rifle sling for my troubles. I appreciate that, but I cannot recommend this firearm to any hunter. Nor can I recommend the rifles in general given all of the issues I encountered--scope, action, stock, etc..

Thanks.

I have two Kimbers, a Montana(308) and a Subalpine(280ai)

Both needed the mag box 'ears' ground down. The 308 shot well out of the box save for mag box.

The Subalpine wasn't free floated. I called Kimber before ever firing it - no questions asked they sent me a return label. Two weeks later I had it back with a new stock and a test target. It also shoots well now.

I'm not at all saying Kimber never had a problem because according to reviews they did. The two I bought have mostly been great. Dealing with Kimbers customer service wasn't at all painful.

If I had a need I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another.

My advice is to buy a used one and sent it off to get bedded right off the hop. Few good smiths out here in BC