Shopping for best Chronograph

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I've made it all these years and thousands & thousands of rounds without owning one. I've used friends' and really liked them, although I always go with the most accurate load, not the fastest. I shoot archery, rifle, and muzzleloader.

Anyway,
1) Do I really need one?

2) What brands are the best and the best for the money?

Thanks

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
1 yes you absolutely need one! I was in the same boat as you. It tells you so much about your loads. Consistently is the biggest thing I have noticed. Also I have noticed the load Datas velocity is much different than actual data.

I have a pro chrono and it gets the job done for me. It is a cheaper but dependable unit, not as cheap as some but a guy can spend a whole bunch of money on one.

Last edited:

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
They really give you a good idea of what is going on, especially with the standard deviation of your muzzle velocity. If you have two, you can also calculate the actual BCs of the bullets out of YOUR gun.

The best of the least expensive chronys are form Pro Chrono, in my experience.

The PACT chronographs are more expensive, but really nice.

Regardless of make or model, it is good to check velocities against a known accurate chrono, to make sure yours is reading right.

I liked my pro chrono from competition electronics but recently used it for penetration testing a 6.8SPC so was in the market for a new one. While I had the prochrono I had some problems getting it to read in less than perfect lighting. The shooting chrony beta seems to pick up shots better in those lighting conditions and have a bigger "sweet spot". I really liked the idea of connecting the prochrono up to a laptop to save the data but the laptop I was using recently died and I don't plan to replace it so I just went with a Shooting Chrony Beta to replace the one I murdered.

I think you'll like one, but be prepared to test a bunch more loads when you do. It gives you one more criteria to try and perfect, which isn't alwasy easy!

I love mine and wouldn't reload without it.

Matt W.

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think if you buy ammo you don't NEED one, but would be a nice to have item. Some ranges have them to borrow or offer days when they will chrono your loads for you. If you reload it is a MUST... With that said I have been reloading for about 4 years now and just have not pulled the trigger on one. Been lucky enough to borrow here and there. A Pro Chrono is on my short list....

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks everyone. I'm still shopping, hit a money snag, so I guess I'll just do more research until the bank account starts North again.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
I really like the Pro Chrono as well. I have two of them, so I can check BC. The problem is about a week ago I put a muzzleloader sabot through the face of one of them :-(

Ouch. I know a guy who's wife bought him the rcbs chrono for his birthday and blew it up the first shot he TRIED to put through it. I told him put through it means in between the rods not the body! His wife still doesn't know.

Ouch. I know a guy who's wife bought him the rcbs chrono for his birthday and blew it up the first shot he TRIED to put through it. I told him put through it means in between the rods not the body! His wife still doesn't know.

Ohhhhh noooooo. Wow. Well I sure wasn't trying that...lol. I thought setting it up 10 feet away I wouldn't have that problem. I do wonder what is the best set-up is when shooting a muzzleloader, since you have the bullet...the sabot....and a huge smoke cloud...and are trying to get a good accurate reading of the bullet velocity and not a false reading on the other things.