Shopping for simple, comfortable, day pack that can haul an elk quarter.

Laramie

WKR
Title says it all. Just curious what everyone's opinions are. I'm not concerned with budget as this will be my only big ticket item for the next year. My goal is to find a light and comfortable pack that I can carry just day hunt basics in that also can comfortably carry a quarter. Only additional item would be that I want it to have a bladder. I'm open to used as well to save a buck- likely will end up buying a couple to find the right one. If it matters, I am 6'2" and a long torso - 30" inseam. Thanks in advance for any help.

Meridian90

Lil-Rokslider
If your looking for simple I would go Exo or SG. They are very simple in design, and I sincerely mean that as a compliment.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I’ve got a gorilla torso, just shy of 6’3”. Exo is a great buy. I’ve got the 4800 but picked up the 1800 bag on here used. Great day pack and would easily haul a quarter out.

OP
Laramie

Laramie

WKR
Appreciate the replies. This will give me a few good starting points for my shopping.

tdot

WKR
Seek Outside Revolution frame, along with a bag of your choice. The frame articulates very well with your body and makes it disappear on your back. It feels like a very minimalist day pack, but it can pack out huge loads too. You can also add 2-4" extensions to turn it into a 26"-28" frame with a few minutes of work in the field. I haven't seen another pack that has such opposing attributes, or that handles the 2 extremes of day pack/freighter so well.

for day hunting only, the mystery ranch pop up is a great pack. i have the 18 and have packed out lots of whole quartered deer and several elk in mine. i have had some heavy loads on that little pack and it's been a gem for a day pack... especially if you hunt around brushy area where a frame is always getting hung up on stuff.

i love my EXO as well, it's a great pack, but just as a simple day pack, the MR pop up does great, and handles weight way better than i expected.... it's my archery roosie pack, when i don't want a frame sticking up.... water and kill kit and daily essentials, and can handle a big mature roosie ham without issue.....

the only time i wished it was bigger was in 2018 when i killed a moose of a buck plus had the pack full, but it did it, and wasn't that bad, it was just tough to even out and secure the weight with all of the quarters and loose meat. i would have never guessed it was possible when i first got that pack.

handwerk

WKR
Although my main pack is a SG 5900 which I love and has served me well, the last 2 years for day hunts I've been pretty happy with MR sawtooth 45, just hauled elk quarters last week and also have hauled 4 deer out with it.
It's held up well and the loadshelf is pretty straight forward.

Sekora

Lil-Rokslider
I never had the opportunity to haul an elk quarter yet, but put some 60 pound plus loads on my Kifaru Lite / Stryker combo. I wear it as a daypack and really like it. The frame takes a lot of stress off of my back on a long day and I actually feel better after the days I use it versus not using a pack. With all of the add ons offered by Kifaru, you can customize it to hold whatever you want. I have not felt the need to add to mine.