Shore fishing on the Gulf - Rookie needs help!

bz_711

WKR
Looking for any tips/advice...taking family to the Gulf (FL panhandle) in June as we've done multiple times...but was thinking about getting a couple shore rigs for this year to try something different. We've offshored fish once which was a blast but hardly affordable this go around with my 4 kids bringing a friend along. We've also done the pole rental/pier fishing and had some success.

My question - any of you with experience shore fishing in the gulf - what would be a decent BUDGET PRICED rig that I could possibly buy 2 of (recommended pole and line lb test rating). Really just looking to fish a couple times probably in the evening as we are staying right across street from beach this time. This would be 10-17yr olds that I'm hoping could drag any kind of fish in - if it's edible we might keep a couple, if not we'll release. We typically only bass fish lakes/ponds here in IL and I've brought our gear down before but quickly realized it's not cut out for saltwater.

Also - best quick reference guide so I'd even know what fish is what and state shorefishing rules for kids.

I appreciate any replies! Or PM if you'd like. Thanks!

WKR
The penn fierce 3 combo with a 4000 reel is around 90 bucks and can be found at Walmart. I use 20lb braid with a double drop rig and fishbites with that pole. I just throw that into the first gut and it's always catching something. Usually just smaller fish but it keeps the kids entertained.

Vandy321

WKR
I've spent 5 years on the gulf coast, mostly fly fishing inshore for reds, but when the wife wanted to go to the beach, I'd take the surf fishing rig and hammer some big reds. Google earth is your friend, it's a decent representation of the sandbars and will help you get on the fish (for big reds, target just outside the 2nd sandbar of you can reach it. If not, between the two will work ok).

Go to the local sporting goods store, buy the biggest/cheapest saltwater spinning combo you can find (tell them it's for surf fishing, prob wants at least 8-9ft rod) and load it up with 30-50lb test, some of those bull reds are easily over 35" and they can fight. Get some pyramid weights, probably 4oz is fine but if current is ripping, you may need 8oz. Drop a double hook setup off of that with one maybe 12" off and the other another 24" down to target both depths.

Grab some cigar minnows (fresh will hold together longer than frozen and or small blue crabs (halfed blue crabs seem to work best, but whole work as well).

Walk out as far as you can over the first sandbar for sure...whatever you need to cast that rig just over the 2nd sandbar. That is where the big bull reds will cruise most often. That weight should keep the setup in place, walk back to the beach letting line out...set it up in your PVC pole older in the sand and reel in the slack. Grab a cold Coors Light and wait for the drag to scream.

If you didn't mean spin fishing and instead want to fly fish reds in the shallows, PM me, I can help with that too.

Last edited:

Rich M

WKR
What do you own?

I will take my fishing tackle into the shower with me after fishing the salt. The warm/hot water helps dissolve and remove the salt - keeps the rod & reel in good condition.

A 7 ft 4000 class spinning rod and a couple 3-foot lengths of 2 or 3-inch PVC pipe with a point on one end will do 90% of what you are asking for. Piece of shrimp on a 1 or 1/0 hook with a 2 oz pyramid sinker in the surf will catch a lot of fish on the cheap and easy.

I use 4000 class spinners for most of my inshore and nearshore fishing but don't target the bull reds or drum when surf fishing - mostly whiting. My surf fishing tackle is a pile of sinkers 1-4 oz pyramid sinkers and a couple double dropper 25# mono leaders in one of those clear plastic nut tubs - rod is a 7 ft ugly stick with 4000 Shimano with 30# braid and 25# leader. It holds about 200-250 yards of line and will take care of the unintentional larger fish.

The big pole recommendation above would be preferred if targeting the big fish for the thrill of it all. The big reds go back in, can't keep em. 1/2 crab is a great bait, figure a 6/0-8/0 circle hook on a 40 or 50# leader.

Use braided line and a uni to uni knot to connect mono leaders to braid. It's just easy and strong.

FWC has a decent website for regulations - search FL Gulf Fishing Regulations.

Red snapper season will be open if you could swing a party boat trip - I went out on a party/head boat out of Destin once and it was a good time. They will run about $100/adult and $50/kids but not sure what age is the cutoff for children's fare.

FLAK

WKR
xtended rod holders you can drive up in the sand,,,high enough so that people walking by can walk UNDER your line. People walking the beach dont pay a lot of attention to anything.
And the sharks are prolific, esp. in the evenings.

Seth

WKR
All good recommendations above. I will add that for kids, we found Berkeley Gulp shrimp fished on a lead head on light spinning tackle produced flounder and whiting. A little more active for kids that can cast, and it holds their attention a bit better.

We bought some really cheap closed face combos from Walmart for the little ones. Not too much concern if they trashed or lost them.

I’d pretty much mirror everything that’s been said. I bring down my regular spinning tackle with 10-12 lb braid. I tie my own rigs. This year for kicks (and because it was easier) I experimented with tying regular drop shot rigs. Worked just fine.

Use sand fleas if you can dig them up or shrimp. Guy this year filled me in on the blue crabs, that was a new one for me.

f912750d8a3902844b35429e291db55c.jpg

bbdb6ebe3f2e7a796c68fb968c55bf32.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finch

WKR
So I still consider myself a newbie at surf fishing but have learned a few things. A few years back I bought a 10' Daiwa beef stick rod and reel combo. Caught a few fish but last year I took my bass fishing rig (6'6" rod and 3000ish series reel) and caught more fish than I ever had. I was just trying to catch anything though and nothing too big. I have tried sand fleas with some success(dig your own) and have had limited success with shrimp, finger mullet, and squid.

I've never had what I'd call a great day surf fishing. I will drink a beer while my rod is stuck in the sand spike and just watch my line. I much prefer fishing the sound side of the ocean at the Outer Banks than the ocean itself.

Good luck buddy!

Attachments

• 2019061195135959.jpg
    2019061195135959.jpg
    188.8 KB · Views: 39
  • 2019061195140026001.jpg
    2019061195140026001.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 37
  • 20190803_142035.jpg
    20190803_142035.jpg
    173.3 KB · Views: 38
3-3.5ft of light (15#) fluorocarbon leader
Owner Mutu Light 1/0 circle hook
Sand fleas
1 oz egg sinker
swivel

This will catch pompano (ideally), whiting, and redfish, as well as undesirables like pinfish, grunts, stingrays, bonnet head sharks, and catfish.

You do not need a big clunky rod/reel combo.....anything you use for catching bass in freshwater will be just fine. There is no structure out there, so in the event you hook a redfish or bonnet head you will just have a great fight.

If you can't catch or find sand fleas at the bait shops, a peeled 1/2 of a shrimp tail is a good second choice.
slip sinker.jpg

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
True shore fisherman will say use a big surf rod. I find them bulky and inconvenient. I’m down in SW FL and primarily fish off a boat, but I never hesitate to bring a medium, 7’-7’6”, spinning rod with a 3000-4000 series reel to the beaches. My girlfriend’s family lives in the panhandle and I fish there quite a bit with the same setup. I like the fight of the fish and will always aim for the lightest setup I can ethically use without burning the fish up to be eaten upon release.
The Penn Fierce as mentioned is a good setup, but I’ve burnt two out in not a lot of use. They’re not sealed (or at least not sealed well) and don’t hold up to the salt and sand for me. Yes, I always rinse and oil my gear after using it. Doesn’t seem to extend the life of the Fierce very much. For not much more you can buy the Penn Battle setups which last a whole lot longer in my experience. I currently have 3 Battle reels, the oldest of which is 8 years old and still works like new. Daiwa BG completes are also a good option at the same price point.
I strictly use braid for inshore saltwater fishing. 20-25 lb test with a 3’ 20-30 pound fluoro leader.
I don’t know what your considering “budget priced”. The Battle and BG combos can both be had for $130-$150. Anything less and it won’t last, but if you’re from IL and only fish the salt occasionally you’re probably not looking for years of regular use in your durability.
Just google “FWC Saltwater Fishing Regulations” and you’ll get pictures, length and season regulations, and any other relevant information. FL has a better wildlife website than a lot of other states as far as ease of finding regs.
Feel free to PM if you want to talk more.

Loper

WKR
Great advice above. I can’t add too much more than what has already been said.

I agree with the first commenter’s post about the Penn Fierce 4000 combo. They aren’t super expensive and offer more than a $30-$40 combo will.

Unless you are going for the larger fish like bull reds, black drum, tarpon, etc. (not sure if tarpon run all the way to the panhandle) you are fine with a 7 ft rod that comes with the Fierce combo. The longer, heavier rods, allow you use a heavier weight and cast further out. If you were fishing on the Atlantic side, a longer and heavier rod would be recommended as the surf is stronger and you’ll need a heavier weight to keep your line from moving. Generally speaking, the gulf is pretty calm and in my opinion is a little easier to surf fish.

I’ve caught plenty of fish (whiting, pompano, flounder, spanish mackerel, jacks, rays, small sharks etc.) in the first and second troughs. Even if you get a heavier fish, you’ll be fine with the 7 ft rod as long as you have the appropriate line as there isn’t any structure to get wrapped up around. I like 20 lb braid.

Last edited:
OP
bz_711

bz_711

WKR
Thank you for all the replies...VERY helpful...this site Roks!

Lastly...I've ate Snapper, Mackerel, Grouper, Trigger, Seabass (and liked every one)...but those appear to be primarily reef fish...what are the couple most desirable to eat shore fish in the gulf? Would like to clean a few if it works out...

Loper

WKR
Whiting, pompano, flounder, and spanish mackerel are all fish you can catch from the beach that are good table fare. The thing with whiting is that they aren’t huge so the fillets aren’t very big, but you can easily catch them and keep a lot of them.

Reds are good to eat but you can’t keep them in most of the Florida gulf coast right now. I’m not sure this applies all the way up to the panhandle.

Vandy321

WKR
Thank you for all the replies...VERY helpful...this site Roks!

Lastly...I've ate Snapper, Mackerel, Grouper, Trigger, Seabass (and liked every one)...but those appear to be primarily reef fish...what are the couple most desirable to eat shore fish in the gulf? Would like to clean a few if it works out...
Imo, nothing compares to blackened redfish for taste. The panhandle is open for them, you can keep slot reds (18-27") from about Tampa to Alabama.

NoWiser

WKR
I ate a few upper slot redfish that I caught last week in SW Florida. They were delicious, as were the trout, snapper, and stone crabs I also got into.

I don't know how it compares to the fishing in NW Florida, but the beach fishing I've done in SW Florida is a blast. I can't get enough of it.

Also, if there are any lagoons /ponds/estuaries, check for blue crabs. Catching and eating those ornary buggers is about as much fun as you can have.

I live in MN, but our annual family trip to Florida in the spring is definitely one of the highlights of the year for me. I don't have time to even scratch the surface of all the fun outdoor activities there is to do down there.