Shore fishing on the Gulf - Rookie needs help!

NoWiser

WKR
Redfish aint bad but,,,,,Mangrove snapper any day!!!
I don't know! We grilled up a bunch of the fish we caught and ranked them. The mangrove snapper finished dead last. That's not to say it wasn't delicious, we just found them less delicious than the other fish. Redfish finished second. Of all things, porkfish finished first.

Vandy321

WKR
Either way OP...can't go wrong with "blackened" anything from the gulf...get some old bay blackened spice seasoning, cake that on both sides and cast iron skillet or drop it on the grill. If you end up with some grouper, AJ or snapper...some blackened tacos may be my favorite dish from the gulf, outside of some fresh tuna.

NoWiser

WKR
In general, I much prefer eating saltwater fish to freshwater, both for taste and texture. On my bucket list is to catch a legal snook to cook up.

Jbxl20

WKR
First time in Florida. I’m here in Naples right now with some friends and we are all from PA. Any recommendations on fishing charters, would a charter be worth it for 3 of us? or is the public fishing on the beach enough to stay busy. Me and two of the guys are trying to get away from the shopping and sight seeing of the trip and rip some lips.

Loper

WKR
Not sure your exact location on the beach, but depending on if the beach is really populated you can expect to get some good fishing in until about mid-morning. In my experience, after that the bite slows down and there’s too many people in the water.

I haven’t chartered him but I’ve heard great things about Capt. Justin Napior. His site is www.backcountryculture.com and phone number is 239-682-7101. You can also check out his Instagram for some of his catches.

NoWiser

WKR
First time in Florida. I’m here in Naples right now with some friends and we are all from PA. Any recommendations on fishing charters, would a charter be worth it for 3 of us? or is the public fishing on the beach enough to stay busy. Me and two of the guys are trying to get away from the shopping and sight seeing of the trip and rip some lips.
You should be able to get on some snook in the mornings and evenings fishing from the beach. After dark, catch a ladyfish and put it on a circle hook and toss near some dock or bridge lights, and hang on tight. Otherwise, rent a few kayaks and go explore some mangrove shorelines. If you don't care what you catch, it's hard to keep fish off your line throwing a jig and shrimp to pockets in the mangroves or oyster bars at high tide.

Jbxl20

WKR
Thanks guys I’m sitting here now drinking some coffee looking at and debating options. It’s our 10 year anniversary trip and 2 other couples came along. We were supposed to go to Jamaica and it got canceled last minute so Florida was our last minute go to. If we were planning Florida I would have been more prepared in advance. I figured we would just show up here and go with the flow. We are all pretty laid back and girls may or may not come along with a charter. Thanks again for the quick response with suggestions

Loper

WKR
The charter I mentioned above is more of an inshore and backcountry guide. The boats for these types of charters are often flats boats and bay boats, so I don’t think there will be enough room for the ladies to join. If you are looking for something for everyone you’ll likely want a different charter.

I agree with NoWiser’s post above about renting kayaks. That’s what I did last year when staying at a hotel in Key Largo. I rented a kayak for a few days and really enjoyed exploring the various islands and fishing the flats and mangroves.

Tight lines and best wishes on your vacation.

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Welcome to the city of the dead! Seriously, everyone is 117 years old if you haven’t noticed. I fish periodically at Wiggins pass. State park with big beaches for the ladies to hang out and can almost always guarantee a catch (although sometimes just catfish). Just a heads up, the park rangers will yell at you for swimming too close to the pass because of the riptides through there. Just go down the beach a little ways from the pass and you’re fine if y’all want to swim too. Jig head and some frozen shrimp or squid will do just fine. Different snappers, Jacks, ladyfish, and the occasional pompano are pretty regular catches. If it’s low tide you can wade along the mangroves back towards the bay. I’ve caught plenty of snook and reds out of those mangroves.
Kayak rental is a much more cost effective way to explore but certainly requires more work. There’s a couple rental shops that go out of cocohatchee river park right by Wiggins. Dumps you out into great backwater for fishing. That’s where I spend most of my weekends on the boat.
if you’re interested in artificials, I have the best luck on mirrolure suspending hard plastics and DOA cal shads with a 1/4 oz jig head thrown into mangroves and oyster bars.

Jbxl20

WKR
Thanks. Just left a voicemail for backcountry culture waiting for a call back. One of the couples with us are avid kayakers and that might be a fun option. I have all my saltwater beach gear at home and would hate to have to go buy some cheap gear for a few days. I’m thinking a charter would be our best option. With included licensing and gear.

Hschweers

Lil-Rokslider
Did you bring any gear down? I don’t use a true “surf” setup when I fish the beaches because I hate how big and bulky they are. Medium power 7’ rod and a 3000-4000 series reel pretty much does it all for me on the beach. The pass isn’t that wide either. I can easily cast 1/2-3/4 of the distance across with this gear.

Jbxl20

WKR
We did not bring any gear. If we fish on our own we would probably pick up some cheap bass rods.

Carr5vols

WKR
Also some of the wma's in Florida have hog hunts during the summer...wear snake gaiters...lots of fun things to do on the panhandle.

Jbxl20

WKR
Not sure your exact location on the beach, but depending on if the beach is really populated you can expect to get some good fishing in until about mid-morning. In my experience, after that the bite slows down and there’s too many people in the water.

I haven’t chartered him but I’ve heard great things about Capt. Justin Napior. His site is www.backcountryculture.com and phone number is 239-682-7101. You can also check out his Instagram for some of his catches.
I Called a few charters and most were filled up.

Justin wasn’t able to accommodate all 6 of us unless he ran two boats. But very nice guy and helpful. He gave us a some references and we have a boat booked ready for all 6 of us in the morning. Capt said on the phone not expect many monsters but plan to be busy. We will see how it goes.
Also some of the wma's in Florida have hog hunts during the summer...wear snake gaiters...lots of fun things to do on the panhandle.

I’ve looked into hog hunting. Also saw an outfitter that uses swamp buggies.

Loper

WKR
Good to hear. Sounds like you all will have a good time both fishing and hunting.

Be sure to post some photos of what you get.

Last edited:

Jbxl20

WKR
Had a great time with captain Mark. We fished for a few hours in the mangroves and then out off the beach. Fishing was busy and All 6 of us hooked up multiple times and brought home some nice filets. At our request he took us on a short sight seeing trip of some 20-30 million dollar houses and took us to a neat little beach where no one was around and let us hang out for a while. Was a great trip and exactly what we were looking for. Thanks for the recommendations. 👍

Attachments

• 2FDA61DF-EE9B-42C2-8558-59F3C2F137F4.jpeg
    2FDA61DF-EE9B-42C2-8558-59F3C2F137F4.jpeg
    365.4 KB · Views: 9