Short ata bows

What’s up guys I currently shoot a Mathews triax which is a 28 ata.

the new Mathews is 27 inch. Being so short this bow will probably make longer shots difficult right? I will shoot one this week and see how it feels.

I would be interested in the new 31 ata from Mathews but Mathews are already slightly heavy and don’t want to add the weight of the longer bow if I don’t need to.

what are your thoughts? What are the cons of the shorter ata.

weight:

v3 27 - 4.29lbs
V3 31 - 4.50lbs

my current triax is 4.46 so I am sure I won’t even notice the extra weight on the 31

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Im interested in this as well. I'm actually shooting the triax as well and i love the bow but i cannot stand the top heavy feel. Looking to move to a new bow, while i am looking at the new mathews line up im not opposed to something else

OP
F
I agree but when I shot the hoyts the lightweight was nice but backwall felt spongey to me also felt noticeable louder to me

ATA can be a little misleading anymore. Larger cams give a better string angle. Long risers on short bows help as well.

A lot of these newer bows punch above their weight class in terms of ATA.

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Gonna shoot the vxr this week as well to see if it isn't as top heavy, plus i really want to get something in that ambush green. But who knows i might just give my triax a makeover and get this top heavy feel leveled out

Zac

WKR
It's gonna be just as top heavy. Mathews hasn't changed where they put the Berger hole.

BullsDeep

Lil-Rokslider
Thats good to hear. I was gonna say theres no way the mathews crowd is okay with every bow being as top heavy as the triax. Seriously if they are im gonna go back to my hoyt! Do u have a newer mathews?

I've been itching to try a VXR and sell my BT Reign 6 - I didn't realize Matthews bows were known for being so top heavy - that seems like it would not be good for accuracy...

Thats good to hear. I was gonna say theres no way the mathews crowd is okay with every bow being as top heavy as the triax. Seriously if they are im gonna go back to my hoyt! Do u have a newer mathews?

If asking me, yes. I have a TRX 36 and. VXR 31. Several other bows hanging on the rack here as well, those are just the Mathews.

jmez

WKR
Recent thread over on AT showing the string angles of multiple different bows. The large cams and long risers don't fix the string angle issue. It is much more acute than longer bows.

Mathews Vertex 30' = 75 degrees
Mathews V3 27' = 69 degrees

Burnt Reynolds

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a v3 27ata Thursday. 60lbs x 29in. draw. I've liked 35ish ata bows for a while and was actually thinking of buying another Hoyt. Shot couple different Hoyts, the bigger v3, and two prime bows. They're all pretty good. I shot it a ton this weeked and the max range on my property is 80 yards which is about the bottom of the bubble level. No issues whatsoever. Don't even need a stabilizer. I went with the little bow and a fixed 5 pin sight because I liked how compact and simple the whole package was, figured if I don't like it after a few weeks of ownership I'll just get something else then. My first impression is that won't be an issue. I don't hunt from a blind/treestand so I wasn't thinking in terms of those uses. I wanted something that would fit on my pack well and not ride too tall and/or low when I'm on my bike. I'd be just as happy I'm sure with any of the other bows I shot but frankly, just wanted to try out this whole tiny bow thing. So far so good.

The only problem I ran into was getting the peep high enough, it's at its max possible height on the string and luckily works just fine, had I needed more it would have been a no-go on that bow for me due to the position of the string weights and monkey tail.

*Edit: While the string angle is different than my Hoyt (34 ata), and even my old Mathews Creed (30 ata which feels pretty similar to my Hoyt's string angle) I don't find it bothersome. I consider how quickly I can line up my peep and sight housing and achieve a solid anchor more than anything else and I don't have any issues. Moreover, it's a whole new bow compared to my other two - grip, weight, balance point, draw, ata, etc...all are different so its more a matter of acclimating myself to it compared to my others. Didn't take long at all to get comfortable shooting and getting my pins set. If weather permits I'll be hitting some area 3d courses soon, doing so is ordinarily my preferred test of a new bow. How well I get along with it carrying around in the woods and shooting from odd angles, varying levels of shade, small & large targets, wind/rain or sunshine and so-forth. If that goes well, which I expect it to, I'll be sending the Hoyt down the road. Another point to consider, and this is andecdotal so take with a grain of salt is that with the more acute string angle I feel like there's less chance of interferance with my aparral and/or my chest harness which carries my binos, rangefinder, and small pouch for odds & ends. Also, for anyone on the fence, I'm 6'1" and as stated I have the 60lbs mods with limbs cranked down which ends up about 64 lbs draw weight, 29 inch draw, shooting 437 grain Easton ACC's with 125 grain tips. I'll report back after I've had the bow a while and shot it more but as of this writing it's solidly in the "would buy again" column.

Last edited: