Short Barrel .308 Elk Load

Brendan

WKR
Want to see if anyone has any advice or experience with an Elk load for a short barreled .308.

Just got back from my hunt this year, and ended up carrying my almost 10# 300 WM the whole trip, and a lot of the hunt turned into closer range still hunting in the timber. At the very least, I felt like I should have had my 6# Kimber Adirondack with me as my backup (and for conditions like that) so want to start thinking about some reloading for next year.

Anyone have any experience with something as heavy as the Berger 215 in a .308? What about going copper and running a Cutting Edge Lazer 165 or 180? I know both of those are advertised to expand down to 1200 fps. Any powder recommendations for shorter barrel?

Ideally, I'd like something that'd perform out to 600 yards if needed, assuming practice behind the gun goes well in the off-season.

Doc Holliday

WKR
Classified Approved
Subscribed....I am thinking of getting a short barreled 308 myself.......having visions of a load for 165 gr Accubond.

Wrench

WKR
If you're only going to 600 the 215 really seems like a waste. Why not something like a 150-165 to capitalize on what you have and what you plan to do with it?

EastMT

WKR
I Love my 308, my favorite cartridge, but I do feel 600 is a bit far for it on elk. I shoot 165/180 partitions, just got some 190 LRAB testing started. I have both a 20”, 24” barrel, so far I like the W760 loads out of the Nosler book. I didn’t like the LRAB at 3300 FPS in another rifle, thinking at 2600 it might perform better.

The 215 gr could work, if you have a gun setup for long ammo, as you are going to run out of powder room pretty fast with that big/long of a bullet trying to get factory COAL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
If you're only going to 600 the 215 really seems like a waste. Why not something like a 150-165 to capitalize on what you have and what you plan to do with it?

Can you expand on that? What makes it a waste, or what makes the lighter bullet better? More velocity to drive better expansion outweighs the extra bullet weight?

My one concern with the Berger is that I think I've seen recommended minimum 1800 FPS for reliable expansion. Not sure Berger advertises that because it's technically a "target" bullet.

OP
Brendan

Brendan

WKR
The 215 gr could work, if you have a gun setup for long ammo, as you are going to run out of powder room pretty fast with that big/long of a bullet trying to get factory COAL.

Good point, I'll have to test COAL limitations. I'm not opposed to lengthening the throat some depending on magazine lengths, but haven't tested.

Wrench

WKR
Can you expand on that? What makes it a waste, or what makes the lighter bullet better? More velocity to drive better expansion outweighs the extra bullet weight?

My one concern with the Berger is that I think I've seen recommended minimum 1800 FPS for reliable expansion. Not sure Berger advertises that because it's technically a "target" bullet.

Guys shoot Berger to capitalize on the BC. ...and rapid expansion.

At 308 velocity and 600 yard max range, you don't NEED either and honestly, you'll not exceed performance of a 150-165 class bullet in anything but possible wind drift....and at 600 max, not enough to sweat.

A faster 165 will have less arc, faster impact and have been proven effective for about a century.

Please post your findings. I’m building a 16.5” 308 for suppresses shooting and would be interested in your loads. I think for elk you could go two ways- heavy “target “ bullets like the Berger or ELDM 180gr + which work well and low velocities or go light and fast with Monos like the Hammers or Barnes - 130gr or less.

I have some 308 Hammer Hunters in 124 gr that should zip. would be interested in seeing how fast the Absolute Hammers could go.

My son's youth model Savage 110 grouped real well with 165 grain Accubonds, BLC-2 powder and Lapua brass. Shot a cow elk during the AZ youth season a few years ago. It worked like it should. Not sure how long the barrel is but it's pretty short!!

Iman

FNG
Im trying the Cutting Edge 180 Maximus this year. Should still be going around 1800 @ 600y out of 22” 308w at my elevation. They advertise 1400 fps as the required minimum for the bullet i believe. Will see how it performs.

RMajors

Lil-Rokslider
My buddy just purchased an 18" Ruger American predator in .308 last Saturday. He happened upon some 130 grain Barnes vor-tx ammo at a local shop after Cabelas had zero .308 ammo of any kind. I recommended that he pick it up, with the agreement that I would buy or trade him for it if his gun didn't like it. With the first 3 shots ,after 2 shots to zero, the next 3 clover leafed at 100 yards out of a brand new barrel. I've had surprisingly good luck with the accuracy of vor-tx in several different calibers and rifles. I shoot 130 ttsx in my reloads for my 20" remington 700 ltr, and they group well under an inch at 100, though I haven't ever chronographed the load. The 130 absolutely hammers deer, and in my experience, which admittedly doesn't include elk size game, mono bullets are best at screaming fast velocities. They will go through bone at lower speeds still, but the internal damage is much more pronounced at higher speeds. So if you shoot shoulders on elk, I'd probably prefer the heavier 150-180 grains for the improved sectional density and penetration. If you shoot behind the shoulder, the 130 or 150 might be just the ticket. I'll link a video of the 130 grain ttsx shot out of a 30-378 at 4100 plus fps so you can see what kind of abuse this bullet will hold up to. It blew my mind honestly.

I use the 178 ELDX for my LMT MWS with a 16 inch barrel. The reason I like it is after trying numerous factory loads to include TAP and FGMM, ELDX has the exact same point of impact whether my gun is suppressed or not. No shift when I add the can. Of course this is pure blind luck.

tdot

WKR
Please post your findings. I’m building a 16.5” 308 for suppresses shooting and would be interested in your loads. I think for elk you could go two ways- heavy “target “ bullets like the Berger or ELDM 180gr + which work well and low velocities or go light and fast with Monos like the Hammers or Barnes - 130gr or less.

I have some 308 Hammer Hunters in 124 gr that should zip. would be interested in seeing how fast the Absolute Hammers could go.

I had time for one ladder test of the 124 HH before hunting season started. I hit a little over 3200fps, with a 22" barrel; ran out of case capacity, before I hit pressure. Will switch to a faster powder and continue testing. I have high hopes for that little bullet.

Last edited:
I had time for one ladder test of the 124 HH before hunting season started. I hit a little over 3200fps, with a 22" barrel; ran out of case capacity, before I hit pressure. Will switch to a faster powder and continue testing. I have high hopes for that little bullet.
It’s a neat looking little bullet. I think it will do great on deer.

what powder did you try on your ladder?

tdot

WKR
I used IMR 8208XBR. I'll shoot for groups around 3150fps, as I recall that was just before the powder was compressed, and it looked promising. Benchmark is next, if that doesn't work.

I'll be using it on a North Coast black bear this Spring, and if I'm happy with that and after some water jug ballistic tests, it might just go on next year's Elk hunt, where any shot would be sub 200 yards.

SDHNTR

WKR
I shoot 165 federal trophy copper factory out of my 18” .308, only cause they one hole out of this gun and someone gave me a pile of em. They shoot a lil shy of 2600 and I’d not hesitate for a second to take it on an elk hunt. It’s wonderful to hike and pack with.