Short barrel, suppressor, noise?

CoStick

WKR
Quick question, as you shorten a barrel, the rifle typically gets louder. Will a suppressor be less efficient with the shorter barrel? Or will the sound be the same regardless of barrel length? Thank you

Antares

WKR
The quietest combo is a long barrel and a long suppressor. Shorter barrels are louder than longer barrels, suppressed or not.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Quick question, as you shorten a barrel, the rifle typically gets louder. Will a suppressor be less efficient with the shorter barrel? Or will the sound be the same regardless of barrel length? Thank you
I have a 20" on my 300 WSM it's much louder than my buddies 24" WSM with an Ultra 7

The shorter the barrel the faster those gases hit the baffles.

Last edited:
  • Banned
OP
C

CoStick

WKR
I have a 20" on my 300 WSM it's much louder than my buddies 24" WSM with an Ultra 7

A shorter barrel equals more gas hitting those baffles.
Thank you, suppressing a .270 win, just trying to balance it out. Between 22-20” leaning towards an ultra 5.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
Thank you, suppressing a .270 win, just trying to balance it out. Between 22-20” leaning towards an ultra 5.
I have an ultra 5 on my 22" 6CM and it's very pleasant to shoot. A .270 might be right on the edge of hearing safe for a Ultra 5... Not sure, I would ask Thunder beast.

• Banned
OP
C

CoStick

WKR
I have an ultra 5 on my 22" 6CM and it's very pleasant to shoot. A .270 might be right on the edge of hearing safe for a Ultra 5... Not sure, I would ask Thunder beast.
Yes, thank you they said the 5 was made for my intended use. Since I am having a Fieldcraft done, they are threading /mounting the CB.

83cj-7

WKR
This might be stating the obvious but If you want quiet, go with a longer suppressor. If you want handy go with a shorter suppressor. I really don’t mind a longer rifle. I mainly hunt with 24” barrels and a 8” can. If I want something short, I have a 12.5” SBR with a suppressor.

• Banned
OP
C

CoStick

WKR
This might be stating the obvious but If you want quiet, go with a longer suppressor. If you want handy go with a shorter suppressor. I really don’t mind a longer rifle. I mainly hunt with 24” barrels and a 8” can. If I want something short, I have a 12.5” SBR with a suppressor.
Thank you, the goal is to be able to take a shot or two while hunting and be okay if I forget ear pro. Trying to balance ease of carry in the mountains as well. Appreciate all the insights, makes sense.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Thank you, the goal is to be able to take a shot or two while hunting and be okay if I forget ear pro. Trying to balance ease of carry in the mountains as well. Appreciate all the insights, makes sense.
I’d personally start with the do it all suppressor and then go for the more specialized ones down the road. The ultra 7 or Dominus would be my first choice for a first time suppressor. If you’re barrel is 20” you won’t be disappointed in a Dominus or ultra 7!

OP
C

CoStick

WKR
I’d personally start with the do it all suppressor and then go for the more specialized ones down the road. The ultra 7 or Dominus would be my first choice for a first time suppressor. If you’re barrel is 20” you won’t be disappointed in a Dominus or ultra 7!
Thank you, appreciate the help.

I'm a 26" barrel guy but just set my wife up with a 20" barrel and an Ultra 7.
To me it seems to handle like a regular rifle.

B23

WKR
TBAC has a new 30 cal can coming out that in testing so far is quieter than any other 30 cal can on the market so if you can wait a bit longer it may be worth looking in to.

It's called the Magnus.

Ucsdryder

WKR
TBAC has a new 30 cal can coming out that in testing so far is quieter than any other 30 cal can on the market so if you can wait a bit longer it may be worth looking in to.

It's called the Magnus.
Urgh!!!!

OP
C

CoStick

WKR

It's called the Magnus.
I was going to wait a bit I heard they had new ones coming out. Also hoping the e-forms will be moving efficiently.

B23

WKR
I hear ya. I'm waiting on three more stamps right now and honestly thought, ok this should do me and I'll be good on cans for many years to come. But then I find out those evil bastards at TBAC have been secretly developing a new 30 cal can that is crazy quiet and I instantly want one. lol

Ucsdryder

WKR
I hear ya. I'm waiting on three more stamps right now and honestly thought, ok this should do me and I'll be good on cans for many years to come. But then I find out those evil bastards at TBAC have been secretly developing a new 30 cal can that is crazy quiet and I instantly want one. lol

Just found it on YouTube. It’s a 9” can. Not for me.

541hunter

WKR
Probably more of a question for TBAC but what would be the perceived trade offs of a ultra 7 on a 20” 300 wsm vs a Ultra 5 and 22” wsm? Overall length should be right about the same but does the shorter/longer barrel offset the loss/gain in the effectiveness of the shorter/longer suppressor? What about speed?

ericwh

WKR
I think 18.5" + 8.25" suppressor is just a bit too much to carry in the forest. Both for overall length and balance. I'm working on a 5.5" suppressor and it feels great on the 18.5" tikka. Not sure how quiet it will be but I think I'll be happy.

ericwh

WKR
Probably more of a question for TBAC but what would be the perceived trade offs of a ultra 7 on a 20” 300 wsm vs a Ultra 5 and 22” wsm? Overall length should be right about the same but does the shorter/longer barrel offset the loss/gain in the effectiveness of the shorter/longer suppressor? What about speed?

I would expect the bigger suppressor/shorter barrel combo to be quieter. Velocity loss from shorter barrel will be as expected; whether the velocity loss matters depends on your desired effective range.

STAxel

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone have any real world experience on this question?