Short barreled rifle for my wife

benklein

FNG
So my wife loves deer hunting. I’m 6’4 she’s 5’3. She needs a rifle that’s hers that’s compact stock, fairly light, and shorter barreled as I’ll put a suppressor ton it for her. She’s shot deer with a 6mm Creed and a 243. She isn’t very sensitive to recoil yet and I don’t want her to be. Applications will be deer sized game: Nebraska mule/whitetail deer, antelope, coyotes, and target shooting.
What caliber is pretty efficient out of an 18” suppressed barrel? Thinking 257 Roberts, 25-06, 25 Creed, 6mm Creed, .243, 6.5creed, 6.5x47, 6.5 grendel. Somewhere along those lines.
What rifle platform? Not opposed to rebarreling something either.

Maybe an Howa mini action in 6.5 grendel? Need some help. Probably be the only rifle my wife ever wants if I get the right one! Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was in the same situation last year and went with the Ruger American Ranch in 7.62x39. It comes with a threaded 16ish inch barrel. Easy to find ammo and it shoots 3/4 MOA with handloads. She took her first deer this year with it!

UtahJimmy

WKR
I don’t quite get it.. but I don’t think she understands recoil? She’s shot my 7RM and 300WSM a fair amount and she never ever said anything about them kicking, or anything. Was a non factor for her. Yeah I’m just not sure.. maybe I’ll just build her a short LOP 6mm Creed with a 22” barrel and be done with it lol

Next time you take her to the range with either of those guns, tell her it's loaded when it's her shot but don't actually chamber a round. Make sure the firing pin is cocked though. That will tell you all you need to know about how she feels about recoil when she breaks the trigger.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
silasbowhunter
Next time you take her to the range with either of those guns, tell her it's loaded when it's her shot but don't actually chamber a round. Make sure the firing pin is cocked though. That will tell you all you need to know about how she feels about recoil when she breaks the trigger.

Well she shot a sub moa 5 shot group at 250 yards with my 300wsm.. off subject I know.

I want a soft shooter out of a 18” barrel because it’s getting a 8” suppressor regardless. Suppressors are here to stay!

UtahJimmy

WKR
Well she shot a sub moa 5 shot group at 250 yards with my 300wsm.. off subject I know.

I want a soft shooter out of a 18” barrel because it’s getting a 8” suppressor regardless. Suppressors are here to stay!

Was POI the same as you? A consistent flinch can still make for a decent group.

Either way, give it a try. It makes for a fun experiment.