Short Brace Height

How many guys have had issues with their string hitting arm clothing while hunting and switched back to a longer brace height bow?

I am torn betwixt the Spyder 34 and the Spyder Turbo. My draw is 29.5" and I will be running 70# with probably .300 spiners with 125 grain heads.

Maxhunter

WKR
I currently shoot a 2012 Hoyt Turbo. I don't have any issues due to my short draw of 26.5. You really shouldn't have a problem especially if your form is good. Recommend you shoot the Turbo with long sleeve shirt and see if there is any string contact. The main question is which one feels better when you shoot it. Also which one groups better for you.

RosinBag

Super Moderator
Staff member
If people are hitting thier arm, it is can usually be addressed with getting their bow hand into the proper grip. You can also put string stoppers on the bow to help with this if needed.

c5mrr270

WKR
Shouldn't be a problem with proper form, especially since it has a string stop. Unless you're wearing ridiculously puffy clothing.

Gus

FNG
I just got my Spyder Turbo a few weeks ago and have not had any issues. I have the alpha burner as well and have shot it for 4 yrs (if my memory is correct). I have never had an issue of it hitting my arm either.

I don't see how draw length affects the brace height length (brace height is the same length no matter how long/short your draw is) however just in case it matters, 29 inch draw, 80 lbs.

Lawnboi

WKR
I don't see how draw length affects the brace height length (brace height is the same length no matter how long/short your draw is) however just in case it matters, 29 inch draw, 80 lbs.

Short Brace height bows allow the arrow to stay on the string longer, and as your draw length goes up, the time your arrow is on the string goes up, essentially making any mistake you make, have bigger concequences. For instance, if i were to shoot my 6in BH bow at 26.5 in(my dl), and you were to shoot that same 6in BH bow at your 29", your arrow is going to be on your string for a longer amount of time.

I shoot a VT as well. I like it, havnt noticed much difference with the brace height other than I have to be a little more careful when shooting with larger jackets on. I need all the speed i can get though with my stumpy arms, thats the reason I went with the VT. Lots of guys with longer draws shoot bows with short brace heights no problem, i guess the only way to find out if it works for you is to try. I sure wouldnt hesitate to buy that new spyder turbo!!!

J-Daddy

WKR
The main thing with short brace height bows is to make sure you have your draw length right...To long of a draw length will bite you every time with a short brace height bow...With that being said, I've owned a lot of bows with a brace less than 7"...PSE Omen Pro, PSE EVO, Athens Afflixtion, Hoyt Katera, Strother SX1, and right now I'm shooting a Hoyt Vector Turbo...Never had issues with the short brace heights. If I'm wearing a really bulky coat I will wear an arm guard over the sleeve though.

OP
Brandon Pattison
Short Brace height bows allow the arrow to stay on the string longer, and as your draw length goes up, the time your arrow is on the string goes up, essentially making any mistake you make, have bigger concequences. For instance, if i were to shoot my 6in BH bow at 26.5 in(my dl), and you were to shoot that same 6in BH bow at your 29", your arrow is going to be on your string for a longer amount of time.

I shoot a VT as well. I like it, havnt noticed much difference with the brace height other than I have to be a little more careful when shooting with larger jackets on. I need all the speed i can get though with my stumpy arms, thats the reason I went with the VT. Lots of guys with longer draws shoot bows with short brace heights no problem, i guess the only way to find out if it works for you is to try. I sure wouldnt hesitate to buy that new spyder turbo!!!

What he said! I might have given a bit too much information but basically, if you look at it as a ratio, guys with 26" dl and 6" bh might be comparable to a 29" dl and 7" bh might be equal.

jmez

WKR
Short brace height bows torque easier for longer draw guys due to very acute string angles. It doesn't have anything to do with how long the arrow is on the string. Too long a draw length is the main reason for a string hitting your arm.

Lawnboi

WKR
Short brace height bows torque easier for longer draw guys due to very acute string angles. It doesn't have anything to do with how long the arrow is on the string. Too long a draw length is the main reason for a string hitting your arm.

Are you mixing up axel to axel with brace height? You cannot argue that the amount of time the arrow is on the string or 'powerstroke' is greater on a shorter bh bow...

jmez

WKR
No, not mixing it up at all. It is a very common misconception that time on the string is a big deal. It isn't. Short brace height bows are only less forgiving to longer draw archers, not short draw guys. It is a function of shooter induced torque and string angle. Maybe Darin Cooper will explain it if he sees this.

Lawnboi

WKR
No, not mixing it up at all. It is a very common misconception that time on the string is a big deal. It isn't. Short brace height bows are only less forgiving to longer draw archers, not short draw guys. It is a function of shooter induced torque and string angle. Maybe Darin Cooper will explain it if he sees this.

Im not trying to tell you that you were wrong, im no expert in archery! Hopefully theres somebody that will be able to explain it better because I am curious now

I have been shooting 6" brace height bows since 2008 when Hoyt released the Katera!! I personally haven't EVER had issues shooting them BUT I shoot between 500-1000 arrows a week and am diligent with my form as well as shooting year round I believe that that truly helps with a 6" brace height bow. The other thing that I believe helps is that I remove my grips which gains me about 1/8" but shooting the thinner less torque grip settles things down and holds and shoots better. Especially on the Vector Turbo I just couldn't shoot that bow consistently with the 180 grip but as soon as I took it off everything settled down and started shooting.

Lawnboi

WKR
Especially on the Vector Turbo I just couldn't shoot that bow consistently with the 180 grip but as soon as I took it off everything settled down and started shooting.

Thats the first thing that I do with every Hoyt bow, take the grip off right away and wrap the riser in atheletic tape. Helped me quite a bit.

Lawnboi,

I have been doing the same thing since 2008 and it really helps the consistency bow to bow when I am building a new rig and playing with rest/bow/set-up things.

J-Daddy

WKR
Thats the first thing that I do with every Hoyt bow, take the grip off right away and wrap the riser in atheletic tape. Helped me quite a bit.

Same here, first thing I do on a Hoyt is pull the grip off and throw it in a drawer somewhere....Love their bows, hate their grips.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman