short draw arrow for elk

pointer26

Lil-Rokslider
I am in need of your help in finding an arrow for elk.
DL 25 1/2" DW 60lbs, Bow is a 2015 Hoyt Nitrum turbo. I am shooting a Gold Tip xt hunter 400 cut to 26" with a 100 grain tip.
If I fallow the gold tip chart my current arrow should weight 383 grains. I put the arrow on a scale rated for 4lbs and it weighed 354 grains? I would like to keep on shooting the xt hunter arrows. I seem to shoot them well.
I was thinking of shooting xt hunter cut to 27" and a 125 grain head for a total of 391 grains.
Any feed back it greatly appreciated.
I am running out of money and want to do this once.
Thank you
P

Are you convinced about using the XT Hunter? I shoot an Easton Axis 400 (9 gpi) at 26" which gives me around 405gr including a 100gr broadhead.

You can also use gold tips FACT weight system and keep your 100 grain heads, saving money.

I shot a 25.75" 340 Pro Hunter with a 50 grain weight and 100 grain head. 425 grains and a high FOC.

You could very easily cut down your current arrows and stick a 50grn weight in them and be just fine spine wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are you convinced about using the XT Hunter? I shoot an Easton Axis 400 (9 gpi) at 26" which gives me around 405gr including a 100gr broadhead.

Thank you, I like the idea of the Easton Axis 400. the gold tips are only 8.2

You can also use gold tips FACT weight system and keep your 100 grain heads, saving money.

I shot a 25.75" 340 Pro Hunter with a 50 grain weight and 100 grain head. 425 grains and a high FOC.

You could very easily cut down your current arrows and stick a 50grn weight in them and be just fine spine wise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would like to use a longer arrow to keep the broad head away from my hand. I plan on using qua exodus broad head. Do you think I should use a 26" arrow in a 400 or 340 spine. Thank you for your help.

I would like to use a longer arrow to keep the broad head away from my hand. I plan on using qua exodus broad head. Do you think I should use a 26" arrow in a 400 or 340 spine. Thank you for your help.

You could do a 400 yet there is nothing wrong with shooting a stiffer spine as, in my experience, they shoot broadheads a lot better.

Gold Tip Kinetics are 9.5 gpi and they aren't too expensive IMO. I'm a 27" DL shooting 26.25" long shafts weighting in at 410 grns with a 100 grn head. About 12% FOC. I really like the accu-tough inserts that come with these arrows.

Thank you all for your help. I think I will run 340 arrow with a brass insert. Thanks again.

Back