Short draw length arrow build

hetter12

FNG
Just starting to build my own arrows and I am looking for advice on fletching choice and 3 or 4 vane set ups.
I am shooting a Mathews TX-5 with a 26 in draw length at 60lbs.
I am looking to maximize accuracy and dropping power but with my short draw length I feel like I have little wiggle room.
right now I am shooting bloodsport evidence arrows with 4 right helical AAE hybrid 26 vanes. Arrow weight is 422 average speed 250. Accuracy is amazing but I am a little bummed about the speeds. Prior to this arrow build I was shooting cheap sportsman arrows with 3 blazer vanes at 275 but the accuracy was not there.
Any advice on fletching type and arrangement would be appreciated. I plan on setting up a bunch of different arrangements and playing with it but I figured I could save a little time and money with some direction from someone else.

OR Archer

WKR
If you’re arrows/bow you’re currently shooting are accurate I wouldn’t throw that away to chase a little more speed. You’d have to sacrifice a good bit of arrow weight to really gain speed. That also make your bow louder and decrease penetration. Two things I wouldn’t sacrifice in a hunting set up.

wayoh22

WKR
If you’re arrows/bow you’re currently shooting are accurate I wouldn’t throw that away to chase a little more speed. You’d have to sacrifice a good bit of arrow weight to really gain speed. That also make your bow louder and decrease penetration. Two things I wouldn’t sacrifice in a hunting set up.
Couldn't agree more with this. Don't sacrifice quietness and penetration for speed. Play your environment right and all will come together.

Dave3c

FNG
I have a 27.5 inch draw so I kind of know what you are experiencing. What is your FOC? I am not a big Blazer fan due to the noise created. AAE are good vanes but they are on the heavier side. There are other vanes that are lighter. I personally like Vanetec swifts. Currently running 2.8. TACvanes are another new vane developed by Levi Morgan. Haven’t tried them yet. If you like the AAEs, I would recommend trying a three fletch to see how they group. The four will give you great accuracy. As you increase the number of vanes you increase induced drag on the arrow. If you aren’t shooting past 40 yards you might be fine however past there (based on bow speed) there will be a noticeable drop. Another factor selecting number of vanes is your broadhead. A smaller broadhead or expandable doesn’t normally need as much spin to stabilize and steer as a larger broadhead does. If you can afford it get some different vanes and fletch up different setups. Shoot these in the off-season with the broadhead you are planning on hunting with. Base your selection on your hunting setup and not your field point target setup. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I shoot a TX5 too. My DL is only 25in and I shoot Easton Axis 400 Spine with 50gr of brass up top, 100gr tip, and 4 aae 2.3 max sealth vanes. The total arrow weight is 410gr and I'm pulling 67lbs and am getting speeds of 270. I've had no issues but it defiantly places a bigger importance on shot placement. I agree with a past post that accuracy is more important than speed. It's just all about trying to find that equilibrium point in your mind, but I think you're probably just fine. If anything focus on building up your strength to pull more weight. That'll increase your speed quite a bit.

jtmarchi

FNG
I am also one with a short draw, also shooting the T-reX-5, wondering what the OP decided to run with for an arrow set up.

OP
H

hetter12

FNG
I am also one with a short draw, also shooting the T-reX-5, wondering what the OP decided to run with for an arrow set up.
I have been liking the vap TKO gamer micro. Bloodsport evidence is no longer sold In my area or I probably would have stuck with that brand. I went with the 350 spine cut at 26”. 4 fletch right helical with the AAE max stealth. 100 grain tip. At 26” draw and 60lbs I have been shooting a speed of 269 and very accurate. Been pretty happy with that set up.

OP
H

hetter12

FNG
Appreciate your response. Learning it’s Easy to get caught up in numbers and waste a lot money in archery for little to no gain.

Catahoula

WKR
My spouse shoots a Mathews SDX with a 26” DL. Arrows are Easton FMJ with Blazer (3) vanes. Her arrows average around 424g and have an average speed around 222fps. Her draw weight is around 44lbs. So if you are getting accurate results don’t chase anymore speed IMO.

NY12020

FNG
Totally agree is well; for a hunting arrow out of a shorter draw bow i would want the mass weight for better penetration. Would also look into a cut on contact broadhead if you are not already using one. Avoid the big mechanical heads; a lot of energy is lost upon impact.