Short hunt strategy

Teaman1

WKR
I’m going on a one week trip to Colorado for a short elk hunt. 1 day driving there, 5 to hunt, and 1 day to drive home. It’s an OTC unit that I haven’t hunted before and will most likely be heavy pressured. I can’t decide if I should pack in or just “Newberg” it and walk in each morning in different areas until I find elk sign.

cardiac5

Lil-Rokslider
If you spot them and know they are there then pack in if not walk into different areas. We did a 10.7 mile loop one day last week and all the sign was in an a 200yd stretch the last 3/4 mile from the truck. Everyone was going the opposite way and never thought about this little area back in the deadfall.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
For me it doesnt matter how long the trip is. Every time im finding myself tempted to hike in and setup camp far from the truck I have to ask myself if its where i want the elk to be or is it where they are. In other words, dont setup spike camp without a good reason.

Randys approach is sound. Pick 3-5 spots that look good to a human on a computer and dont overcommit. If a spot holds elk, hunt it. Dont do the opposite either where you leave elk or walk past elk to find other elk.

Pack in, but be mobile.
Plan on breaking camp every day, and moving to plan b, c or d until you find where the elk are hanging.

Austink47

WKR
I personally would stay mobile until I found elk. I get frustrated on a short hunt or a unit I don’t know if I am packed in and am not finding anything. But you should get the experience you want if you want to backpack hunt for 5 days give it hell and enjoy.

UtahJimmy

WKR
You use "I" a number of times so I'm going to assume you're solo. If that's indeed the case, I wouldn't pack in. If you down an elk, your going to need to account for the time involved to get it out. Given you have 5 days to "hunt" you'll want to stay relatively close to the truck.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last year, in a new unit on a leftover tag I hunted plan a, c, d, e held no elk sights or sign. Plan b and f both held elk. Packing into most of the places would have been a waste.

One-shot

Lil-Rokslider
I had one place I wanted to pack to, but that’s my biggest worry is to waste most of my time in a spot with no elk
Before you leave for the hunt contact CO Fish and Game. Talk to the biologist for the area you’re planning to hunt and ask where herd movement has been. We’ve found the biologists to ALWAYS be super helpful and spot on ‘cause they are out in the field not just more than we are but their job is to monitor herds and habitat.