Short scouting trip

Teaman1

WKR
Taking a short trip the 3rd weekend in July to explore a little and hopefully see some wildlife. I’ve hunted the unit before and this is about the only time that works as the wife is due late August.
Can a trip that early tell me anything about where elk or mule deer could be mid-October? What would you guys be looking for if that was the only time you could go scout?

400orBust

FNG
I think you can learn alot. Go high as that is where they will most likely be in August. Seeing animals scouting even that early tells you something. Mark water sources, if it is dry and warm when the season starts you will already know where to go.

Some of your answer may depend on where you are. For me, it would be a waste of time if the goal is to find deer and hope they will still be there in October. They will have moved where I hunt. You may be able to gain other knowledge though like terrain and access.

You said you hunted the unit before. Was it in October? If so I would be looking for good hiding holes and such in the areas you saw deer last time.

OP
Teaman1

Teaman1

WKR
Yes, it was October when I last hunted it and I ended up taking a raghorn (elk) that I was plenty happy with.
I just started reading Robby Denning’s book, trying to finish before the trip to see if it’ll have anything that’ll help me out haha. I have a bull elk and a deer tag

Some of your answer may depend on where you are. For me, it would be a waste of time if the goal is to find deer and hope they will still be there in October. They will have moved where I hunt. You may be able to gain other knowledge though like terrain and access.

You said you hunted the unit before. Was it in October? If so I would be looking for good hiding holes and such in the areas you saw deer last time.
This is the elk forum, though I'm betting the answer is about the same for elk.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
I think you can learn alot. Go high as that is where they will most likely be in August. Seeing animals scouting even that early tells you something. Mark water sources, if it is dry and warm when the season starts you will already know where to go.
+1
a.jpg