Short window Missouri hunts

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Last 4 years I’ve been able to go hunt in Missouri for whitetail. I’ve connected on 4 doe all inside 40 yards. Both from the ground and my saddle.

This year I really want a legal buck (4 points or better on one side is legal in this county). Last year I did a lot more scouting than ever before. I found buck bedding on public just behind the family farm. Last year I jumped two off their bed going into this area. Had a few giants on camera feeding under some white oaks less than 50 yards from the bedding.

I’m going back next week for the whole week. Should I start fresh and scout all over? Head straight to that bedding area and hunt the wind for that spot? Look for and hunt over fresh scrapes?

My uncle just connected on his farm with a nice 8 point on a food plot. Should I sit that plot or try to get in bed with these bucks? Feeling a bit anxious but trying not to put pressure on myself and just enjoy the opportunity.

Trust your scouting for a hunt or two. In central southern MO, they are on acorns right now. And Sun and Mon scrapes have been opening up.
With a solid week of hunting, something good should happen.

OP
Clarson757

Clarson757

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Trust your scouting for a hunt or two. In central southern MO, they are on acorns right now. And Sun and Mon scrapes have been opening up.
With a solid week of hunting, something good should happen.

That’s what my general strategy was. Get close to the bedding area, check the oaks, look for fresh scrapes and figure out a setup.

Starting with still hunting my way into the area I want to get to. There is one spot I want to try some aggressive rattle sequences early based on the wind. See if anyone is home.