Shorten a barrel to help with hot barrel accuracy?

JBradley500

Lil-Rokslider
I have a 308 B14 Hunter, which I love. A fairly light barrel. It's 22" and is supposed to be a woods hunting rifle and some times a shorter range plinker with 300 yards usually the max due to the scope on it being set up for MPBR and no reliable turrets. One issue is after 4 shots or so the barrel gets warm and loses accuracy until it gets 5 minutes between shots to cool.

Anyway, back to my question. I love hunting with short barrels anyway. 16" is nice in the thick stuff, which made me wonder if I shortened this barrel to 16" do you think it would help the hot barrel issue at the same time? I'd seriously think about having it cut and crowned if there was a decent chance it would.

Tmac

WKR
I’d check the bedding for barrel contact first. If it’s the bedding, that will need correction to fix your issue, regardless of barrel work. Last one I had with that issue had a tight spot under the barrel 6” inches in front of the lug.

Salmon River Solutions

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I normally don’t shoot any more than 3 between letting the barrel cool. My 22” barrel For the same rifle but in 6.5 creed does the same thing after 5 shots.