Shorten old Kifaru Duplex Belt

Hugin

FNG
Hi,
i have a Kifaru MMR (gen 1) which I reallly like, the only downsight is that the pre-owner seemingly was "midly obese", so the belt is 97cm wide.
I used self-designed front pulls that hook into the MOLLE Webbing but thats not ideal and since I lost some weight the wing-tips are almost touching now.

Finding a "normal sized" olive green belt is seemingly absolutely impossible so I am afraid I have to literally shorten it.
Did anyone here ever did that and how "well" did it go?

Thanks a lot!

I'm pretty sure the first gen MMR was made as your standard Kifaru bag, meaning you needed a frame to mount it to. Which frame do you have? You should be able to grab a used belt in your correct size here in the classifieds and just swap it out. Post up a pick and we can let you know what you got it you are not entirely sure.

OP
H

Hugin

FNG
What do you mean?
Its a standard duplex-framed pack. Sorry if I didnt make that clear :D

Are there any length-charts for the belts? It does not even have any size-marking :/

robcollins

Lil-Rokslider
Measuring a medium Duplex belt (old style, OD, with 2 delta straps on each side) laid flat, from tip to tip, it measures 32.5" (82.55cm).

You very clearly have 3 sections: left wing, right wing, and the center section that interfaces with the frame. I come up with 9.5" (24.1cm) for the center section; that dimension can't change.

For a medium, the wings are 11.5" (29.2cm), your belt, 14.5" (36.8cm).

In the pictures I'm sharing, I feel the strategy I'd take is:
1. Undo the horizontal stitches on the wings
2. Undo the stitches on the 2" webbing
3. Remove the padding, shorten the tip of the padding.....

STOP... Epiphany.... Ignore the above... Simpler idea...

1. Undo the stitches on the 2" webbing
2. Open up the stitches connecting the black inner material to the outer 1000D exposing the inner padding.
3. Shorten the padding.
4. This part is the hack part, because originally, the black inner and the 1000D were stitched together inside out. If you're really good and able to take the whole thing apart, (like above) turn it inside out, shorten it, reassemble it. Otherwise, just stitch it up without the disassembly.
5. Stitch the 2" webbing back on. I'm not talented, as should be evident from this whole 2nd method proposal. At this point, I'd bust out the Speedy Stitcher with kevlar thread and lock stitch going clear through the padding...

Here's pics. This Duplex belt is one I modified and added velcro, so, I swap it to my Scout, Marauder, MollEx, Late Season, etc...

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

OP
H

Hugin

FNG
Sorry for the late replay, I was quite busy :/
Yes, mine are 14.5in wings, you are right. Is that an L or even larger?

I dont really understand how they put the whole Belt together, inside out of course, but I still dont understand how the sandwiched the black fabric between 2 layers of 1000d without having any sewinglines on the inside. So the seemingly had it inside out multiple times. Whatever.
Also the wings are thinning out from the middle to the ends.

The padding definitely has to be taken out before sewing the 2in straps back on, otherwise the sewing would cause hotspots I am afraid.
I think it might not even be neccessary to shorten the pads. It should not be a huge issue when the wings are almost touching, if they are not overlapping (wich they dont).

So I think I will remove the 2in stitching and move it backwards 2in on each side. Then it should be possible to pull the belt tight and I dont change the original form.

And meanwhile I will have a look for an olive duplex belt with delta-straps.