Shortest Archery Shot

D

david long

OK guys, they did a "longest" shot over in the rifle forum, how about we do a "shortest" shot in the archery forum.

I will start it off with a buck I took in Colorado at 7 yards:

7yards.jpg

Jim Carr

Super Moderator
Staff member
Nice buck,was it from this year.You got me beat by 26 yards, my shortest was 33 on a small bull.When I get inside 30 my nerves go way up and all i can think about is blowing the stalk.

Juan_ID

WKR
Classified Approved
My closest shot at an animal was 28 yards when I was 15... Resulted in a miss on a good muley buck, encounters like that build character! ;)

DSC_1235.jpg

9 yards

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
About 3 feet on a list B cow tag...I shot her out of self defense!

When my partner dropped flat on his stomach and turned whit, I knew she was close, but when she came around the bushes I think she stepped between his legs!

I thought my buddy was gonna kick me in the junk for taking the shot...she almost ran him over!

bohntr

WKR
3 feet....javelina with my longbow......seemed like the tip of the arrow was going to cut him before I drew. Arrowed a 400 pound bear (spot-n-stalk) at 5 yards facing towards me.....that got a bit western real quick. Closest deer was a Blacktail at about 8 yards.

OP
D

david long

Jim - That buck was killed in 2007 in Colorado.

Aron - It was wild, he was bedded in the thick willows and all I could see was his antler tips until he stood up! Pretty wild being that close to a buck like that.

bohntr - 5 yards from a bear, that had to be extremely exciting!

Shortest shot for me was a whitetail doe right under the stand. Of the ground would be probably about 5 yards. One time had a black bear sniff the edge of my blind, yes I was in it :)
I had this buck 15 yards bedded in a certain slough for 6 hours before he stood for a shot. Came by at 12 yards and I missed!!!! He stopped at 30 and here's the outcome. I guess I will have to post a picture later, can't do it from my phone

ckleeves

WKR
I have killed 2 muley bucks inside of 5 yards, The first when I was 16 or 17 I was stalking another buck and a small 3x4 came trotting down the trail I was crawling on and got to about 4 yards, stopped and looked back over his shoulder for a minute and then turned broadside to walk down the hill. I had drawn as soon as he looked over his shoulder and the moment he turned broadside I sent one thru him he made it about 20 yds down the hill and piled up. The other was 2 years ago on a timberline buck my buddy was stalking a group of bucks and I was behind the spotter giving him hand signals he was about 100 yds from the group of bucks when a forky that we hadn't seen winded him and busted the other bucks. They didn't really know what had made the forky blow outta there, so they just ran about 100 yds and then started walking straight toward me! I watched them walk toward me thinking the whole time there is no way they are gonna come within range but the smallest of the group, a little 22" 4x4 walked around the boulder i was hiding behind and i had drawn when he was about 20 yds in front of the boulder and as soon as his vitals cleared the rock I shot. distance on him was honestly 8-10 feet!

MJ from Oregon

Lil-Rokslider
Black Bear at 4 feet. He was a little turd but he kept mock charging me. I did not want to deal with a bear this day but he left me no option. When I bounced a stick off him at 20 feet and he kept coming I knew he was going to meet God.

keep

Lil-Rokslider
I've shot 2 wt doe at 4 yds, one from a ground blind and one from a knee in the open, go figure I can only assume she was blind in her left eye.
Shot a bear at 11 and my mt lion at 4-5.

vcb

WKR
David,

Love the thread. Rifle guys just dont get it. Anyway for me it was probably this last December I was hunting CO for mule deer and we spotted a mature 4x5 bedded all by himself. He looked tired from the rut and had a look on his face like "just leave me alone...im tired" He was in a great spot to stalk. Hiked behind him about a mile to get the wind right and then came in above him to 100yds. Then belly crawled to 20yds...Where I sat for 2hrs until he FINALLY stood up. 20yds wasent that close but it was amazing to be that close to him for 2 hrs and watch his every move!! What a rush!

2 yards on a big ol' Tom, could've lopped his head off with a machete when him and 4 others walked by the blind to get to the dekes. My 8 yr. old turkey hunting buddy, Tommy, jelly-headed him with his youth 20 Ga. 3 Toms and 2 jakes came in and were all within 10 feet of the blind. Awesome memory!!