Shoshone National Forest, Wyoming.

grfox92

WKR
I hunted Shoshone, for Muleys in 2009. It was my only time out west (I'm from NY). Everyone I know who has hunted out there has shot good Muleys. I saw plenty of deer just no shooters.

It doesn't seem like a lot of guys are interested in hunting there. Even searching on this forum, there is minimal discussion the place. It's a massive tract of land that I thought would have way more appeal?

I am planning on going back in 2018 and am just curious if there is something I am missing about the area....as if it's terrible as of recent years? Has anyone or does anyone currently hunt there?

Thanks

Gary

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

wyosteve

WKR
A lot of it is either wilderness or private land surrounding it, so access can be difficult.

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
A lot of it is either wilderness or private land surrounding it, so access can be difficult.
Could you elaborate on that? We hunted around different "sections" of the park from different trail heads every day for seven days. There were parking areas with clear access. Elk Fork and Blackwater were 2 specific names I remember.

If you go much more than a couple miles from a trailhead your likely in a wilderness area. This requires an out of state to have a guide or a resident hunter with a resident guide license. The game warden there will bust your ass hard for hunting in wilderness.

Look at a map to see what is and what is not wilderness around there. There is hunting to be had for sure but its limited

OP
grfox92

grfox92

WKR
If you go much more than a couple miles from a trailhead your likely in a wilderness area. This requires an out of state to have a guide or a resident hunter with a resident guide license. The game warden there will bust your ass hard for hunting in wilderness.

Look at a map to see what is and what is not wilderness around there. There is hunting to be had for sure but its limited
Got it, now I understand.