Shot a bareshaft at 40 yards...what does this mean?

Beendare

WKR
Its funny, Brendon and I use totally different techniques...but we get to the same place. His might be the better strategy.....its just that I've shot paper for so long its just easier for me...as once I have a bullet hole through paper....its never more than about 1/16" [usually 1/32"] in any direction from perfect tune with BH's and FP's hitting the same POA.

I don't know how the mech head guys determine spine inconsistency.....I know I shoot every BH tipped arrow to check it....then touch up and in my quiver. Its just not worth leaving it to chance for me....you never know when you will have a great animal in front of you.....

Brendan

WKR
I think the biggest reason I started just bare shaft and not paper tuning - I'm too lazy to take out and assemble my paper tuning rack and then put it away when I'm done :D And, the longest distance I can shoot at home is 7 yards in my basement with a low ceiling and a hell of a lot of crap everywhere... Easy to just pick up the bow and two arrows and then that just carries over to how I tune at the range I guess...

Regarding how I test arrows with mech heads: I spine test, spin test, bare shaft, index nocks of every arrow using field points. I put all my mech heads on and spin test those. I examine and weigh every head looking for flaws. I might buy two packages of three and one becomes a practice head - the other 5 are never shot until it's through an animal. Same goes for some fixed blade heads when I'm shooting those. I usually confirm my bare shaft tune against broadheads using a variety of fixed blades I use for testing regardless of whether I'll be shooting mech heads, and then final confirmation is with my mechanical practice heads.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I don't know how the mech head guys determine spine inconsistency.....

You can still shoot fixed heads on all your arrows even if you shoot mechanicals for hunting. But regardless of what you have on the end of the arrow, if the spine is that different than the rest of the arrows it's probably going to show up in your shooting accuracy and consistency with that arrow, so if you can't fix it.........it doesn't go in the quiver.

Beendare

WKR
Regarding how I test arrows with mech heads: I spine test, spin test, bare shaft, index nocks of every arrow using field points. I put all my mech heads on and spin test those. I examine and weigh every head looking for flaws. I might buy two packages of three and one becomes a practice head - the other 5 are never shot until it's through an animal. ......

Yeah, that works....you eliminate all of the variables that can screw you up.

I just shoot mine.
Its easy to get those heads sharper than the way they came.....and since I'm going to sharpen them anyway...I shoot em first. Any problems show up on long range shots.