Shot Distance?

Jasonassel

Lil-Rokslider
What is your max distance on a relaxed animal who is unaware of your presence?

jolemons

WKR
Depends on wind and kill zone size. Elk with no wind, probably 85 yards. Antelope with typical prairie winds, probably 45 yards.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bl704

WKR
What is your max distance on a relaxed animal who is unaware of your presence?
The question reminds me of questions like 'how much $ does so and so make?'... What difference does it make, for you, if my max distance is 10yds or 100 (or 1000 with a rifle)?

Shoot the distance you feel is comfortable, consistent, and ethical...for you.

If you want to extend your range, it's a different question...

Too much coffee and work BS today to truly respond.

Hoot

WKR
Lots of people talk about max range, and I think it lends itself to getting just inside one's "maximum range" and leads to a lot of misses. I practice regularly at all kinds of distances, but I started thinking of my hunting as "what is my ideal range."

45 yards is my goal in spot and stalk bow hunting. I feel like this is the perfect range to be able to make an accurate rushed shot if needed, I can consistently hit a 2" target at that distance when calm and not rushed, it is far enough away that you can remain unseen/unheard in a lot of cases, the animal is less likely to smell you at that distance.

I think on deer I am 25, 32, 39 yards and antelope I am 30 and 43 yards since switching my mentality a couple years ago. I did miss a buck at 60 yards last year after I got to 45 yards and a coyote blew up the whole thing and he came back in to 60, I should have been more patient...

i hope i don't offend anyone, but i'll be blunt with my answer.... i think having a max range is dumb....

i used to claim 40yds was my range on healthy critters, then i thought "41yds is a no go in the moment?" not on the internet, but in the woods, just me and the critter, everything is perfect and here is a big bull feeding slightly quartering away, at 41yds... would i really not shoot because of 1 yard? i don't buy it (that goes for everyone)

if you are willing to shoot 41, over your self imposed "limit" then what keeps you from shooting 45yds? it's only 4 more.... if you'll shoot 45yds, why not 50? etc....

i think self imposed limits are for the internet, or telling others.... almost a high horse deal in my eyes.... i don't think those limits really apply in real life.

why is it so hard to make a decision based on the scenario in front of you? we know how we are feeling at that moment, we know the range, and we know our ability.... make your decision then, rather than sitting on the couch 4 months before the season even starts just so you can tell someone how far you'll shoot at a critter to show how ethical you are, or how good of a shot and badass you are :cool:

that's my max distance. ask me in October what my maximum distance was, i'll have an honest answer for you, but it will be subject to change next time i take my bow into the woods.

Jbehredt

WKR
i hope i don't offend anyone, but i'll be blunt with my answer.... i think having a max range is dumb....

i used to claim 40yds was my range on healthy critters, then i thought "41yds is a no go in the moment?" not on the internet, but in the woods, just me and the critter, everything is perfect and here is a big bull feeding slightly quartering away, at 41yds... would i really not shoot because of 1 yard? i don't buy it (that goes for everyone)

if you are willing to shoot 41, over your self imposed "limit" then what keeps you from shooting 45yds? it's only 4 more.... if you'll shoot 45yds, why not 50? etc....

i think self imposed limits are for the internet, or telling others.... almost a high horse deal in my eyes.... i don't think those limits really apply in real life.

why is it so hard to make a decision based on the scenario in front of you? we know how we are feeling at that moment, we know the range, and we know our ability.... make your decision then, rather than sitting on the couch 4 months before the season even starts just so you can tell someone how far you'll shoot at a critter to show how ethical you are, or how good of a shot and badass you are :cool:

that's my max distance. ask me in October what my maximum distance was, i'll have an honest answer for you, but it will be subject to change next time i take my bow into the woods.

A few years back I passed on a nice 6x6 bull slightly quartering away at 53 yards. Was an intense moment. First bull I’ve ever seen pee on his own face. Had him FIRED UP. 50 was my max. I’ve since stretched it to 60 on a calm elk with no wind. Too much going on in the heat of the moment to make a snap decision about my effective range. 60 means 60 for me. Not 61. With my rifle it’s 400 for elk, 300 for deer and bear. Not 401 and 301. For the reasons you stated, funny things happen with gap shooting and holdovers at longer ranges.

I know a guy who last year passed on an elk at 72. He said his max was 70. I would have taken it.

Max range is where you feel comfortable. But make sure it's within a range you have put a broadhead exactly where you wanted it with no warm up. Scenarios dictate the max range. I wouldn't take a frontal shot on an elk past 25 yards, I think. Broadside probably 75ish. Wind, rain, and animal temperament come into play with Max yardage.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
My max is different for every situation. The situation dictates when and how far I shoot. Objectively, I would have to say that 80 is my max because that's the furthest I have pins for. But in reality, I rarely get to see an elk that far in the timber where I hunt. I have passed on 80 yard shots in the past, and two years ago I passed a 40 yard shot on a big bull. But several years ago I shot a small bull from 71 yards hard quartering away. Everything comes into play as well as "the moment" and the circumstances of the situation. I'd pass a 10 yard shot if I didn't like it.

Ac338

WKR
I don't have a max yardage I've found myself in situations where I didn't think I could make a clean 20 yard shot so I didn't take it. At the same time I've had deer a 50 and was comfortable with the shot. Not all shots are equal there's a lot more to it then just yardage in my opinion. Terrain, vegetation, angles weather and animal alertness could all affect my comfort level for that particular shot.

My max is different for every situation. The situation dictates when and how far I shoot. Objectively, I would have to say that 80 is my max because that's the furthest I have pins for. But in reality, I rarely get to see an elk that far in the timber where I hunt. I have passed on 80 yard shots in the past, and two years ago I passed a 40 yard shot on a big bull. But several years ago I shot a small bull from 71 yards hard quartering away. Everything comes into play as well as "the moment" and the circumstances of the situation. I'd pass a 10 yard shot if I didn't like it.
You get it (of course I already knew you did) every situation has a different dynamic... no 2 can ever be the same, and we cannot play every scenario In our head without having it.

if I go into season shooting really good and confident, that will come into play vs a year I wasn’t able to shoot as much as I needed and not as confident in my ability (all things relative) you cannot have the same “max distance” in those 2 scenarios, and if you do, you aren’t being real with yourself.

I could say 40 is my limit and pass several shots between 41-45, but that doesn’t mean I’ll stick to my self imposed limit one of those times because I know it’s a slam dunk in that moment.

in 17’ I passed a big bull at 41yds (with my 40yd self proclaimed distance) I had a clear path, but had my limit been 100yds, I still wouldn’t have shot... it wasn’t the one extra yard that made me let my bow down, it was the particular scenario (super steep quartered away and he just paused when I mewed at him... tough angle and rushed.

I ended up shooting him a few days later inside 10yds, and he was my best bull. Had the scenario been different, I know myself well enough to know that a single yard wouldn’t have been the deal breaker

Beendare

WKR
I like 5 miles answer...it depends.

I would add I never like shooting at an aware animal....I think the whole grunting or whatever call to stop them is mostly a bad idea and asking for a poor shot location due to animal movement.

I will shoot a walking animal over stopping them and putting them on notice any day....assuming its a good shot.

FWIW, I've never had a walking animal move significantly to dodge an arrow....but I have had animals I stopped jump the string.

_

I like 5 miles answer...it depends.

I would add I never like shooting at an aware animal....I think the whole grunting or whatever call to stop them is mostly a bad idea and asking for a poor shot location due to animal movement.

I will shoot a walking animal over stopping them and putting them on notice any day....assuming its a good shot.

FWIW, I've never had a walking animal move significantly to dodge an arrow....but I have had animals I stopped jump the string.

_

I had the same thinking as you. Shot at the biggest buck be ever seen at 40 yds while he was slowly walking unaware I was there. He jumped the string and I missed by a hair right over his back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bmoore

Lil-Rokslider

I have the exact opposite thought. An imposed limit is based on your realistic abilities in practice session when your nerves are calm and the variables are all controlled. If I know I can make a clean shot at 40 but by the time I get to 50 I start to have flyers, I know 40 is my max range. Not taking a shot a 41 is a disciplined action. A hunting scenario makes the variables all far worse than practice so limiting yourself based on experience is important to making a clean shot. As the nerves increase and the wind picks up and any other variables that change you can decrease that effective range. But never increase it. If my practice tells me I can make 40 but not 50 and set 40 as my max, then by allowing my greed for the killl to kick in because 44 is only 4 more yards than 40, I’m only increasing the chance that I made a poor shot. I’ve heard this story time and again. Person goes out with self imposed limit of 30. They have a buck at 35 and think they can now make the shot they couldn’t in practice and you end up with a bad hit and a lost deer. I generally hate that type of thinking. It’s only a little bit more than my hard line so it’s fine. It’s a lack of discipline and though you may get lucky a time or two, it’s a very bad mentality to have for long term success.
I believe that to be true about a lot of things in life and I stick to it for archery as well. Stay disciplined. Set a realistic max and don’t allow your lust for the kill make you take a shot your probablly shouldn’t. And I agree in general that the realistic max can vary greatly between two people. Just because you can make the shot at 80 doesn’t mean I can. If your a 40 yards and in guy, stick to 40 yards and in.
Hope I’m no offending anyone with this, but it’s how I feel about the whole deal.

Laramie

WKR
When I was younger and shot a lot, I took a few animals at 70. I'm not comfortable with those shots now. I prefer to be inside of 50 yards these days but I would take a 60 yard broadside shot at an elk if all conditions were perfect. I still practice to 80.

Sled

WKR
My distance varies based on conditions and my current setup. This year's setup I'm struggling with and feel like 65 yards is about max on elk to be in the 8" bullseye. Previous years I could stay inside a 6" group at 100 9 out of 10 shots. At that distance there would need to be zero chance of an animal moving. Even then I prefer my shots to under 70. So far all my bow kills have been under 60.