Shot for Pre-Steel Barrel

jjgrow

FNG
I have an Auto-5 mfg 1950 and am wondering what shot is safe to shoot in it (other than lead) for waterfowl hunting? Gun shop thought Bismuth, Tungsten, or nickel-plated steel but didn't seem informed. Looking for what metal is safe for the barrel.

TIA

Last edited:
OP
jjgrow

jjgrow

FNG
Thanks Rob. Have a box of Kents that I'll try. Expensive loads, guess I'll have to shoot doubles ;)

Bismuth or Kent tungsten matrix. Tungsten is harder than steel but the Kent stuff is actually a polymer, coated steel is still steel.

What choke does it have? If it's not a family heirloom and is less than full I'd shoot steel smaller than 2's without much consideration.

Bismuth or Kent tungsten matrix. Tungsten is harder than steel but the Kent stuff is actually a polymer, coated steel is still steel.

What choke does it have? If it's not a family heirloom and is less than full I'd shoot steel smaller than 2's without much consideration.

OP
jjgrow

jjgrow

FNG
Not sure what the choke is, probably modified or full I imagine. I may try to look it up from the codes on the barrel. It is an heirloom, passed down to me from my grandfather, so I only use it occasionally when the weather is dry. But it shoots so damn nice. When the weather turns wet, I pull out my 40 year old 870 which I've literally used as a boat paddle.

Not sure what the choke is, probably modified or full I imagine. I may try to look it up from the codes on the barrel. It is an heirloom, passed down to me from my grandfather, so I only use it occasionally when the weather is dry. But it shoots so damn nice. When the weather turns wet, I pull out my 40 year old 870 which I've literally used as a boat paddle.

Don't run steel thru it then. Buy another barrel for it if you wish to do that. Receiver will be fine, with a full choke and steel shot you may bulge the end of the barrel. Mod choke you could still have the possibility, tho it would be pretty rare. Of course to be safe you aren't supposed to use steel thru any of the pre invector barrels.

I have a few Auto-5's, you can normally pick up a few extra barrels for them if you watch.

blake_mhoona

Lil-Rokslider
I've been hesitant to use steel or high brass lead in a recently purchased older 20 gauge. what is the "cutoff" year wise on when it would be ok?

for reference it is a Dakin model 160 20 gauge SxS. I believe they were imported in the 60s

I've been hesitant to use steel or high brass lead in a recently purchased older 20 gauge. what is the "cutoff" year wise on when it would be ok?

for reference it is a Dakin model 160 20 gauge SxS. I believe they were imported in the 60s

Depends on manufacturer, I know Browning stuff fairly well. I wouldn't be worried about high brass, that actually doesn't matter for pressure. It's a common thought that high brass makes for more power but it's the chamber that is rated, not the shotshell, it's more for identification. All shotshells for a certain gauge and size are capable of same pressure, however generally a low brass shell from a manufacturer is a lower pressure load. Make sure it has a 3" chamber if using 3" loads, several older guns, especially Auto-5's have 9/16 chambers, something to watch out for.

The danger with steel is barrel scoring (which good wads should prevent) and barrel bulging from trying to compress the steel shot column in the choke section. Really isn't much point in using a full choke for most steel, the way it reacts it patterns tighter than lead from the same amount of constriction.

Generally a well constructed shotshell (good wad) with smaller than #2 ( probably smaller for 20 ga I'd say atleast #3 probably #4 shot) and not max dram you should be fine as long as it's a modified or more open choke and the gun is proofed or rated for modern shotshells. Of course this is advice from some guy on the internet, it's worth what you paid for it. Do a little research on your own to decide what you think is safe.

A great option for your vintage Browning is Hevishot Hevi-Bismuth Waterfowl. It is great for the older barrel and will give you superior knockdown power as well as super patterns. If you are pass shooting I would probably go with 3' 2's or 4's . You have to keep in mind that Hevi-Bismuth is over 20 percent denser than steel.

Last edited:
With the Hevishot, you can get the Bismuth for waterfowl (Hevi-Bismuth Waterfowl) and upland (Hevi-Bismuth Upland). Another great thing is that the Hevishot ammo is made here in the United States.

wesley

FNG
I think they're just playing off their company name "hevi shot" and you interpret it how you want to....

I do not see it that way ^^ at all. Hevishot produces a premium shotgun shell and it's that simple for me.
I am an advocate of the brand because the shells have proven to me (in the field) how effective they are.
Our group has over 6000 acres of prime duck habitat in the heart of the Mississippi Flyway and we see
groups from virtually every southeastern U.S state on an annual basis. So, I am in the FIELD actually
hunting, calling, guiding, etc a great deal. We recover so many more birds with the Hevishot shotgun shells
as opposed to the HIGH number of cripples we see with standard steel. The Hevishot simply has the PUNCH
to get to the vitals which in turn cleanly kills these birds.

wesley

FNG
Sorry you misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I agree with you whole heartedly, I only shoot bismuth anymore for the same reason. I was just pointing out to Billy Goat that "hevi bismuth" probably isn't trying to convey that it is heavier than lead, they are just using the "hevi" portion of their company name to promote their bismuth line of products.

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider
An idea if you have a decent gunsmith in your area.....I had a similar issue when I inherited my dad's older Browning B2000. It had a fixed choke barrel on it (full choke) and read dozens of threads on shooting steel thru that type of barrel. Conclusion was it's not a good idea. So, I took that barrel to a local gunsmith here in PHX. Wright Armory ended up threading the barrel for new chokes and problem solved.

Sorry you misinterpreted what I was trying to say. I agree with you whole heartedly, I only shoot bismuth anymore for the same reason. I was just pointing out to Billy Goat that "hevi bismuth" probably isn't trying to convey that it is heavier than lead, they are just using the "hevi" portion of their company name to promote their bismuth line of products.

He edited his original post. He stated hevi bismuth was heavier than lead. I shoot mostly my own loads on waterfowl, I prefer hw-15 if I want something with punch. Fact is for the range at which most people have any business shooting steel is just fine. If using an old gun get some bismuth. Enviro metals has always been elusive in their marketing of what they sell. At least Kent prints a density on the box.

spur60

Lil-Rokslider
I love it when hevishot prostaffers find a new forum to spam.
It's always entertaining and turns into a clown show, and i'm not even a hater...shot half a box of hevimetal yesterday.