Shot IQ

Hey everyone,
Am curious if any of you had any thoughts on the Shot IQ course through Joel Turner (online specifically). I would love to attend one of Joel's in person camps but I have no idea when there will be one near me. I shoot an RX3 with a Silverback and in the past 6 months, have struggled a fair bit with shooting the release under pressure. I am pulling too hard/too fast to try and get the release to go off. When I am patient and comfortable (shooting in the backyard) I can execute a perfect surprise shot but struggle with it during higher pressure situations. Ive shot the silverback for 3 years now and taken many animals with it. I have no problem putting my pin on the target but can struggle if there is a lot of movement or at longer distances. Seems like the Shot IQ course caters to a process that is effective but was curious if anyone recommended it? Or wouldn't recommend it?

Ive listened to the guy on a few podcasts and he seems to be pretty spot on but wanted to ask on the forum before I signed up. Want to develop a system that I am comfortable with under all circumstances. Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Zac

WKR
You could just try watching the nock on target panic series, it’s free. Try just shooting at a large target with no dot on it so you can just let your pin float and not worry about a spot. Say to out loud to your self in a slow rhythm, “ keep pulling”. Maybe shoot one arrow at a time and then walk to go get it every time. But ya that shot iq stuff is probably worth it.

Powerman

FNG
I took his online course and can definitely recommend it. The way he explains the whole process and helps you to build your own blueprint for your shot is great. His program has helped me a lot in my shooting. I agree it would be awesome to see him in person for a shooting session.

OP
You could just try watching the nock on target panic series, it’s free. Try just shooting at a large target with no dot on it so you can just let your pin float and not worry about a spot. Say to out loud to your self in a slow rhythm, “ keep pulling”. Maybe shoot one arrow at a time and then walk to go get it every time. But ya that shot iq stuff is probably worth it.

Ive watched all the nock on vids on target panic and do his school of nock each year after elk season in building my shot back from a form perspective. They are outstanding and I recommend them to everyone. I also spend a lot of time with my sight off in the winter. I feel like from a form perspective, I have a pretty good shot. What I love about the silverback is that it is a tremendous identifier in showing form flaws which I have learned to identify.

Where Joel's curriculum is appealing to me is that it seems to help you create a mental process that utilizes both the conscious and unconscious mind to get through the mental side of a shot. I feel like this will help me a lot in having a process for all situations...not just the ones I am comfortable with.

Ya for sure. It’s just creating a process so that your mind if focused on that and not the results. More pressure the more you are worried about the results not the process.

wapitibob

WKR
Turners kid just shot a 1530 at Redding, Paige shot a 1533 and is actually aiming in the dot for the first time in her life so I think the program works.
Wind was blowing about 20 mph on Sunday making for a lot of "uncomfortable" situations.

OP
Turners kid just shot a 1530 at Redding, Paige shot a 1533 and is actually aiming in the dot for the first time in her life so I think the program works.
Wind was blowing about 20 mph on Sunday making for a lot of "uncomfortable" situations.

I saw that. I shot Redding this year and ironically it was Sunday that made me want to finally jump in to the Shot IQ. With the wind on Sunday and the stretch of the course I had to shoot (bigfoot, elk scene etc), I was letting down a lot (which I dont mind doing at all) but also struggling with how much pin movement I had. It was messing with my head and keeping me from executing a good shot. I was not trusting the process of pulling through the silverback and instead was trying to rip through the release when my pin was on target. I didn't have a strong system in place "between the ears" for situations like this. I purchased the class and am pumped to get started!

Did you shoot Redding?

wapitibob

WKR
yea, shot my worst ever lol
We started sunday on the canyon cookshack Deer. The wind really picked up after we hit the 3 yarder on that open hillside. That wind was a bitch.

Dirtbag

WKR
I took an in person course at RMSgear with Joel. He seemed like a good guy and certainly gave me some structure to add to my shot. I wouldn't say its anything all that groundbreaking though and hasn't completely cured me of the target panic I have. At times it kind of seemed like:

"oh you have target Panic? well have you made a choice to just like not have it lol"

With that said I still use some of the things taught and do believe it'll help in due time. If you have any questions about what its like, let me know.

Claypa

FNG
I saw that. I shot Redding this year and ironically it was Sunday that made me want to finally jump in to the Shot IQ. With the wind on Sunday and the stretch of the course I had to shoot (bigfoot, elk scene etc), I was letting down a lot (which I dont mind doing at all) but also struggling with how much pin movement I had. It was messing with my head and keeping me from executing a good shot. I was not trusting the process of pulling through the silverback and instead was trying to rip through the release when my pin was on target. I didn't have a strong system in place "between the ears" for situations like this. I purchased the class and am pumped to get started!

Did you shoot Redding?
How did the course go for you?

OP
How did the course go for you?
Still working through it. To be honest, its already been a tremendous help and I am only about 1/4 of the way through it. Just his basic explanation of creating a process in addition to what your brain is trying to do is outstanding. Its made me look at shooting very differently. The process is very important and incredibly helpful. He teaches that there are several stops built in and if something isnt right at one of the parts of the shot, you stop. Shooting a silverback, I felt like I had great form but once I let off of the safety, that is where some of the anxiety came in. Not always but if I was out way far or under a super stressful situation. Now, those things still exist but its taught me to work through it or let down. I am pumped that even when I am pretty deep into pulling on my silverback that if something isnt right, I can stop the shot and let down.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joel is the real deal on the finer points of executing a perfect shot every time…he is also a superb elk caller…you will not go wrong in following his educational processes…and to help in refining your skill set

Colobwhntr

Lil-Rokslider
Is this class something that should be taken in the off season To allow plenty of time?

Claypa

FNG
Still working through it. To be honest, its already been a tremendous help and I am only about 1/4 of the way through it. Just his basic explanation of creating a process in addition to what your brain is trying to do is outstanding. Its made me look at shooting very differently. The process is very important and incredibly helpful. He teaches that there are several stops built in and if something isnt right at one of the parts of the shot, you stop. Shooting a silverback, I felt like I had great form but once I let off of the safety, that is where some of the anxiety came in. Not always but if I was out way far or under a super stressful situation. Now, those things still exist but its taught me to work through it or let down. I am pumped that even when I am pretty deep into pulling on my silverback that if something isnt right, I can stop the shot and let down.
That’s great. A lot of what he says in the YouTube videos and podcasts seems to really make sense to me. The difference in the mental process and level of focus on the shot execution between what I have been doing and what I should be is pretty big. Do you shoot the silverback when hunting as well?

OP
That’s great. A lot of what he says in the YouTube videos and podcasts seems to really make sense to me. The difference in the mental process and level of focus on the shot execution between what I have been doing and what I should be is pretty big. Do you shoot the silverback when hunting as well?
The course is awesome because it gives you the important tidbits/specifics that are not in the podcasts. Initially I felt like I had his concepts through a lot of the podcasts I had heard with him which actually made me not purchase the course for a long time. The course is very helpful in taking a lot of the steps and making them concrete in your brain.

I do hunt with the silverback and have for the past three years. I really like it and honestly dont see myself moving on to a new release anytime soon...especially after working on Shot IQ. With the silverback my bad shots are not anywhere near what my bad shots were when I had an index finger release. Frankly I feel way more confident shooting with the silverback in hunting situations.

Claypa

FNG
The course is awesome because it gives you the important tidbits/specifics that are not in the podcasts. Initially I felt like I had his concepts through a lot of the podcasts I had heard with him which actually made me not purchase the course for a long time. The course is very helpful in taking a lot of the steps and making them concrete in your brain.

I do hunt with the silverback and have for the past three years. I really like it and honestly dont see myself moving on to a new release anytime soon...especially after working on Shot IQ. With the silverback my bad shots are not anywhere near what my bad shots were when I had an index finger release. Frankly I feel way more confident shooting with the silverback in hunting situations.
I’ll have to check it out. What do you think about the above question regarding allowing a good chunk of the off-season versus implementing some of the mental focus concepts fairly quickly?