Shot Placement Article from BaseMap, good stuff

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Basemap_adv103-5.png
Our buds @BaseMap just sent this article out. I thought it was a great illustration on shot placement. The grid really helped visualize what to expect when you hit in a certain square. Good stuff and worth the read.

Laramie

WKR
I initially liked this post but after reading the entire article I'm not sure I agree with all of their statements- Especially their analysis of shot C4. With full penetration, any shot in this square is a very lethal shot that will lead to a relatively quick death, imo. I'm also not sure that the particular angle depicted offers a more forgiving shot, as they state, than a perfectly broadside deer would offer. Just my take...

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I initially liked this post but after reading the entire article I'm not sure I agree with all of their statements- Especially their analysis of shot C4. With full penetration, any shot in this square is a very lethal shot that will lead to a relatively quick death, imo. I'm also not sure that the particular angle depicted offers a more forgiving shot, as they state, than a perfectly broadside deer would offer. Just my take...
and your take is appreciated!

MattB

WKR
C3 is the best shot but may not get the onside lung. Still very deadly as you would get liver, diaphragm, and offside lung.

There is no void, just people who do not understand the physiology of game they hunt and/or people who are bad at calling their shots.

I completely agree there is no void, I just love the argument of I hit the void can’t find my animal so I’m positive it’s still alive and I’m goin for another. I get called a moron often for proving there isn’t a void below the spine, just lazy people who either can’t track, push the animal to soon, or use it as an excuse of why they didn’t find their animal. An animals organs fill up every bit of space in their chest cavity, everything fits together like a perfect puzzle. The only air space inside a chest cavity is inside the lungs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I completely agree there is no void, I just love the argument of I hit the void can’t find my animal so I’m positive it’s still alive and I’m goin for another. I get called a moron often for proving there isn’t a void below the spine, just lazy people who either can’t track, push the animal to soon, or use it as an excuse of why they didn’t find their animal. An animals organs fill up every bit of space in their chest cavity, everything fits together like a perfect puzzle. The only air space inside a chest cavity is inside the lungs.

But I saw it on TV.

They said avoid the void.

Or maybe the noid.

il_794xN.2494404718_3r2r.jpg

rayporter

WKR
it might depend on what you have shot.

my bud shot a moose and said moose was busy heading for parts unknown as it went past me. i shot and it dropped.

so when we skinned it there was a hole in the top of the shoulder blade and under the spine. i stuck my finger in the hole all the way through under the spine and i can say with certainty there was no part of the lung cavity was touched. call it what you wish. the moose would have lived had i not been there. if you shoot enough animals strange things can, and do happen.

my bud shot a moose and said moose was busy heading for parts unknown as it went past me. i shot and it dropped.

so when we skinned it there was a hole in the top of the shoulder blade and under the spine. i stuck my finger in the hole all the way through under the spine and i can say with certainty there was no part of the lung cavity was touched. call it what you wish. the moose would have lived had i not been there. if you shoot enough animals strange things can, and do happen.

But when you stuck your finger in there the lungs were completely deflated....

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Being the armchair QB here;

Considering that buck is walking....that is not where you would want to aim.....

that’s a good point. does seem to be walking now that I look

MattB

WKR

Did you take the shoulder and ribs off to see what was hit? I don't think you could pass through the scapula and under the spine (presuming broadside) and not hit lungs. The very top of the lungs actually extends slightly above the lowest point of the spine, so there is no void in between.

rayporter

WKR
in Alaska you are required to salvage all meat and all meat was removed.
the front shoulder was removed and a rib roll was done.

from the outside i could push my finger through the bullet hole with out entering the lung cavity.

But when you stuck your finger in there the lungs were completely deflated....

you dont get it do you? my finger missed the internal cavity that contained the lungs. the killing shot was a liver hit as he trotted by at 150 yds. it dropped him instantly. the lungs were still inflated.

i never said there was a void, i had never heard of a void at the time.

its just the facts of one kill.

LostArra

WKR
I hope Basemap does an article on how to get that close to a mature buck from the ground :)

Treestand shots especially from high stands or close shots throw a wrench in the works

I like the grid. I would like to also see it superimposed on a broadside shot and maybe printed on a card for describing where a hunter thinks they hit (we are rarely right). How many times have we heard "I hit a little back".