Shot Placement Review

I harvested this cow a couple weeks ago. Very little blood but found her a little over 100 yards away. As I found her she was taking her last breaths, I snuck closer to get another arrow in her but she died before I took the shot. It was about 45mins after the initial shot.

I thought I had a double lung shot as I hit her right where I was aiming at 5 yards broadside. I didn't inspect the lungs but kept the heart and liver. I didn't realize till I got home that there was a slice right through the center of the liver from my broadhead.

Without 20/20 hindsight, would you think this was poor shot placement / too far back? Is it possible that I got the back of her lungs and hit the liver where I did? I'm still surprised this is a liver shot so just curious what others think.VideoCapture_20210909-091553.jpg20210908_212255.jpg

Marble

WKR
I think the liver should be on the off side of that picture. Seeing the other side would tell the rest of the story.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

sfotiades

FNG
Agreed. Shot looks a little high and would not expect the liver to be in question. Was she quartering?

Laramie

WKR
Your shot was quartering meaning you got one lung and liver. The shot location pictured will not hit liver unless that is the case.

cgasner1

WKR
Just a couple inches higher than ideal a inch higher than you hit probably would have been a issue

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jethro

WKR
Not too far back. High though. 100 yard recovery to a dead elk. Hard to argue with that. Liver is surprising based solely on entrance hole. Post up a pic of the exit hole if you have one.

That's exactly where i hit my bull this year and it was both lungs, he tipped over insight and was done in about 10 minutes. Are you sure you didnt break a rib and thats what punctured the liver?

OP
nathan.m.lemieux
Shot wasn't quartering, I shot her off one knee at 5 yards perfectly broadside.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

OP
nathan.m.lemieux
That's exactly where i hit my bull this year and it was both lungs, he tipped over insight and was done in about 10 minutes. Are you sure you didnt break a rib and thats what punctured the liver?
I'm sure, it was a perfect slice of my iron will with bleeder blades.

Marble

WKR
I'm sure, it was a perfect slice of my iron will with bleeder blades.

We all just want to see the other side. If we can all learn something that would be great!

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

OP
nathan.m.lemieux
Unfortunately I don't have a picture of the exit hole. I didn't realize I got liver until I was home. I really wish I had looked at the lungs while I was in the field as well. I'm trying to learn something too which is why I'm looking for people's thoughts here.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The liver tucks in under the ribcage, I can see how you could have hit it. But I would presume that you got both lungs as well with that shot broadside......especially being high. If you're low, the further back you go you'll miss the lungs, but they extend back quite a ways up high.

hobbes

WKR
View attachment 330617

Okay with this said maybe it was the upward direction of the arrow since you were on one knee and at such a close proximity to the elk. the arrow never had a chance to "level out"?
That photo overlay is not accurate. An elk's liver isn't close to that big and tucks in behind the lungs different than that. That is an antelope blown up and overlayed onto an elk from years back in an attempt to show front shoulder bone structure.

Dennis

WKR
Congratulations on the elk and the recovery. I strive for the most ethical shot placement I can find and have now moved my aiming spot forward of the crease to the vital V. The Ranch Fairy has some good videos on shot placement and does necropsy on animals that you might find useful. Good luck