shot placement

cnelk

WKR
1st pic - Bad shot. One lung at best
2nd pic - Needs to be higher. The vitals are pushed up when the elk is lying down
3rd pic - Elk is moving. Tough shot
4th pic - He wont go far...
5th pic - You will see him tip over

I believe the last one is a BB pic? The fourth pic looks good. Agreed the bedded pic needs to be higher. The BB pic looks good.

Sent from my iPad

OP
M
on the second shot I was taking in to account the angle of the body. He is kind of leaning back so I went a bit lower. On the first shot I was looking at the location of the heart. Figured i got the heart and one lung. I love BB's shot threads and figured i'd start one here.

wapitibob

WKR
I would like the first bull turned just a twitch more towards me, then the shot will take the arteries off the top of the heart.

littlebuf

Banned
the 4th pic is the exact shot i made last year,turned the same and facing down hill just like that .that bull made it 80 yards

gil_wy

Lil-Rokslider
For rifle all of the above... For bow, #2 and the last one.... Maybe #4 if he's not moving and close enough...

wapitibob

WKR
some pics

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Swede

WKR
I made the #3 shot at 25 yards on a bull 3 seasons back. The bull stopped in that position for a moment before following his harem. There is just enough room at the left of the tree to put an arow into the vitals without hitting the shoulder.

i love a good shot placement thread. this should be a sticky. since i've read BB's thread over on A/T after Joehunter copied and pasted it from bowsite, my shots thru the ">" on 3 deer and 2 elk have resulted in devastating kill shots and watching or hearing them go down in short order. one thing that helps me is my 3d target with the life like shape of the animal. my site automatically finds the center of the ">" as soon as i draw my bow.