Shot process time?

Remps17

Lil-Rokslider
As I was shooting today I was thinking about the time it takes for my shot process. I haven’t timed it until today and I am around 10 seconds at 60+ yards, and little less closer up. I was thinking of how that translates to hunting. I can’t recall the time it takes to shoot on an animal as things change in a hunting situation and once I shoot the last thing I am thinking is how long my shot process was.

How long are your guys shot process at the range and if you can recall on an animal.

6-10 seconds seems about right for targets, honestly I get so jacked shooing animals I cant remember if I anchor or look through my peep most times, let alone how long the shot process takes, obviously I do but what happens from when I draw to the time I release the arrow is a mystery for he most part

Dvidos

Lil-Rokslider
6-10 seconds seems about right for targets, honestly I get so jacked shooing animals I cant remember if I anchor or look through my peep most times, let alone how long the shot process takes, obviously I do but what happens from when I draw to the time I release the arrow is a mystery for he most part
+1
BB.jpg

Slim Jim

WKR
My shot process is usually 5-7 seconds once anchored. I practice getting shots off at around 3 seconds as well for certain hunting situations but not too much or bad habits will form.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I'm generally a pretty quick shooter once anchored. If my bow is set up right and it holds well, I see no reason to sit on the target longer than I have to. If I do wait it's like I'm waiting for the pin to jump off the bullseye. While hunting I've shot within a second or two of anchoring, and I've held for quite awhile on some because I drew early and had no shot......until I did. But in those cases I'm not aiming while holding.

When I practice, I'll run the 3D courses and nock and shoot like a recurve shooter most the time.

dkime

WKR
I'm generally a pretty quick shooter once anchored. If my bow is set up right and it holds well, I see no reason to sit on the target longer than I have to. If I do wait it's like I'm waiting for the pin to jump off the bullseye. While hunting I've shot within a second or two of anchoring, and I've held for quite awhile on some because I drew early and had no shot......until I did. But in those cases I'm not aiming while holding.

When I practice, I'll run the 3D courses and nock and shoot like a recurve shooter most the time.

My shot process is similar, I shoot too quick often times. When I am shooting at my best during a 5 spot tournament I am finishing my 5 arrow end with 2:07 left on the clock. This is 5 arrows loaded drawn and executed properly in about 1:53. If I take any longer than that I am focused on aiming rather than executing and scores often reflect it. My hunting shot is the exact same as my target shot as most of the equipment is the same.

In comps, my process is about 10 seconds. In hunting scenario, it depends on the situation. I shoot when the best opportunity for a good shot presents itself.

Reading Bernie Pellerite’s book Idiot Proof Archery, he says 4 seconds is ideal once you are aiming.

He also says that the shot sequence of anchor and back tension should be automatic, and you should focus on aiming.

This is directly opposite of a lot of others I’ve read and listened to that say you should focus on the release (back tension).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
This time of year I practice getting off a quick shot.

I've seen a bunch of guys that due to a slow shot sequence lost their shot window on an animal.

Hunting is different than target shooting at a stationary target....seems to me the most deadly hunters get that and don't squander shot opportunities.

Btaylor

WKR
This time of year I practice getting off a quick shot.

I've seen a bunch of guys that due to a slow shot sequence lost their shot window on an animal.

Hunting is different than target shooting at a stationary target....seems to me the most deadly hunters get that and don't squander shot opportunities.

I dont know how many times I have seen guys on hunting shows fail to get an arrow off before the animal moves and they act like it was the animals fault even though they were at full draw for enough time to have shot 3 times.

Btaylor

WKR
Not sure I've ever heard this before. You should always be focusing on your target. Everything else should be automatic if you shoot enough.
Ties back to Joel Turner's stuff...eyes are focused on the spot but the brain is focused on shot completion. As opposed to trying to think about holding the pin on the spot and think about properly completing the shot.

Beendare

WKR
I've shot with guys on the target range that take 5 seconds nuzzling in to their anchor. This is practicing for failure in the field, IMO.

I dont know how many times I have seen guys on hunting shows fail to get an arrow off before the animal moves and they act like it was the animals fault even though they were at full draw for enough time to have shot 3 times.

Yeah, no guff.

Then they tell the camera, "I didn't have a shot"....Ugh no....you DID have a shot...... but your overly- slow- target- shooting -standing on flat ground at the range- shot sequence cost you a shot.

[sorry if I'm being a bit harsh....it gets frustrating when you are guiding/helping a guy and then they don't take a good shot] Same happens with rifle guys, IME.

rustneversleeps

Lil-Rokslider
I shoot through my kitchen into the garage at home, so when I am shooting there I am working on my hold and muscle memory. I will set the kitchen timer to random times (25 sec, 42 sec, etc) and go through my entire shot sequence and have to hold until the kitchen timer goes off. I feel like this helps me for those hunting situations when you don't know how long you're gonna have to hold. When I am at the range or practicing long range, I usually get in more of a rhythm

chasewild

WKR
Same as above. 5-7 seconds. Ulmer's video's on his shot sequence are gold.

To replicate the hunting situation, I imagine an elk walking into a lane. I've got my eyes on the imaginary elk, but I'm drawing and holding until he hits a lane. I cow call, then begin the process. If it's not off in 3-5, it's a lost shot. My groups sure do open up when I play that game.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Ties back to Joel Turner's stuff...eyes are focused on the spot but the brain is focused on shot completion. As opposed to trying to think about holding the pin on the spot and think about properly completing the shot.

Why hold the pin on the spot? If it's on the spot release already. If your arrows already hit behind your pins (they should), then wherever your pin is, that's where your arrow should go. I won't release until my pin is where I want it, but as soon as it's where I want it.....the arrow is already gone. But maybe it depends on how one draws their bow.......maybe. I've seen guys that just about contort themselves into a pretzel trying to draw........draw elbow flayling towards the ground and such. I would imagine that it might take them longer to get anchored and then have to settle from all that and then find their target and pins. Don't know. I point the bow at the target while I'm drawing straight back, so I'm already into position to shoot as soon as I hit anchor.

Last edited:

Btaylor

WKR
Why hold the pin on the spot? If it's on the spot release already. If your arrows already hit behind your pins (they should), then wherever your pin is, that's where your arrow should go. I won't release until my pin is where I want it, but as soon as it's where I want it.....the arrow is already gone. But maybe it depends on how one draws their bow.......maybe. I've seen guys that just about contort themselves into a pretzel trying to draw........draw elbow flayling towards the ground and such. I would imagine that it might take them longer to get anchored and then have to settle from all that and then find their target and pins. Don't know. I point the bow at the target while I'm drawing straight back, so I'm already into position to shoot as soon as I hit anchor.

I dont disagree with anything you said there, esp shooting a sighted compound. That's how I was taught and Dad wouldnt let me hunt with a bow until I could draw 50 pounds with the bow extended and sight on the target so there was only a slight adjustment of the pin once at full draw. But that was back in 79 and he hadnt had a compound for long either so I had to follow his rules as they came over from traditional bows, extend the bow fully towards the target and then draw.