Shot selection elk

We see lots of threads on pick your spot on this angle, and that, would you take it or not. I can't stress enough, that it's your tag, and you can take the shots you want, but I can absolutely promise you, one lung hit elk are a nightmare and that elk are tough as hell on marginal shots. If I can save one guy from feeling like shit in camp after a poor shot, all the better.

Case in point...........

Elk number 1 this year. Quartering away, shot pretty much in front of hip, through guts, and out the front shoulder. That elk ran 150 yds and was on its feet for 5 minutes before it rolled. 5 minutes!

Elk number 2, shot through lung area exited low and back from what I could tell. Elk took off for 20 yds, almost fell ( I don't know how it kept its feet) and then stood there forever, maybe 3-4 minutes head on. When it finally turned, I shot it again and it was down in 20 yds.

Angles with elk are tricky. I like walking right to them after they're shot, no waiting, shoot, see them fall, punch tag. It's the norm, and I like the norm, I'm sure you will too.

Keep that in mind on your hunt. Elk with good shots go down quicker than just about anything. Elk on 50/50 shots will have you sitting in camp wanting to go home. All the pep talks in the world won't change that arrow impact when you could have just waited. It's a lot easier getting up the next day with a clear conscience than it is waking up the next day on your hands an knees, low on water looking for anything to give you direction.

Shot bull at 80 yards through both lungs with my .308 last season. He dropped to his front knees. Slowly got back up, turned around and walked 50 yards back the way he came before falling over dead. TOUGH.

Tough animals.

My buddy clipped the bottom of the heart on a nice bull elk and it was alive 12 hours later. He finished it off in its bed. Upon inspection he had gotten the bottom of the heart with 2 blades from his muzzy. There was a pile of blood under that bull 3 feet in diameter.....

Like I said, tough animals....

No animal stays on its feet for long when you center punch both lungs though....don't matter how tough they are. They got 30 seconds, max.

I shot a bear (standing up) through the heart. There was literally nothing left of the heart. He ran 80 yards.... until he ran out of o2 blood.