SHOT Show: optics info

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Spent a lot of time at the Vortex booth today getting to know their line of products. Here are is the first of a few videos we did (watch close, you get to see the very elusive Ryan Avery, guy's like trying to get a 200" buck on film)

[video=vimeo;57645847]http://vimeo.com/57645847[/video]

Last edited:
OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I actually got the wiley Ryan Avery of Rokslide on video. That is harder than getting a 200" buck! If you're a fan of long range and want to save some money, check this out:
[video=vimeo;57646625]http://vimeo.com/57646625[/video]
http://vimeo.com/57646625

Last edited by a moderator:

ElkNut1

WKR
Good stuff guys, thanks a bunch for taking the time to share your findings there. I also enjoyed the Eberlestock Packs review. Look forward to more.

ElkNut1

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have looked at them and the Leica's. I will post up the pics tomorrow. They are both very big binos.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a sucker for big binos

[video=vimeo;57658585]http://vimeo.com/57658585[/video]

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Here is Leica's BIG DOG and oh God forgive me for coveting!

[video=vimeo;57659812]http://vimeo.com/57659812[/video]

tstowater

WKR
Like those Leica's!!! I would be in big trouble if I brought those home. If I could get good $$ for my EL's and other Leica's, I would take the plunge.

Robby, I'd like to see a video and read a review from you on the new Bushnell 1 mile ARC Fusion range finding binoculars. I already have a set of Leica Geovids, and didn't realize that Bushnell made these. Read a few reviews on them, and just returned from a trip over to Warehouse Sports to have a look at last years model, and optically, they seemed clear, and a good bino for the price. Can only imagine that the new model is even better. Considering selling my Geovids and my son's Leupold Pinnacles, to fund the purchase of 2 pair of the Bushnells if they meet the specs.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Couesbitten,
Man, I wish I could'a got over there before the show closed. We just plain ran out of time. I'm renaming this show to the Can't-eat-drink-or-go-to-bathroom-'cause-I'm-freaking-out-about-all-this-unreal-gear Show. My feet are so tired that I'm thinking about renting a wheelchair so I can go to dinner.

Having been to the top 3 optics booths, I will say this: don't even think about selling your Geovids for 10 Bushnells! You won't be happy. We learned today from a top exec at -fill-in-the blank with one of the top 3 optics guys- why the lower end glass can look good at a show or at Sportsman's or Cabela's, but when you get to the field, your buddy with the great glass is spotting more game.

Bottom line: if you can afford the top glass, then get it! If you can't afford it, you'll still be OK!

Bounds, I got to the Zeiss both and can say the Terra binoculars will serve you well for the price.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Hey guys, talking with the fellow Roksliders at the SHOT show, we discovered that many of us use Vanguard tripods. We headed over to the booth and found out they do way more than tripods. If you're on a budget but still want a good spotter, check this out:
[video=vimeo;57722473]http://vimeo.com/57722473[/video]

Floorguy

WKR
Having been to the top 3 optics booths, I will say this: don't even think about selling your Geovids for 10 Bushnells! You won't be happy. We learned today from a top exec at -fill-in-the blank with one of the top 3 optics guys- why the lower end glass can look good at a show or at Sportsman's or Cabela's, but when you get to the field, your buddy with the great glass is spotting more game.

Bottom line: if you can afford the top glass, then get it! If you can't afford it, you'll still be OK!

Bounds, I got to the Zeiss both and can say the Terra binoculars will serve you well for the price.

So why will the buddy with great glass be seeing more game?

Did Zeiss say whether or not they would be making a Terra spotter?

FWilliams

FNG
thanks for all the effort Robby, dang looks like ill have to check out those vanguards as well, didnt even know they made a spotting scope!

Fred

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
So why will the buddy with great glass be seeing more game?

Did Zeiss say whether or not they would be making a Terra spotter?

Yes, they will be making a Terra spotter as well (I was told).

They're several reasons high end optics help spot more game ( light gathering, chromatic aberration, field of view and more).

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Aron, thanks for chiming in while I'm busy editing video!

Floorguy, the reasons are very in-depth, Aron touches on them, but we can go deeper and give tests and reasons why. I have some plans to do an article- time and Lord willin'- to get into this stuff, but it is very techy!.

I spent about 30 minutes today with a 30-year industry expert who's sold low-end and high-end glass and am still trying to fit it all in.

Suffice it to say, you get what you pay for. The good news is that you can get a lot of of the lower end glass (I used it for years and killed 200" bucks with it) but if you can afford more, definitely go for it.