SHOT Show Report Day 1 - Part 2

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I had a little while now before what was supposed to be my 1st meeting which now was my 2nd of the day so I took an hour to look around. I didn't see anything note worthy so off to Athlon I went.
I have become somewhat friendly with these guys since we started working together a little over 2 years ago. Some players have come and gone but the guys at the top are the same and they've always made working together effortless and enjoyable. At the end of 2019 they discontinued MANY SKU's in they offerings (which IMO was a good decision. No brand needs an offering of binoculars at every $40.00 increment) and added a few nice additions. As I am sure you've already become aware of we jumped on a few of the discontinued items and posted them on our Specials Section.
The one change in presentation, but not in product, is now all of their optics that were always ED glass are now called UHD. No change in SKU #, no change in packaging. Just a name change. Not sure how I feel about this, however, greater marketing minds than mine are at work. Not a bad thing or a good thing, again IMO, just a thing.
We continue to sell more of their Midas TAC Riflescopes for 22 trainers and their scopes in general for PRS than any other brand. They give quality and value in all their offerings which is great.

Their new Ares 15-45x65 UHD - Straight & Ares 15-45x65 UHD -Angled Spotting Scopes have removable eyepieces. There is a fixed 24 power eyepiece, with a MIL ranging reticle in it, available for only $149.99. This should be a home run. GREAT spotter and the option for a fixed reticle eyepiece and priced right. Way to go.

They've also released a great quality, but lower priced Argos 20-60x85 HD Straight & Angled Spotter priced at only $369.99
Featuring: HD Glass, Advanced Fully multi-coated, Rubber Armor, Rotating Tripod Ring.

The revamped Agros BTR Gen2 Riflescopes starting at only $379.99 for the 1-8x24 1-8x24 - ATSR5 SFP IR MOA IMO will be a top seller.
This family of rifle scopes featuring FFP and SFP models, True Precision Zero Stop, Fully Multi-coated Lenses, Direct Dial Elevation & Windage Turrets (Capped in 1-8x24), Illuminated Reticle, 30mm Tube.

Next stop was over at Konus. Until proven otherwise I still feel that Konus has the best entry level offerings in the industry. Not everyone is looking for $500.00 or $1,000.00 optics. Many guys want a dependable riflescope under $100.00 and a spotter for under $200.00 and Konus 100% is the go to.
I saw their new 5x-40x Night Vision Monocular, which for $299.99 will be a strong optic. No, this is not the greatest night vision, however, it's very good and in it's price class a real find.
5x-40x magnification
Photo and video recording function
Daytime and nighttime use
Daytime vision in colour
PC connectable
SD-card for storing images
5x optical zoom
8x digital zoom
Tripod attachment
Case included
Works on three AA batteries
Built-in illuminator for total darkness
Working distance: 200m – 220 yds

We also struck an AMAZING deal for you all on their #7122 KonuSpot-100 20-60x-100 Spotting Scope for only $199.99. This is a very affordable option in a quality range spotter.
Multi-coated optics
Rubber armored
Set/release screw for rotation
Quick peep sight
45 degree viewing angle
Extendable sunshade
Includes the following: Table-top tripod, Camera adapter, Carrying case, Lens cleaning cloth

For the past year or so Vector Optics has been reaching out to us to carry their products. Jamie has kept communication open and regularly showing me that they care about connecting with a reputable retailer so how could I not set up a meeting and take a look? My "going into the meeting attitude" is this is another me too Pacific Rim company who OEM's from the same places as everyone else. Nothing new to see, but if the quality control is strong and their prices are lower it's worth knowing about.
While walking around during my free time between Leica and Athlon I noticed MANY Pacific Rim companies all offering the "same" products. As an astute individual posted the other day "These days all it takes to be an optics company is a suitcase full of money and a plane ticket to China". No reason to get involved with another "me too" company that may or may not have staying power. We've been in business since 1957 by taking our customers best interest to heart. Adding a no name start up is not in your best interest, IMO, so we will not be adding Vector Optics to our line-up. I wish them great success and perhaps in a few years, if they are still in business, we will revisit the idea of adding them.

Ending my leisurely first day was a meeting with Mike Jensen of GPO. GPO's been around a few years now but just doesn't get the recognition and support I feel they deserve. Great optics, great quality control, lifetime no worry about it warranty and nice packaging but still is not mainstreaming. I cannot figure out why. Anyone who has looked through one of their Passion HD Binoculars will agree it's right there with the best of the Alpha glass at a fraction of the price. We discussed GPO providing a few optics to pass around to forum members to test and review. I'll be reaching out once I am back to get this program rolling.

We did strike a deal for you on their R380 Passion 3X 6-18x50 - MOA Riflescope for only $499.99 (for a limited time).
The iControl™ illumination assures users that they always have a live battery when most needed.
Automatically powers down the illumination when the electronic module has been stationary for more than 3 hours
Offers bright, fiber optic technology
Alerts users when the battery has only 15% remaining battery life
Excellent eye relief
1/4 MOA CCW rotation
Fast focus ocular
Metal turret caps
GPObright lens coating technology
Double HD objective glass technology

Now comes my daily gelatto cone, Strawberry Cheesecake. Medicinal of course to sooth my sore, from talking all day, throat.

If there is anything you're looking for please give us a call at 516-217-1000. It is always our pleasure to speak with you. Always give a call to discuss options and what would be best for your needs

Have a great day.

Thank you for your continued support.
If there is anything else that I can assist you with please let me know.
Doug
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
516-217-1000

Doug will the Argos btr gen 2 dial reliably? I know the Midas and Ares have both been tested pretty extensively. Please don’t feel the need to respond until you are back at the store. Thanks

NDGuy

WKR
OP
gr8fuldoug

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Doug how does the UHD compare to the previous Ares spotter? For those of that currently have the Ares is it worth upgrading?
The difference is the removable eyepiece allowing for the use of the fixed reticle eyepiece. Otherwise same quality

JGRaider

WKR
What happened to GPO's bino/rf unit? It was supposed to be out last Summer? Is the product abandoned or what?

SDHNTR

WKR
I sure hope GPO makes it.Their 1” scope line appears to be exactly what I’ve been looking for. The specs are perfect for a lightweight mountain rifle with the ability to dial to moderate ranges.

I think their slow launch is related to a few elements. First and foremost, marketing. There have been a few advertisements, but not much. Where is the social media? The podcasts? The you tube influencers? I’m sure there is some presence, but no one seems to know much about it. Where’s the you tube vids and ads of people doing a torture test with GPO stuff? Remember the Leupold attached to the jackhammer? Or the ad of the battle worn Nightforce scope all beat to hell? That stuff sells. If it’s a brand new optic company I want to see some real tests by real people to give me confidence in the product, not just overly complementary gun writers in magazines that no one reads anymore. Remember Vortex and their launch? Unlike GPO who actually makes a high-quality product, Vortex manufactures crap for the most part, yet they made it on a platform of aggressive marketing. They blasted themselves everywhere 10years ago and rose to the top.

Second of all, people have been burned by here today and gone tomorrow boutique optics manufacturers. It’s a leap a faith to plunk down hard earned money on something that might not be here next year for support. I know the GPO guys have legit history, but we need some reassurance they have backing and staying power. A great warranty does no good if the company folds.

Lastly, I don’t think the name “German Precision Optics” for scopes that are made in Japan/Asia goes over well. This is somewhat deceptive. It doesn’t bother me so much as I care far more about quality construction than I do country of origin, but I know it ruffles feathers and turns people off. Some clarity here, or a shift in marketing strategy is needed.

We need more competition, and these guys are filling a niche in the light weight scope market that was a definite hole. They have the credentials and surely know how to build quality. They should be selling like crazy. I wish them the best!

daddie63

WKR
Good stuff so far Doug and thank you. I was kinda surprised to see Kahles came out with a rangefinder. If you can find anything else about this that would be great. Also looking forward to Swarovski meeting and see what they have coming out.
Thanks again

OP
gr8fuldoug

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Doug will the Argos btr gen 2 dial reliably? I know the Midas and Ares have both been tested pretty extensively. Please don’t feel the need to respond until you are back at the store. Thanks
Yes, absolutely. The Gen 1 is reliable so there's no reason to think the Gen 2 won't be