Shotgun for 18 Year Old Son?

BCD

WKR
I am looking to buy my son a 12 gauge. Likely a pump with a 24 or 26 inch barrel. I would like it to be all camo and trying to keep it at $500 or less. I'm considering the WInchester SXP. I would normally get a Remington 870 but my understanding is that they aren't making them at the moment. The gun will be used for both turkey and waterfowl. Any suggestions?

Thank You!!

Personally I’d buy a nicer used gun. Probably find a decent deal on a used Beretta a300/3901, browning gold or a Winchester Sx3.

If you want to stay with a pump I’m not all to sure it really matters which. Sxp? Mossberg if you like the safety is a solid option but I would always lean 870 (new or used). Mag not supermag. Reasons: 1. Reliability (many pumps will have this though) 2. Availability of parts 3. Ergonomics. It feels good in your hands and points well.

The Nova as suggested above might be the heartiest and most reliable. Beat it against a tree. It’s fine. The problem is the ergonomics. You better have big hands otherwise it’ll never feel quite right and there is just soo much plastic it feels cheap. Also they are a bit expensive for what they are. Interesting because Benelii Semis are sleek.

Last piece of advice. If he’s hunting waterfowl with the gun don’t go any shorter than a 26” barrel

TheACGuy

FNG
I don’t believe 870s are what they used to be.. but that probably goes for the 500 too, as well as so many other classics. I would agree to stick with a 26” barrel. Don’t have any real solid suggestions for you. My “daily driver” when it comes to waterfowl/turkey/pheasant is a Baikal MP 153. It wasn’t a very expensive gun as far as auto loaders go, but man has it outperformed a whole lot of the “flagship” guns I’ve been in the blind with.. and that’s why it’s my daily.

N2TRKYS

WKR
They’re making 870s. The longest barrel I’d get is 24”. If getting a 12ga, I’d definitely get the supermag version.

MO-CHSPKE

FNG
The SXP is an overlooked pump. The cycling is quick and easy. Good bang for the buck.

There are used semi-auto’s that could be bad within your budget. Many of the Beretta’s 30x models and SX2/SX2 would be good choices if found.

If it’s going to be used for both Turkey and Waterfowl hunting…..26” barrel. A 24” bbl in the duck blind is a pain in the ears and a 28” bbl in the Turkey woods can be a pain in the butt.

Wapiti1

WKR
I will suggest a Mossberg 500. I've owned a 20 and 12 for 30 years and they haven't given me any trouble. The 870 I had was a lower grade with the matte finish and was always covered in rust until I coated it. Very annoying. It was a good shotgun otherwise.

They have one with a 24" barrel, but most are 28". I like the longer barrel for everything.

Jeremy

Reactions: BCD
OP
B

BCD

WKR
I had a horrible experience with a Mossberg and will never own one again. The thing was an absolute POS. Probably just a lemon but never again.

GARLICSALT

Lil-Rokslider
My wife a daughter could not hit the broadside of a barn with the 24'' gun we have. swing was very erratic and not smooth. We purchased a Weatherby SA08 in 28'' and what a game changer. Now they both put birds in the bag (duck, quail, dove)

He really needs a gun that fits him best.

Like mentioned above Remington express will rust before your very eyes, seen it happen. the Wingmaster is a much better option.

NB7

WKR
Whether they go on to other guns or not, every young man in shooting sports should own an 870. I bought my first gun with my own money at age 13. It was an 870.

FWIW I eventually owned a Benelli Nova. It always felt like I was looking down the deck of an aircraft carrier after being used to nice slender 870. Later moved on to autoloaders but still have both those guns.

Whether they go on to other guns or not, every young man in shooting sports should own an 870. I bought my first gun with my own money at age 13. It was an 870.

FWIW I eventually owned a Benelli Nova. It always felt like I was looking down the deck of an aircraft carrier after being used to nice slender 870. Later moved on to autoloaders but still have both those guns.
^^ this guy gets it.

Reactions: NB7