Shotgun for the wife

eddiewiggles

FNG
Classified Approved
Like many of us here, I have a gun obsession. My wife enjoys hunting with me and has watched me purchase a number of guns since we’ve been together. In the past year I’ve got her a pistol and a hunting rifle that she loves, but now that turkey season is coming up I realized I have plenty of guns to choose from, but she does not. I’ve pretty much always shot 12 gauges, and she’s shot mine a few times (with low brass birdshot) and she says the recoil doesn’t bother her. But I worry that later on when we shoot doves, that amount of shooting would bother her.

I guess I’m asking if I should point her towards a 20 gauge for the lighter recoil and just accept the difference in amount of shot or overall power (however you wanna describe the size difference), or just let her get used to recoil. She feels like a bum having borrow a gun. I might add, she says she would like a semi auto. So if anyone has any recommendations to certain shotguns, let me know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WKR
I like the Franchi Affinity a lot. Mine is a 12 but looked at a wood stocked 20 the other day. Very nice. Daughter likes the Beretta A400 xplor and the Benelli M2 20. Looking Benelli LH 20 for her now actually. I think recoil and gun weight of a 12 is too much for a lot of women. Daughter for sure likes the 20 more than the 12. Good luck and great she is a shooter.

Reactions: wyo
I bought my wife a youth model Mossberg SA-20. It has been the perfect little gun for her. Light weight, cycles just about everything and comes with 5 chokes. It’s a Turkish gun stamped mossberg, last I heard, the weatherby and tri star guns are the same. Solid little guns for the money!

krimmie

FNG
Not sure what you want to spend, but the Browning Silver micro Midas is hard to beat for a youth or woman.

wyo

Lil-Rokslider
My wife is about 5'4" and had been shooting a pump action 12ga for several years when we got married (with no complaints I might add). We were doing a lot of waterfowl hunting at the time and I decided to buy her a Franchi affinity compact 20ga. She absolutely loves it and it has made her enjoy shooting so much more. I shot it a few times and ordered another one with the standard stock for myself. The Maxus hasn't seen a lot of use since I got the Franchi.

My 13 year old grandson shoots the Franchi Affinity in 12 gauge. Fits him well and should fit a lady. I recently cleaned it for him and it was a simple job. The gun is very light and I’m thinking about adding one (full size) in 20 gauge to my safe.

Grit2

Lil-Rokslider
I've got the full size 20ga franchi affinity elite and I'm small 5'7 1/2”. I'd bet the compact would be awesome for your wife as the full size is probably a hair big for me

Franchi Affinity or Benelli M2 20 ga if you want to go inertia operated....Beretta A400 Lite if you prefer gas operated.

TThomson5

FNG
I just purchased a Browning citori 725 Field in 20 ga. I use it to hunt upland. I am 5’6. I feel the gun fits me very well and not heavy to carry around. Good luck, I hope this helps!

ceejay

Lil-Rokslider
I am bringing this to the top since I have essentially the same question and to see if anyone else has any additional thoughts on this.

I bought my daughter a Tristar from Sportsmen’s, cheap but ate everything during duck season

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

slvrslngr

WKR
Bought a lefty Benelli M2 for my wife a while back. It’s been my go-to upland gun since. 😁🤣

Sandstrom

WKR
I started my wife out on a pump 20 gauge that I swiped from my dad and painted the stock pink (I should have asked him first). She loved it until she shot my benelli UL 12 guage... I now own two of them:). She seams to handle the recoil very well.

Ryan

I'd get her a gas operated 20 ga semi automatic. I am partial to Berettas...they fit me very well and also come with a shim kit to allow adjusting the stock drop and either right or left hand cast (cast off or cast on). Some of the other brands have shim kits as well. Soft shooting and reliable if you clean up the gas mechanism once in awhile....(1,000 rounds with the 12 ga and a bit more frequent with my 28 ga A400 Berettas).

In general I hear good things about the Winchester SX4 and Browning equivalent. Tri-star is a bit more hit or miss as far as problems but understand they take care of the issues quickly.

I'm not as fond of Benelli (and clones) recoil operated semi automatic shotguns due to less recoil reduction vs gas operated shotguns mentioned above.

willidru

WKR
A400 ultra lite is a good gun also have a gal that I know who shoots a good amount of waterfowl that loves the SX4 in 20 ga the grip is narrow and fits women’s hands well.

WRO

WKR
391 youth 20 if you can find it..

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

I’d keep it simple. Ask the wife. Seriously. Have her be a very active participant in the entire process.

Why the assumption that because someone is “small”, “young” and/or “female” that they are weak and cannot handle recoil? Lots of big tough “macho” men out there that cannot handle recoil despite what they say; their body language before and during the shot as well as their shot placement speaks volumes.

Speak with the wife. Have the wife shoulder several shotguns to see which fit her the best. See if any can be rented at a local range. Lastly buy her lessons.

My younger brother uses a Mossberg 500 20ga with a turkey choke for his turkey gun. He shot 3 Turkeys so far with it. I think the farthest was around 35-40 yds. He was using a 5 shot.

I like @AZ_Hunter_2000 suggestions but I have rarely found a novice shooter that understood fit well enough to judge which gun best suited them. I have had better luck just going with a soft shooting gun and easing them into it. A 20 gauge gas gun with low recoil loads (if you can find them these days) is my preference.

agree n the lessons comment too.