Shotgun for the wife

amassi

WKR
A compact sx3/sx4 in 20 ga.
I have a 20ga sx4 and it's a dream to shoot, my wife likes shooting it but it's just a tad too long for her

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Like many of us here, I have a gun obsession. My wife enjoys hunting with me and has watched me purchase a number of guns since we’ve been together. In the past year I’ve got her a pistol and a hunting rifle that she loves, but now that turkey season is coming up I realized I have plenty of guns to choose from, but she does not. I’ve pretty much always shot 12 gauges, and she’s shot mine a few times (with low brass birdshot) and she says the recoil doesn’t bother her. But I worry that later on when we shoot doves, that amount of shooting would bother her.

I guess I’m asking if I should point her towards a 20 gauge for the lighter recoil and just accept the difference in amount of shot or overall power (however you wanna describe the size difference), or just let her get used to recoil. She feels like a bum having borrow a gun. I might add, she says she would like a semi auto. So if anyone has any recommendations to certain shotguns, let me know. Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Her ability to handle and be fitted to the gun means more than recoil, and pattern means more than shot amount.

With that said shot material can be a pretty big equalizer.

a 28 ga with Tungsten is nasty medicine on geese, cranes, divers, pheasants and turkeys.

best money I ever spent was getting my wife’s shot gun fitted to her, wasn’t cheap, but cant, and length of pull makes a big difference in comfort and performance

Last edited:
OP
E
So an update, we were kinda rushed to get her one before I deployed but we ended up with a Franchi Affinity in 20 gauge. I took her to every gun store near the house and let her hold every one she thought was pretty. (I don’t blame her there). There was a few others that she liked as well but once I explained that there was nothing wrong with a 20 gauge and it wasn’t a pansies shotgun, and she loved how it felt we went with it. Out of the box it had a little trouble cycling light loads, so I dug out some shells that were a little hotter and after those it did fine. I can’t say she’s gonna be hitting birds this season, but by god she’ll be shooting at em.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RMP

FNG
I have a Winchester SX4 12 gauge and found it light, reliable and fun to shoot. It is a bit nose heavy, IMO. I think the 24" barrel version would be a little better in that respect. There is a 20 gauge compact version. It might fill the bill. https://ammoandarmsstore.com/511230690/

Oops, just noticed you got her the Franchi. Very nice!