Shotgun Scope for Turkey

hammerguy

FNG
Anyone have guidance on where to buy really good scopes for shotgun?

I can't believe it is so hard to find something that resembles high quality.

I want some magnification not a red dot.

LandYacht

WKR
I’ve got a Nikon Turkey Pro that has been quite good. Have had it for 10 years or so and never a problem with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
H

hammerguy

FNG
I’ve got a Nikon Turkey Pro that has been quite good. Have had it for 10 years or so and never a problem with it.

It's been about that long since you could buy a new one at a retail establishment.

I found that a little surprising. Guess I'm hanging on to my last old slug hunter. Just let a couple go splurging on better binoculars. For spring turkey, that red dot in an ff3 is plenty. Older I get, not so much for ranges beyond that use.

BCD

WKR
I can't really say much about high quality. I have an old Simmons 4 x and a Bushnell Trophy Shotgun 1.75-4. Both get the job done. The Bushnell is the nicer of the 2 and I was told about it originally by a guy that guides for turkeys. He gets a pile of birds and it is his favorite scope.....

mbailey25

WKR
Anyone have guidance on where to buy really good scopes for shotgun?

I can't believe it is so hard to find something that resembles high quality.

I want some magnification not a red dot.

Vortex's Crossfire and Diamondback models have recently had their glass upgraded and has one of the best warranties in the business. I have several of their scopes and have diamondbacks on some of my magnum rifles. I've never had an issue with them and I'm sure the recoil from a shotgun will have no effect on keeping a zero on either of the two models.

OP
H

hammerguy

FNG
Vortex's Crossfire and Diamondback models have recently had their glass upgraded and has one of the best warranties in the business. I have several of their scopes and have diamondbacks on some of my magnum rifles. I've never had an issue with them and I'm sure the recoil from a shotgun will have no effect on keeping a zero on either of the two models.

Thanks for the suggestion!
I called Vortex today (I do love that I can speak to a CS person in seconds!!!) and it was suggested their best turkey scope is a Viper HS 2.5-10 - which sounded great to me from a magnification perspective.

howl

WKR
Has the CS person ever tried to keep a heavier scope in place on a heavy recouping turkey gun?
Shotgun scopes aren't usually high quality because they need to be lightweight and because shotgun states have snow reflecting light.

I think you're going to find field of view an issue on turkeys.