Shotgun Slugs - Sabot / Smoothbore

Don't normally have to mess with shotgun slugs but my kids have a hunt coming up where they are required to use non-toxic buck or slugs. No go on finding any 00 buck hevi-shot. So that puts me at trying to get them some copper solids. Never dealt with copper solid sabot's are they safe to shoot through smooth bores? Shot distance less than fifty yards. Probably be in a cylinder bore setup or improved cylinder both of them like running my beretta 1301 and have shot goose loads out of their 12 gauges before so they can deal with the thump. Any guys do this before...

Smooth bore you will want rifled slugs. Only thing you can really find anymore anyway. I shot remington sluggers for about 20 years before I just bought a savage 220 this year. Sabots would probably shoot through it, but you may want to check accuracy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wapiti1

WKR
Yes, sabots, copper or otherwise, are safe in a cylinder or IC choke. However, they will tumble beyond about 20 yards with no spin. Accuracy will be something like a foot at 50 yards.

A rifled choke would be my suggestion to try, but I'm not sure that will stabilize them. Better than nothing, though.

Jeremy

Lvthntitall

Lil-Rokslider
I shot a rifled choke in a Remington 870 for years using Lightfield slugs with good accuracy to 100 yards, through smooth bores used rifled slugs with an improved cylinder with good accuracy out to 75 yards, hope this helps

Jim1187

Lil-Rokslider
A rifled choke tube or barrel would be very desirable to achieve any type of accuracy with a sabot. I wish you the best of luck in your search.

Bobrunner06

Lil-Rokslider
Anyone finding any ammo? I'm having a hard time finding slug ammo for 20 ga and 12 ga? Is Lightfield still in business? They were my best shooting sabot slugs