SHOTGUNS

Alchemy

WKR
Long time bird hunter, naive over/under guy here.

Grew up shooting shotguns long before I ever deer hunted. My dad had pointers up until the quail left Oklahoma for good…. Have continued duck/goose hunting/quail/dove/pheasant hunting with my semi auto guns. I own a stable of benelli semi autos from SBE3 12 to ultra light 28. I really want to try an over/under this year, it’s kinda crazy when I sit back and think that I have never shot an over under in my 20yr bird hunting career, we grew up shooting benelli and just rode the wave…..

I’m wanting a do it all 20 gauge, 28” barrels. A gun I can shoot dove in September, quail/pheasants in fall, backyard trap and occasional sporting clays.

Models I’m considering:
Benelli 828U
Browning citori
Beretta 686 silver pigeon

Or just go buy a new Benelli Ethos sport 20 and wait another 20 years to try an O/U?

WormSportsman

Lil-Rokslider
I have shot a Ruger Red Label for the last 15 years or so. If I was buying one today it would be that 828U. If I didn’t have the red label I probably would have already picked up the Benelli as that thing comes up and points really nice.

jmez

WKR
Cliche but you are going to have to put your hands on some. They are going to mount, point, and swing different.

Better yet would be go to a clays/skeet range and see if you can actually shoot some.

Sent from my moto g power (2021) using Tapatalk

2ski

WKR
The nice thing about the 828 is it can be fitted to you if it doesn't. First time out each year with my Remington 870 I always have sore arms usually. From the weight and not being used go it. This year I carried around an 828u opening day and I could've carried it for days. First season with it so take it for what it's worth. If it wasn't for 828u I would buy the Silver Pigeon. That felt really nice in my hands.

Agree on @jmez point about what shoots best for you. Having said that, at my gun club, the citori is the most popular among the “serious” shotgun crowd.

Loper

WKR
I have a Cynergy because it fit me the best.

I would tell the OP to try to find a store (or stores) that had them in stock and pick the one that feels best in his hands.

I was looking for a 20 ga 28” O/U last year and ended up with a Browning Cynergy field model. Love the the way it fits and the ease and smoothness of opening the action.

Macintosh

WKR
beretta and benelli are the same company, they have different offerings but the fit and quality will be pretty darn similar. Browning quality is also good, but the fit will be different unless it is custom-fitted or it has shims that allow you to change the fit. If you own mainly benelli shotguns now, I would suggest staying with a beretta or benelli simply so the fits of the guns will be more similar to what you already own, and you wont have to re-train your body to conform around a gun that fits differently from the others.

I own Browning Citori Lightnings due to the fit. I also much prefer a Prince of Whales grip in the field.
I don't know if 3" 20s are the standard now but that's what I have and don't feel undergunned against wild late roosters.

Remington92

Lil-Rokslider
I'm a bit biased but similar to you. Have a whole heard of pumps and autos from Winchester 97 black diamonds to benelli sbe2. I've picked up a couple of O/U over the years and really wanted to like them but never could shoot them as well as the pumps and autos. The balance swing and fit was all off for me. The only O/U I have left is a cherry ithaca 500 20ga skeet skeet just because its so clean and tight and I don't think they made many with skeet skeet.

Id be all over the benelli ethos. A lightweight balanced 20ga auto is a beautiful thing. (I have a whole heard of old ithaca / skb 20ga autos for that reason) That being said does hurt to find a decent o/u worth the money and give it a shot to scratch the itch. I got lucky and made money on the o/u I had when I flipped them.

I like 686 or 687 Beretta 20 ga shotguns with 28" barrels. Carry great due to the shallow receiver and most important they fit me better than a Browning meaning I shoot them better too.